Where/when/why/from who did we get our toys as a kid?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TrueNomadSkies, Feb 17, 2012.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    So basically, I'm curious to hear where some of us got our shit from, and if we remember any reasons that lead to us choosing it over something else or even wanting it at all. Also, do we still have them today?

For example, I remember getting G2 Sideswipe as my 1st transformer from Sears. I think I wanted Optimus Prime, Devastator or Soundwave at the time, but when my dad saw it in the isle & pointed out that it was a black lambo, I was instantly sold. I still have it today, although he's kinda beaten up & missing some parts.

Along with that, I remember getting the G2 Ramjet from the same Sears, and mainly taking a liking to it because I wanted something that wasn't a car & that was a bad guy. I don't remember how or where I got Jazz, but it was probably a birthday present or something, and both of the cars got smuggled with me whenever I'd to to speedskating meets because the majority of the days involves chilling in the arena & waiting for the 2 minute race. He's no longer with me, but I think the kid/s who ended up with it enjoyed him a lot, so it's all good.

Then when it came to shit I didn't get from my parents, Green Slag, Inferno & Scorch come to mind, and these were basically brought with my Grandma when she came to visit from Greece. All of these are still in my collection today, and oddly enough, in rather close proximity on my "old shit" Autobot shelf.

Actually, I can remember where most of my shit came from, Jazz probably being the only exception when it comes to fuzzy memories.

... go!

2. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

I was lucky as a kid, my mom worked at a couple retail stores and was able to hijack good stuff as it came in. I remember getting my first Transformer for my birthday one year... G1 Prime. I also got the Constructicons, Airealbots, some Predecons, Jazz, Soundwave, and Mirage while she worked at a Kmart. Layaway was awesome!!! Most of my other G1 stuff came from family members. For Christmas one year, all the male cousins got a different dinobot from Grandma. I got Grimlock. I still have Grimlock and Prime, though Prime is really beat up. Probably my favorite toy as a kid.

But yeah, I can probably tell you where each toy came from, and there's usually a story to go with...

3. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I only had a tiny handful of TFs as a kid, mainly because we were poor and toys were usually low on the priority list. My mom bought me Perceptor for Christmas one year; she somehow guessed that he was one of my favorites without me telling her, way to go, Mom! :thumbs2:  I saved up birthday and chore money and bought Soundwave and Rumble+Ravage for myself. And there was always the time my brother and I asked for TFs from a different relative for Christmas...he got a Gobot, and I got one of the Voltron lions. Boo!

My lack of TF toys as a kid probably has a lot to do with why the toys aren't very important to me as an adult...I don't have the same amount of good nostalgic memories with toys as I do with the fiction that came on tv for free, or 75 cents at the spinner rack.

4. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I actually had this awesome toy store in the middle of our town. Not a TRU, or a walmart or target but an actual store that specialized in toys. I think it was called "Henry's". Place was kind of a junk store on the main floor, but their basement was their toy shop. Was stocked on everything from G1 TF's to Joe's to every type of model you could imagine. Thats where my parents got me a good majority of my first transformers cause we didn't even have a kmart in town yet.

Once the big retail stores starting hitting it was hard for those little mom and pop places to exist, and I think this place only made it to the early 90's (if that). But man was it awesome as a little kid. It was like an adventure if we just got to go there to look around, even if I didn't come home with any new toys.

5. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    You know, that reminds me of this placed called Tramps Comics where I used to go as a kid, mostly for the TF Comics. The funny thing was that back then, most of em were like 25 or 50 cents, meaning that it cost my parents more on gas to go there than to actually get the comic. That's probably one of the reasons why I'd mainly get em when we were already going somewhere & I tagged along.

If anything, I get just as much nostalgia from the comics (if not more) than I do from the comics (as Greyley mentioned), and it just seems to grow when I open em up again because the worlds & memories really start to resonate again.

Also about the big retailers, there were a few (I was born in 87, so my early memories would've been in the mid 90s), but they usually never had the big toys. Like, I got some constructicons (Scrapper & Mixmaster) at Superstore & minibots at Sears (I actually got a lot of shit here), but none of these places had the larger toys. I remember my parents having to order the G2 Optimus Prime (G1 mold with black coloured trailer) from a Consumers Warehouse cataloge, and that thing being a base of sorts for years.

Good times were good. :) 

6. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I remember some moments.

I remember getting BW Iguanas at Walmart across the river from Louisville, KY as a kid. I still remember playing with it in the car as we were crossing the bridge. Still got it with me, along with the TM 2 version.

I also remember getting BW Cheetor from Toys R US. Still got it, on display with the other BW show figures I have.

Then I have memories of getting BW Quickstrike and Airhammer at the same time at a different Walmart. Both of which I still have.

I still remember getting G1 Astrotrain from one of my brother's old teachers from the 3rd grade. Still got it, though I had no idea who it was for several years after I got it.

I still remember getting BW TM 2 Spittor for my 12th birthday, I had picked it out in advance from Walmart and my parents let me have it a few days later. Still have it, one of my favorite figures.

7. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    We never had much money, so I loved combiners because I could get a new toy each time and yet in the end I'd have a huge toy. Sure, Silverbolt and Onslaught cost more, but for the rest it was a great way to always get a new toy each month or so and still not have to settle with only a little dude. So for my early days, I got all the G2 combiners, minibots and gobots but very few of the larger toys. I can still remember the day my aunt treated me to G2 Sideswipe - it was a big deal to get a larger guy! Another memory I have is going to Consumers and ordering a Grimlock and being very suprised that he arrived blue. I was a little sad initially, but I still have that guy and he's a treasured part of my collection now. I even reprolabeled him (this time putting the stickers in the right places) and bought replacement weapons.

I always wanted G2 Prime I think I must have worn out the batteries making him say I AM OPTIMUS PRIME over and over in the store. Finally getting that toy is one of my adult collector goals, I just keep getting distracted by new stuff.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    My maternal grandfather spoiled me silly when I was a kid, more than making up for my parents' austere-at-best treatment; t'was he who bought me nearly every TF in my G1 collection. They're still with me, and in great condition. You were the man, Granddad. I still miss you. :( 

9. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    All I had to do was ask and my mom would take me to the store. This usually worked. If it didn't I would cry and tell her how much I hated her, which would last until the weekend when she had time take me, then she would take me.

If there was a toy that was like hard to find and a store really far away had it, I would make my dad drive out there and get it.

One time my parents drove me 100 miles to get these Rugrats dolls I really wanted.

10. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hahhah, I was kinda wtfing at my Slag being a different could too (not grey), but after a little while I was like you know what, this green dude is 10x better than the boring grey ones everyone else can get here & I liked it even more from then on. Actually, he was one of the few that I rarely played with because I genuinely didn't wanna fuck it up, but I managed to lose the sword anyway :( 

I can relate to the I AM OPTIMUS PRIME thing too, except that I was always really anal about not wasting the batteries on that shit, and that's probably why his & Ramjet's still work perfectly today. However, I never did manage to complete my combiner (even today). I ended up finding a KO Longhaul & Bonecrusher from a dollar store that joined my team, but I never had Hook or Scavenger, let alone the connector parts. Maybe I'll get around to completing it someday, but its really not a big deal to me now. Seems like an alright trade off.

Also to Jetbolt, I didn't know who Scorch was until a few months ago. When I was younger, I just called him Blazer because I thought he looked like one & because his gun looked like a flame thrower.

However when it came time for Beast Wars to surface, I made damn sure to know wtf everything was, and Dinobot was my 1st. I remember going to multiple stores without luck, not wanting anything else except for him, seeing the white Grimlock repaint all the time, raging for weeks... and then finally getting my paws on Dinobot from Superstore I believe. Then came the big Primal & Megatron, and I didn't really get or even want anything else until the Transmetals came out. I guess by this time my Grandma wasn't spoiling me with toys anymore because I'd "outgrown" that stuff... or so we thought haha.

11. snoopcow

snoopcow Yara Naika?

from being an overachiever in school, and doing errands for neighbours.. back then toys were dirt cheap

12. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Haha...

I could barely get by in school, but part of the fact that I lived definitely came from this shit. And actually, I'm curious to find out exactly how much these things were in Canada when I was younger because while I remember them being really expensive, maybe it just had to do with everything being expensive when I had no money.

13. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i remember getting tidalwave as my first i never really watched the show but all my friends had some so i got one i lost it when i moved still looking for one

i remember getting my first movie fig duluxe barricade i loved him and still keep him on my shelf after getting him the same day i convinced my dad to get me bumblebee

14. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    When I was a kid my toys came from the following stores

Service Merchandise
    Best
    Lionel Playworld
    Circus World
    Kay Bee Toys
    Toys R Us
    Ames
    A & P
    Kash And Karry

15. kiko315

kiko315 Well-Known Member

G1 Sidewipe was my very first TF, and my mom bought it for me. Dad got me G1 Optimus Prime. Both of them got me G1 Combaticons for Christmans, and were amazed at how I was able to form one big figure, and realized why I wanted those 5 specific figs at that time.

Now, all that remains from those 7 figs is Onslaught. I lost Sideswipe and Prime to my younger cousins, thanks to my mom (in this case, Charity is an evil trait). The rest of the Combaticons I lost to a landslide called my younger sister.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    As a kid there was a store here called Great Western that I got most of my G1s from, as well as K-Mart and Fred Meyer. We'd also travel to Salt Lake quite a bit and I remember getting a few of them from the ZCMI toy section or Hansens in the Crossroads Mall. We finally got our Toys R Us in '89 and I remember seeing the Micromasters there but I had started getting into Ninja Turtles so I don't really recall getting any Transformers there until G2 hit and I got Sideswipe and Jazz, which I never got during G1.

17. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think Jazz & Sideswipe were two of the main G2 figures around at the time, and with Inferno & Ramjet being the slightly larger ones from the wave of sorts. I remember getting some Micromasters too (which got really popular along with the Mighty Max stuff), and so were the combiners. Speaking of which does this sound like Garry Chalk & the Beastie Boys to you?

-

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Mostly from my mother. I think she bought me my first ever TF back in 1984 and she still throws the occasional one my way, such as DotM Ultimate Optimus for last Christmas.
    Without my mother supporting my interest in TF I'm sure my collection would be much smaller.

As for where the early figures were purchased from it was usually Woolworths, Argos, Zodiac Toys, Beatties or a mail order catalogue like John Moores.

19. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I didn't get too many TFs as a kid, in fact I didn't like the idea of cool things turning into boring "humans" (well, humanoids). I was utterly obsessed with dinosaurs, reptiles, birds, mantids --animals and monsters, really-- so most of the toys I got were along those lines (Power Rangers, TMNT, Darkwing Duck, Jurassic Park, etc.)
    I think the only TFs I got were the three G2 Dinobots and a trio of Fuzors (Buzzclaw, Terragator, Sky Shadow), and those were because they were animals. And I'm sure there is some correlation with the Jurassic Park line, as it "coincidentally" came out at the same time as the Dinobots and had hybrids of 2+ creatures at the same time as the Fuzors.

I think my parents got those 6, all from either KB or TRU (KB was much closer, so probably there), either for birthday/Christmas or just because.

20. EmbraceThePurpl

EmbraceThePurpl Purple Dinosaur

I remember my first transformer....i got it the day my brothers parakeet died. my mom got him Armada Sideways to make him feel better... my mom didnt want me to feel left out so..i got Armada Blurr. i Still have him.and he is awesome