Where were you? 9-11

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kronos, Sep 11, 2006.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    SInce this is the 5th anniversary of 9-11 attacks, I thaught I would commemorate it my own way by asking a simple question, where were you when the news broke?

I was in a dead sleep and for some reason i found myself wide awake suddenly. I had just turned the TV on when the news broke of the first plane hitting the tower. I was then glued to the TV for months just in awe and haveing a feeling of sorrow. I remember crying allot. I didnt lose anyone i knew, but I still felt sorrow for those families.

I will never forget.

2. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I was at home sleeping and something woke me up. I went downstairs to see my parents watching TV... I remember asking them what movie they were watching, but it was the news.

I remember going outside and being able to see the smoke plume from my house. I live in Northern Jersey and it was just really surreal to witness that from this distance.

3. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

My wife woke me way earlier than expected that morning so I knew something was up. I walked into the living room and saw the footage of the second plane and just sat down right there on the floor where I stood, totally stunned.

4. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I heard the phone ring early in the morning and my Dad came into my room to answer it and I heard "A plane has hit the tower?" so it got me up. I spent pretty much the rest of the day sitting on the kitchen table watching the news reports. You can be sure I won't forget.

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I was still living in Vegas... I believe it was my senior year at UNLV... I was asleep and my sister called me from Taiwan telling me "WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!!!" I ran to the TV and watched CNN from then on... After I turned on the TV, I called Viv in Massachusetts and woke her up...

By the time I turned on the TV, both planes had already hit the WTC, the third plane already hit the Pentagon, and the fourth already went down in Pennsylvania...

I was glued to the TV from that day on for what seemed like months... I slept on the couch every night... I skipped all my classes for a few days... I just couldn't go to class with all that happened... Most of my professors cancelled classes for a day or two... But I remember my asshole Finance professor refused to cancel class... I barely passed that class... What a fucking asshole...

6. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm from the Philippines but I was in Antioch, CA for a vacation with my Dad. We don't normally tune into CNN after breakfast. I saw the news in msn.com when I went to check my email. By that time, the 2nd plane had already hit.

The events later that day was surreal as malls and some other places closed for the day. The events that day were something you'd never expect to happen in the US.

7. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

I was asleep at home when my mom called and woke me. She asked if I had the tv on, I said no, and she told me to turn it on, that the world trade center was attacked. I saw the second plane hit, and spent the rest of the afternoon watching parts of the news.

I remember having to go to work at 4pm at my crap summer job at TRU, I went, still kinda in a daze at the events of the day. When I walked in a manager whom I didn't get along with walked over and told me I was fired. Was home again by around 4:30 and went back to the news.

8. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I was actually getting ready for work, I was twenty. My mom called me into her room and that was when I saw what I thought was the first plane hitting the tower, but it was actually the second.

I went to work in a daze, saw that all the Wal-Mart tvs were tuned to the news and that was when I got word that the plane hit the Pentagon. At the pharmacy where I worked everybody just stood around the radio listening to the news reports as they came in. Several hours later I had one of my regulars come in. She looked as though she had a very rough day. Found out her daughter was suppose to be on one of the planes that hit the towers. She couldn't get hold of her daughter and had thought she had been killed. Then after about four hours after the attacks her daughter calls saying that for some unknown reason she had decided to take a flight early on Sept. 10th. The lady as she was telling me this was crying hysterically. I quickly went around the cash counter to give her a hug. To this day, remembering that moment still gets me teary.

9. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

At home sleeping. But I decided to wake up and found my dad watching the news... When I saw what happened, I couldn't believe it. "Oh. My. God." was all I could say.

I'll never forget that heinous, yet horrible day.

10. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I remember sleeping in that day.

September 11th, 2001 was just a day short of a year from a bad car accident that I still feel from. I was home sick that day, or out for awhile, due to an illness. My Mom came into my room saying that my older brother just called saying a plane crashed into the first tower.

By the time I had gotten up, and to the TV, I saw the second plane hit the second tower. I couldn't believe it, and thought I was still dreaming because it was so surreal. I dreamt that something bad was to follow before I woke up that day, but when I saw the video my stomach sank.

One of my uncle's lost many friends, and for awhile, we thought we might've lost him. I truly feel for all of the families who lost family as a result of the falling towers. Sadly, I don't think the World Trade Centers will be the last terrorist attack on the United States.

11. tapestry100

tapestry100 poke a badger w/a spoon TFW2005 Supporter

I was at work when the news first came over the radio about the first plane hitting and remember how sketchy all the news was at first - i had just been in NYC visiting friends over labor day weekend and by the time the news came of the second plane, i was frantic trying to get ahold of anybody that had heard from my friends, as i couldn't get thru to them - sometime after the attacks, they called to let me know that they had actually arrived back in MI the day before for the funeral for a friend of theirs who had died unexpectedly - i just cried on the phone in relief that they were ok - i went to my mom's house on my lunch to watch the news, and we watched for most of the rest of the day at my office - that night i couldn't watch any more news, so i took about a 3 hour walk to try to clear my head

12. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I was sleeping in Los Angeles and my family friend called me around 10am and told me in chinese that a plane has hit a building. I couldn't make out what he was saying exactly and thought he was joking so he told me to just turn on the TV. I did and it's the most surreal moment of my life. I still remember the day the Challenger blew up and 9/11 eclipsed that by a mile.

13. subterfuge

subterfuge Member

my recollections of the event 5 years ago can be 'seen' here. god bless ya'll. :) 

14. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    I was at work, when my mum called to ask me if I had heard the news, a plane had crashed into the WTC. I thought she meant a small cessna or somesuch, but when I went online, me and my co-worker were shocked at what we saw, and then the second plane hit...
    My boss came back from lunch about half an hour later, totally shocked, she had been listening to the news in her car.
    We were glued to the radio and the pictures online troughout the day, people from neighbouring companies were coming in to see and hear, if they didn't have radio or internet access. The newsagent across the street had put up a tv and the store was completely full of people watching.

15. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Well it was a primary election day here in Minnesota. I turned off the morning talk radio about 7:30 (CDT) to get cleaned up to go vote. I left about 8. I walked to the polling place to vote, only to find out there was no election (the town I live in does not hold primary elections for city offices, I did not know that at the time, because this would have been the first election since I move to here).

I got home at about 8:20 and turned on the tv. I was watching ABC (5 here)the night before so that was what it was set to. I see a picture of the towers burning. I think to myself "wow what awesome special effects". I then flip to the next channel, CBS (4 here) I see the same thing. I say "OH SHIT". I turn to FOX news and turn on the Talk Radio. I watch, and listen, in horror and disgust. When the towers fell a little while later I was almost in tears. Thinking up to 50,000 people were dead.

Then the reports come in that the Pentagon was hit. I worry about my cousin who is a civilian employee there, hoping she was not killed or hurt. She is a single mother with 2 young kids. Thankfully she was not in the building at the time, she was on the way to Andrews AFB. When news came over the radio of the attack on the Pentagon the officer she was with took her to a metro station and told her to go home. She did.

I remember work that day was tough. It was slow as hell. and all anyone wanted to do is know what happened. Most places in town closed up, we decided not to.

It was a rough day for most people in this country (I would like to tay all, but there are some sickos out there in this nation who were happy to see this happen). I will, as long as I live, never forget what happened that day. That day really changed everything.

16. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Oi. The fun-ness of reliving the worst week of my entire life.

9/5/01 - My mother passed away rather quickly and quite unexpectedly after a battle with MS and Multiple Myeloma.

So come 9/11/01, I was still home from work on "grevance" leave. I had woken up early because there were still "estate" things to be taken care of. Had Howard Stern on, as was the usual routine, and because Howard can always cheer me up. While eating breakfast and listening to Howard, had Fox News on to read the news ticker scrolling across the bottom. After about 4 minutes, saw the first note of a plane hitting the WTC. 40 minutes or so later, a plane hit the Pentagon. With my Uncle working in the Pentagon, and after just losing my mother, I was a wreck. Spent the next 6 hours making phone calls trying to find out the status of my Uncle. Found out later he was lucky. He and many others were out of their offices at the time in a lobby watching what was happening in NYC when the plane hit the Pentagon. His office was one of the ones destroyed by the plane. Most people only seem to remember the WTC, because of the major civilian casualties, but there were plenty of Civilian losses at the Pentagon as well sadly.

The rest is, as cliched as it sounds, history.

PS - If you can ever get a copy of Howard Stern's 9/11 show, do it. It's some of the most amazing and compelling radio you'll ever hear. I still listen back to it once a year. He was on for almost 7 hours that day, right in the heart of Manhatten reporting as things were happening. One of the only communications between people in a city where cellphone service was spotty. They've also got a special on now on HowardTV onDemand. First time ever they've aired the instudio footage of the 9/11 show. Some pretty powerful stuff if anyone has it on their cable provider to watch.

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Was at my old home here in Louisville just waking up. Howerd Stern wa on the radio and that Ralph guy called in the show and was like "Dude, a building is on fire!"
    Was wide awake from there on. Went to a friends house, tried to wake him up but could'nt , so climed thrrough his kitchen window and woke him up.
    We watched the news until dark. Remember RID was supposed to be airing but did'nt even care to check.

18. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

I was in class in my senior year of college. I remember another professor coming to the door and interrupting our lecture, and then our prof turned to the class and said "The World Trade Center has been attacked, as well as the Pentagon. We need to pray." So we did.

We finished class and then I went back to my room, where I spent the rest of the day watching television, until that night, when I took my then fiancee, now wife, out for a nice steak dinner, to get our mind off of things.

19. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

the day before I had came home very late-I used to go school from 2-9 and I had come home at 11 because I hanged with friends playing pool and finished homework at like 1 am

anyhow I was sleeping on my bed and at 6 am(cuz my dad was working on the internets on my work station and on those days I wasnt use to the noise made by the power suply) I moved to sleep to my sister room, and then my mom entered the room saying WTC had been attacked, I didnt wake up, until the second tower fell in.and I saw the images of the crash over and over again. the day the news reports on every station on every chanel were news. I watched all morning. Ill admit the confusion I had was amazing at first I thougth it had been a military plane gone rouge, then the confusion newscast. school that day was interesting to say the least. some people got to know that time ,and the common expresion was "WHA?"yeah, so many lifes lost. man what a weird and unreal day

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I was off work, ill with a headache and a fever. I switched on the TV, and the info box on BBC1 said "Diagnosis Murder" (that will always stick in my mind). I started watching just in time to see the 2nd plane hit.
    I looked over at my mobile phone, and found I had 18 messages. And every single one of them basically said "Oh shit".