Where will the Cinematic Universe go from here?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Galvatron1998, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I know that at this point it is almost impossible to tell where the TFCU is going (except for knowledge of an animated prequel movie and a Bumblebee spin-off movie). We know that Mark Wahlberg (along with Nicola Peltz and Jack Reynor) has a three picture deal with Paramount (TF6 could take the spot of the third movie). With all of that being said where do you expect the Cinematic Universe to go after The Last Knight? If the writers room thought up enough stories to last us until 2025 where do you think certain character's stories will go and end? Here are my thoughts of how this universe will take shape:

- Mark Wahlberg will reprise his role of Cade Yeager for TF 6 and will leave the franchise after that.
    - Isabela Moner will reprise her role for the Bumblebee spin-off movie and will also be in TF 6 alongside Wahlberg.
    - Laura Haddock's character will return for TF 6 and will be one of the main human characters.
    - Josh Duhamel and Tyrese Gibson will survive TLK and will return for future installments, but only in smaller roles.
    - Anthony Hopkin's character will not make it past The Last Knight but will be brought up again in future installments.
    - Stanley Tucci will survive the events of TLK but will not be a major character in any of the future installments.

As far as robot characters go:
    - Optimus Prime will return to Cybertron at the end of TLK and either; A.)sacrifice himself to restore Cybertron, or B.)stay on Cybertron to help rebuild and welcome returning Autobots from throughout the stars. If he survives TLK then he will appear in TF 6.
    - Bumblebee will (obviously) survive TLK and appear in his own spin-off movie, which he also survives. He will appear in TF 6 but will gradually be replaced by Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime.
    - Hound will survive TLK and appear in the Bumblebee spin-off movie as a minor character. He will also return for TF 6.
    - Drift will survive TLK and will appear in the Bumblebee spin-off movie as a side character. He will also return for TF 6.
    - Crosshairs will not survive TLK.
    - Hot Rod will fill the leadership role in Prime's absence and will appear in the Bumblebee spin-off movie as a side character. He will return for TF 6 and in future installments of the franchise.
    - Grimlock will survive TLK and will have a small role in the Bumblebee spin-off movie. He will return for TF 6.
    - The Dinobots will be defeated (though not necessarily killed) in TLK and will make an appearance in TF 6.
    - Galvatron/Megatron will live to fight another day after TLK and will act as a sort of wild card in the TFCU (think Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels). He will return for TF 6.
    - Barricade will return for the Bumblebee spin-off movie as the main antagonist. He will survive to TF 6 but will be defeated by Bumblebee (think Cheetor versus Thrust at the end of Beast Machines).
    - The other Decepticons from the TLK will survive TLK but will act as a separate unit from Megatron under the command of Onslaught.

Films Outline:
    - Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)
    - The Bee Movie (2018)
    - Transformers: Six (2019)
    - Transformers: One (2020)
    - Transformers: Seven (2021)
    - Transformers: N.E.S.T. Spin-Off Movie (2022)
    - Transformers: Eight (2023)
    - Transformers: Starscream Spin-Off Movie (2024)
    - Transformers: Nine (2025)

Thoughts? Do I ramble on too much in my posts?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Primus Productions

Primus Productions Defender of the movieverse Veteran

News Credits:
    This may most likely happen. But as for Crosshair's death. I doubt they'll kill a character that they just introduced. That said, Everything else seem's right. Especially The Starscream Spin-Off. That excite's me the most.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

I really do not understand how they expect this Cinematic Universe concept to work when there simply isn't a "universe." The plotline of the films is linear and the only thing not being billed as a mainline story is the Bumblebee film.

That's like saying Transformers is a Cinematic Universe as much as the Fast and Furious films - except the latter actually retroactively did this better by Tokyo Drift being almost completely unrelated to the main films outside of retconning Han's entire existence and death as a lynchpin to anchor TD in the timeline after films 4 and 5, and Dom showing up at the end of the film which the sixth film expanded upon where TD left off. Except Fast and Furious is not billed as a cinematic universe.

Because the concept of a cinematic universe is that it is a bunch of variably relevant tangentially connected films that are all stand-alone in their own right but share common setting themes and like comic books, events of major repercussions for the world impact characters in even small ways that had nothing to do with said events. But mainly, each film does not star the exact same characters. This is where Transformers fails in the idea it can ever be a cinematic universe, because let's all be honest: they are never, EVER going to make a movie that does not have Prime or Bumblebee even in anything more than minor near-cameo roles to focus on a completely different group of transformers. Never going to NOT have Megatron be the villain in anything Prime is hogging CGI spotlight in. And never going to leave Earth.

• Like Like x 4
  4. toaprime

toaprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that many of these things will really happen! The way I see it is that the TFCU will continue to bring in/back Cons for the Bots to fight, as well as the Creators and their Minions. However, more is learned about the TFs' pasts and something with Unicron and Primus come to light, which the Creators made the TFs to fight. From there, the TFs must choose sides for the final movies.

I feel that your character choices, particularly Grimlock and the Dinobots are accurate as well!

• Like Like x 1
  5. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

I don't see Crosshairs or anyone dying so soon, maybe in a final installment but not yet. Also didn't they mention wanting to do a beast wars movie?

6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I hope they manage to make a Dinobots spin off movie because it would be a loss of potential not to do that. Not to mention it would also set up a possible Beast Wars type of story with them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. agent j 15

agent j 15 poopity-scoop

TLK is supposed to feature King Arthur and Merlin in modern day with Nazis at some point. Know where the cinematic universe can go? Straight in the trash.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    Dinobots, creators, time travel, merlin, nazis, WW2 and 1, 5 headed dragons, space travel, alternate realities, cube formers... i mean f**k, who knows where it's headed.

I'll watch whatever they put out but the only story i'd really be interested in is a story about starscream leading the cons while megs is frozen, perhaps against the wreckers.

Other than that i'll just dream of watching my head cannon turned into an official reboot!

9. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Hot Rod will be Bumblebee's sidekick

10. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I really don't know, because I don't really know what's possible for them to do. I mean, in this franchise, the story possibilities are endless, but when it comes to live action films, amount of CGI that can be used is limited. Unless animated films, like the Cybertron film they've spoken of, become the norm in this universe, I don't know if they really can do all that much, especially if the spin-off films are given smaller budgets to the films Bay directs.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I agree Transformers just doesn't have the qualities to call it an actual cinematic universe. They can string along a series of films until the franchise runs out of steam but calling it a cinematic universe feels like Paramount is just throwing around a hot buzz word because all the other studios are throwing around the word cinematic universe. People sometimes seem to think lots of characters equals a universe, but there is more to a fiction universe than just having a load of characters.

As to where the movie series will go, it's kind of anyone's guess. Rumors with the writers room would indicate that they wanted a road map instead of just make up as you go along each film. But a good deal is going to depend on what happens with the box office. Sony had big plans for years with Spider Man only to have it all scrapped when the box office wasn't good enough. Warner Brothers had lots of dark and brooding planned out until the box office wasn't good enough so light, fun, and hope needed to be injected. Paramount might have plans but if the box office doesn't look good enough I expect they will scramble with changes to get it up.

I'm rather pessimistic and I don't think Paramount can make this film series go with at least one movie every year until 2025.

• Like Like x 3
  12. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Maybe just spin-offs with each film having a different tale and different characters, with some characters appearing in all these films. Like what the X-Men and Star Wars films have planned.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Autobot Burnout

And see, this is where Transformers is going so wrong - the plots are WAY too chock full of concepts that go without explaining and suck up CGI, in addition to just white elephant garbage that could have gone to better things (AoE Gravity Ship anyone? You can't honestly say that was worth not having full transformation shots of all the Autobots given that was one of the most memorable moments of the first film), and the human presence is simply absurd even with the idea this is live action.

I mean, we know the TFs can talk in alt. mode, ROTF starts off with Skids blabbing his mouth off while bumbling around with the ice cream truck. To this day, why they can't just copy bloody Knight Rider and have the robots talk while in alt mode, establishing character through human interaction without needing CGI, is beyond me. It is literally just dubbing in voice overs which they already are doing when lip-syncing the mouths of the robots.

But AoE was in fact ensuring a golden opportunity for a cinematic universe was destroyed by killing off all but two of the surviving Autobots from the third film and downplaying the whole point the Deceptions exist in this franchise in favor of Fraiser trying to be a less trigger happy version of Hugh Jackman's character from Chappie. NEST doing global operations at the beginning of DOTM was the perfect set-up for a multi-story concept - hell, the very Human Alliance scouts even could've been the foundation for it as well. Limit the focus to one or two autobots and their human partners (riders + maybe an assault team from NEST) trying to stop a small scale plot of terrorism from a splinter cell Decepticon group of equal size (granted they'd need to make up some bad guys as there were only two HA Scout Decepticons but even the worst HA scout was pretty good so more toyline material is welcome in my book). Maintain the interaction and teamawork dynamic for the groups and BAM! It's basically the reason GOTG worked for insanely obscure heroes but with an Apocalypse Now/Tropic Thunder meets Sci-fi twist. Maybe even mix in all the excellent NEST period designs, like NEST Brawn whose transformation actually has him already going guns akimbo before he even finishes transforming, or Bludgeon who is a semi-modern Japanese tank armed with missiles and a giant fucking sword from the tank barrel. They just need to learn to use what they have when writing these stupid movies and focus on getting the most out of as few core concepts as possible. Shoving in too damn much at once is precisely what led to the demise of the original G1 toyline in the late 80's - Head/Target/Powermasters! Duocons! Sixchangers! Pretenders! Micromaster bases! Sparkbots/cons! Non-Transforming Action Masters! Fortress Maximus!

Now, before I get lambasted by people who like those gimmicks - specifically headmasters given what Titans Return is all about - I just want to clarify that these secondary gimmicks when executed with enough effort are good on their own. But so much was being tried and rushed out the door to the point they didn't even doublecheck if they packaging had the names right on the basis of making sense (I.E. G1 Flywheels litterally does not have wheels - no sculpted ones because he's a tank and no actual wheels to roll him along. His companion Battletrap however, has functional alt. mode wheels). But the movies are doing the same mistakes - shoving in legitimately good concepts to the point they're all suffering in execution for a lack of focus. Even the AoE Dinbots are underutilized despite being on every article of advertisement and the thing involving dinosaur metal does not tie into them at all - instead the majority of the plot is about human made Transformer knockoffs and basically the bastard metalic child element of the Vector Sigma key and the Bubonic Plague.

I think the best example of the truth you're bringing up is comparing the two Avengers films. The first film is fantastic character humor and the bad guy also happens to be simply the best character in the entire MCU. The second film...well technically the stakes are higher than the first but the characters aren't as tight and they spend too much time trying to set up the next phase of the MCU so it isn't nearly as strong in comparison despite having more big name characters involved.

With WB, they're trying desperately to make their movies reach the point the MCU is at now, but are rushing too hard and it shows. Which is unfortunate given they tend to do better in the animated specials than Marvel - why they can't just have THOSE writers handle the live action films instead is beyond me.

They'll run out of ancient conspiracies if nothing else :lol 

Again, that would mean they would make a film where Prime and Bumblebee are not major staring characters. It's just not happening.

14. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    TRANSFORMERS 6: Turns out this ancient Earth thing is actually Cybertronian, and Optimus/Bumblebee and friends must get it to stop a certain fan-favorite Decepticon. Michael Bay vows this is his last TF movie.
    TRANSFORMERS 7: Turns out this ancient Earth thing is actually Cybertronian, and Optimus/Bumblebee and friends must get it to stop a certain fan-favorite Decepticon. Michael Bay vows this is his last TF movie.
    TRANSFORMERS 8: Turns out this ancient Earth thing is actually Cybertronian, and Optimus/Bumblebee and friends must get it to stop a certain fan-favorite Decepticon. Michael Bay vows this is his last TF movie.
    TRANSFORMERS 9: Turns out this ancient Earth thing is actually Cybertronian, and Optimus/Bumblebee and friends must get it to stop a certain fan-favorite Decepticon. Michael Bay vows this is his last TF movie.
    TRANSFORMERS ∞: Turns out this ancient Earth thing is actually Cybertronian, and Optimus/Bumblebee and friends must get it to stop a certain fan-favorite Decepticon. Michael Bay vows this is his last TF movie.

It'd be grand if they actually tried for a true "cinematic universe", as in a collection of series that happen to take place in the same world. Jetfire and the Seekers could've made for a fun period piece, the Dinobots deserve more than they got in AoE, and maybe we could literally explore the universe with somebody or other (Lockdown would've been great for this had he survived). Oh but none of these would involve the latest supercars, we can't have that.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    This comment is so spot on i could kiss it.

16. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I think this is the likely route they'll take. Not only will it give characters that needed more screentime a chance to shine on their own but will also fix up plot holes the previous movies have made.

I don't see how characters like Jetfire and Lockdown can't have spin off movies because they died. It's not stopping Disney and Lucasfilms from making a Han Solo spin off movie even though he died in TFA. Spin off movies aren't restricted to a certain time period so if anything having them get spin off movies of their own will help give more insight to their personalities and again show more of the world around them.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

...yep, pretty much. Any sort of 'prequel'-type spinoff I suspect will be affected by whatever product placement gets shoved in, as well as the need to put human characters in forward focus.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Autobot Burnout

No, they would rather kill any Autobots who need more screen time to shine on their own than actually make films about them and not Optimus or Bumblebee.

Because they are not really that deep in character. The former is the old exposition-of-plot-history guy who sounds like he had a badass job but he was also a Decepticon before deciding he didn't like them and then flew off to Earth where he's been in hiding so long he needed a piece of AllSpark to turn back on. He can not carry a movie.

And the latter? Pff. He's bland as hell because he couldn't even have his own personal motivation for being involved - he's literally the hired help because the filmmakers were so lazy they opted for just saying he was doing work for a bunch of dudes who shot lasers at dinosaurs and they couldn't bother just making them the Quints or the Vok outright. And his whole stupid fleet was simply the vehicle for delivering the even less plot relevant Dinobots and Prime's sword because at some point they finally realized that all this ancient alien shit being on Earth simultaneously kinda is pathetic plot writing. So they just have Lockdown hand-deliver it instead. Additionally, at no point in AoE is it in question he's a bad guy - compared to say the original Animated Lockdown who from the start had more interesting stuff going on:
    - frankenstien-inspired build of stolen modifications and weapons
    - his personal history with Ratchet
    - the fact that while he leaned more toward the Decepticons because they hired him more, he was true neutral because ironically two of the three episodes primarily featuring him, he's working with Autobots to capture Decepticons.
    - revealed to be tied with Prowl by being an ex-Autobot ninja who killed the sensei guy and kept the helmet which Prowl evevntually retakes (and slightly more indirectly sets up how Prowl saves Detroit from getting nuked in the final episode at the cost of his own life)
    - is the single most influential character of the entire Animated backstory because HE is the one who stole all the protoforms from the ninja temple (setting up Sari and the Lugnut Supremes) and the whole business where he captured Arcee and Ratchet during the war (which led to Ratchet's war scar, Arcee's amnesia leading into Ratchet forced into the mentor bond with Omega Supreme and why he's a crank old guy on garbage detail, the entire resolution of S2 into the majority if not entirety of S3 with the revived OS, and then the Decepticons kidnapping Arcee to force-aquire the control codes that lead to the creation of the Lugnut Supremes).

And that's just a guy who showed up for one episode per season (+ a reference as 'mutual bounty hunting friend' from Swindle's introductory episode).

With AoE Lockdown, he just isn't a character as he is a plot device antagonist. Sure, he's got the ships and all the junk, but that just illustrates more on what he does, not who he is. He is no Boba Fett.

And Darth Vader is in Rogue One, big deal. The point is Star Wars spans decades even between the OT and the first three episodes, there's plenty of space to shove in people doing stuff during those undefined periods.

Transformers makes sure that does not happen. Of the few gaps there are, it is impossible to have anybody do anything of significance that would change their standing in any way that does not align with a future film. The characters simply aren't dymanic enough and the plots too formulaic to suggest they are even capable of writing a plot that does not in fact have the stakes set at minimum to the destruction of the human race by some means of cybertronian bullshit. I mean, come on, of what little we know of TF5, it is that there is yet another goddamn cybertronian piece of crap mcguffin set at the center of activity.

I mean come on, after four films of the exact same plot, the very idea they pull this writers room stuff where the writers of the original movies aren't involved, and all we know is THE EXACT SAME PLOT MCGUFFIN DEAL is happening because the patterns the last four times are showing up again here, it is hard to believe they're going to even consider not changing it up by not relying on the humans to define every single part of the plot and just hamfist robot conspiracy into it all. They say don't fix things that aren't broken, but by not rebooting the films in line with generational refreshing of the target market that's kept the franchise live over the past 30 years, they're breaking the still functioning system at the franchise's foundation.

You mean more of Earth? Because Optimus Prime freakin' flew into space and - oh look we're still on Earth. And Prime comes back too apparently. Yeah that's a real setting development - just going from China to London.[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 1
  19. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    And how do you know they will never make movies without Prime and Bee, have you read the scripts/outlines for the post-TF7 movies??

Even if they reboot that doesnt mean they will fix every issue they had in the current saga, they could do the same thing if they wanted, they could still do the "There was an ancient TF artifact in Earth all along" again or center on the humans, etc.

20. Autobot Burnout

They'll never make a film without Bumblebee because they still think he's a money-printing kid appeal character (though the massive 'hives' of his variant toys during DOTM would beg to differ) and they can't have a film without Prime because he's both the second most popular Autobot and since litterally no Autobot lives long enough to be seen as a worthwhile possible replacement other than Bumblebee...who they could have NOT had in AoE but instead simply mentioned he's in hiding with the Witwickys...seriously, those two are the franchise at this point. Not the idea of transforming robots in general, just those two main characters.

Well of course not, given a reboot would just drop this trainwreck of a film series and allow them to start from scratch where everybody with familiar names that isn't Megatron, Prime, or BB isn't dead.

You are literally saying they can do a Transformers movie with no transformers by entering the same dumbass plot exclusively on humans. You do realize this, right?

• Like Like x 1