Where will the Transformers franchise go from here?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OPTIMUS GEOFF, May 6, 2012.

1. OPTIMUS GEOFF

OPTIMUS GEOFF Well-Known Member

So, I watched the Avengers the other night and I have to say it was pretty epic. After watching it though, I felt I had to come home and watch DOTM, I guess to compare the movies. I still feel DOTM was more epic as far as the battle scenes and such, but the Avengers' story line was pretty awesome. It got me thinking, where does the TF franchise go from here? While I like the Bay movies, mostly the battle scenes and explosions, the story line lacks a lot. We never really see much continuation in the three movies, and that hurts the story line. My question is, what do the writers do for the 4th and 5th movie? Is there going to be continuation, or just two more random movies?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    A reboot is the only thing that can save the franchise from being little more than dumb popcorn entertainment.

3. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 The best there is...

Like Harry Potter!

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah buddy. :thumb 

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Dumb popcorn has a right to entertainment too.

But yes, I feel live-action Transformers movies are unlikely to elevate themselves above their previous storytelling efforts without the serious shake-up a reboot provides. The money of BayFormere might be nice right now but it can't sustain forever.

6. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Hopefully anywhere that's far away from Michael Bay.

7. decepticreep312

decepticreep312 Well-Known Member

Reboot please. Oh and have a real Transformers fan be in charge, like how Matt Tieger was in charge of WFC and FOC.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The Transformers movies seem to run off the spectacle of special effects and explosions. Really not much in the way of story and characters as the story just seems like a way to push things to the next reason for robots to rip and hack apart other robots.

It's kind of funny though that Micheal Bay was talking about how the third film was it. Everything was going to be wrapped at the end of the third film so that the only way to move forward was going to be a reboot. Yet here they go with a fourth film with the same production crew only different human actors so what's really going to change if it's the same creative people as last time?

Where will the live action franchise go from here? Likely down. We saw less of a US box office take for Dark of the Moon than we did for Revenge of the Fallen so if the rest of the world gets on this trend we will see lower box office totals for the Transformers films. Still getting profits but not like in the past.

The problem with running on spectacle alone is that at some point people are going to get the feeling of been there done that when Prime easily slaughters his way threw all the Decepticons the film will throw at him. Without the support of story and character most people will just get tired of it all at some point.

9. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Reboot it. And keep Michael Bay away from Transformers.

And Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

And pretty much every other childhood icon that he intends to give the "Bay" touch.

10. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    The Mayan Prophecy must happen if this happened.

11. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I have to wonder if, no matter who is making it, the public might start to get bored of Transformers movies. Most movie franchises go through a cycle where they're the biggest thing ever for a few years and then people lose interest and it vanishes for a while until it seems fresh again (even if perhaps it actually isn't) or someone freshens it up by taking it in a different direction, or both.
    Judge: "Don't be afraid. Just show us on this movie exactly where Michael Bay touched your childhood."

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    "Who knows what adventures the Transformers will have between now and when the concept becomes unprofitable?"

So long as the films remain wildly financially successful, they will remain the template for the film franchise, and likely a pillar of tf merchandising. If the franchise is rebooted or abandoned, the franchise will change accordingly, probably shifting to fit the new film or to focus on a television show instead, respectively.

13. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    I'd rather have Prime be the focus (even if everyone thinks it sucks so much now)....then any sort of movie.

14. Firestorm777

Firestorm777 Banned

Well they shouldn't do a movie of what happened back on Cybertron because we have the comics, and If they make a forth movie the Decepticons are dead so I don't see a way there coming back so I don't know where their going to go.

15. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

This^. We need someone who actually cares about Transformers to properly write a story arc that will propel the franchise for years to come.

Bay's films wont carry for long, and Prime isn't likely to last beyond three to five seasons.

16. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Not everyone reads (the) comics though. Heck, I've read the comics and I still would like to see Cybertron further represented on the big screen. Maybe the general public would like to see some more Cybertron action too.
    I kinda wish we'd had an opening sequence set on Cybertron with Autobots doing a mission that would later impact of events on Earth. Sure DotM had a little of that with the Ark trying to escape and getting shot at, but I mean less faceless space ships and more metal boots on the ground bantering and so on as they go about doing vital war effort stuff.
    Cost is always an issue though but budgeted properly and intelligently I don't see why such a sequence couldn't be done.
    There are always methods in fiction to bring the dead back. Those methods might unfortunately be a bit lame on occasion but still nothing is impossible with storywriting.
    And it's not like all Decepticons are dead. The Decepticon army is thankfully more than just Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave and co.

17. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Movie wise - Probably rebooted.

Product wise - more bumblebee/degraded toys.

18. Steve2477

Steve2477 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Reboot, but what good is a reboot with the same director of the last TF trilogy? Keep Bay away!!!

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

From what we saw of Cybertron in the flashback in the first film it looked like a visually unappealing place. Not sure a whole movie with that background would be great. Plus the problem of every protoform seemed to be a silver color so all silver characters with a silver back ground could be rough to watch.

20. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    OP: "Where will the franchise go from here?"

People in this thread: "Here's where I want the franchise to go."