Where were you on September 11th, 2001?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darthbane2007, Sep 8, 2009.

1. HighBeam

HighBeam Maximal Command Security

I was just starting the 4th grade(school was 5 or so miles away) and I happened to be looking out the window when I saw the towers collapse, a couple minutes later everyone was looking out the windows asking wtf was going on, another teacher burst in the class room and said there was a terrorist attack the whole school was evacuated and canceled that day. Being one of the younger members here on the forums just gives me a different perspective of it.Last year (11th grade) we got new textbooks in US history that actually mentioned 9/11 which made me feel kinda old

2. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
    Yep, I was in DC working. I could see the smoke coming out of the Pentagon. I for some reason had my digital camera with me and took a photo of it.

[​IMG]

I still remember that day as if it was yesterday.

3. on_a_warpath

on_a_warpath OAW 2010

I was waiting for school to start in the First grade when I heard about them. I guess, being younger, I didn't really understand what had happened.

4. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I was home recovering from back surgery. I was so doped-up on pain medication while watching it on tv, that when I woke up the next day I thought that I dreamed the entire thing. Sadly, I did not.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    thinking back the only tragedy that has effected me as much as 9/11 was the explosion of the space shuttle challenger on January 28th 1986 as i was just 14 at the time and the whole school was watching it as were most other schools across the country because of Christa McAuliffe the first and only participant of the teachers in space program as it was canceled shortly after the disaster, and like 9/11 i can remember where i was i was in science class watching it on TV

6. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

I was in my 1st grade class room.
    We didn't watch the news coverage of the
    Twin towers collapsing, mostly because we were so young.

7. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was my sisters' birthday in so we were in our house

8. BradTheMad

BradTheMad Well-Known Member

I was in a gallery getting interviewed by a local newspaper. Needless to say the interview got printed weeks after what happened that day. I still remember getting home, turning on the tv and just not believing what I was seeing. After the first shock settled I started calling around to see if everybody I knew living near those areas were okay. Cost me fortune calling overseas but I just couldn't bear not knowing.
    A friend of mine who worked near the Towers still suffers from it to this day, not just emotionally but her lungs are seriously messed up by all the dust she inhaled :(  I just hate it when people say the victims, relatives etc. should just move on. If it only it were that simple.

9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Ironing my BDU's. I didn't usually turn on the TV while doing it, but that morning I did. Saw the second hit and knew everything had changed. I got to my federal technician job at my local Air National Guard, and we spent the day formulating plans for fortification and defense of our little tiny patch of earth, which was a nice little target of opportunity should anyone have chosen to come across the Canadian border again (we were only about 15 minutes from the border crossing where the guy going to LA was caught, and were butt spliced to the municipal airport), locating fellow techs who'd left the base and didn't know, and fielding calls from our members wondering if everyone was going to be immediately called up. We also had to figure out how we were going to get food while locked down under Delta, since the base only stocked food right before the monthly weekend, and that had happened only a week or so before.

Funny in a macabre sort of way was that was the day that Combat Control had brought up the necessary components for us to update our Vietnam War M-16's from 1969 to the present. There wasn't a tech there who wouldn't have ignored the union rules against techs carrying loaded guns (yeah, stupid rule!) to mow down terrorists if they showed up. But doing the work of swapping parts was a good way to keep ourselves occupied once everything else was finished, before they lifted Delta. Maybe they wouldn't have worked against a bomb or whatever might have been thrown at us, but it felt good to be handling a means to defend ourselves and our loved ones, 'cause if the terrorists came over the border, we were the only ones standing in their way. Its a very, very sobering thing to know.

That's pretty much how it felt that day. I have slightly different feelings on certain things about that day now, but discussing them would violate board rules.

--Moony

10. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Stepfather woke me up saying that New York had some planes crash into the Trade Towers.

Thought he was joking

11. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    College Computer lab. Sitting and chatting on allspark. Someone said someone flew a plane into the WTC. I thought it was some idiot Cesna student pilot. How wrong I was...

12. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    High school. In art class when I first heard about it.

13. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
    Sadly, I remember this too.

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    It was my Dad's birthday that day. I woke up with the intention of going to school and then helping celebrating his birthday that night after my dad got back from his business flight. Heard about it on the news when I walked into the kitchen for breakfast. We wound up not celebrating that night.

He got stranded in Denver.

15. TMIIWonkoNemi

TMIIWonkoNemi Well-Known Member

At school.We got an assembly a few hours after school started and the principal started talking about the Sept.11 attacks,and I went 'What is she talking about?Something happened long time ago?'

It wasn't until I went home and saw my mom watching CNN about New York,the Towers,and so on,and I still went 'A plane went to the building?It's horrible,and it does seem like a big deal I guess'

Cue years later,and Canada gets involved in a US War.

'What?!'

16. ghostwave

ghostwave Lets make BISCUITS!!

I was at IHOP....i dont remember anything about the towers,but I remember my mom freaking out when we got home. i was to young to understand what was going down...

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was at home getting ready to go to class, second year of my undergraduate studies. I caught the initial reports and the first tower had been hit, can't remember whether the second had been hit yet, then I had to leave for school. When I got to school, everyone was standing in the hallways watching the coverage on CNN on the TVs that were distributed all around the campus. I was still living in Canada then (Calgary), so, in retrospect, I'm surprised that the school ground to a halt like that.

18. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I was asleep. Then I heard the news, saw the world start to fall apart, so I went back to sleep again and paid the whole thing no heed.

19. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I was at work pulling charts in the medical records department. A few of us were just listening to the radio.

20. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    I was being a dumb baby saying nothing but "GAGOOBA".