Where were Maketoys & FansProject?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by OptionZero, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Exousia

Exousia Lost Lighter

News Credits:
    Well, yeah, but Hasbro's market has always been "20 times as big." That's not something new or different that's come up in the past year or two. So I don't think that's 'hurt' the 3rd Party market. The point about going cheaper for a character you don't care that much about is a good one, but again I'm not sure those people would be buying [expensive] 3rd Party figures of those characters to begin with. As for CW and TR's 'fun factor,' I will say that I find the transformation of the TR figures I have enjoyable, though perhaps a bit overly easy. It's really the stupidly limited articulation that kills me; I mean, the Deluxes have about the same amount of articulation as the Legends-size figures, and they cost around $25 (IIRC) at most brick-and-mortars around here.

I just don't think the recent lines have really "hurt" the 3rd Party market. If anything has, I would wager it's the growing number of companies and re-brandings. Also between Hasbro's seeming decision to stop bringing MP's to the US, Hasbro Asia's crazy-high prices, and TT's recent price hikes, I'm more likely to get and stick with 3rd Party "MP's" than before. Because Hasbro and TT are no longer much, if any, cheaper.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also no Beelzeboss, no SND, and some others.

• Like Like x 2
  3. lbock

lbock Well-Known Member

It really stinks that their last release were those Dinobot girls rather than Snarl.

• Like Like x 2
  4. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Retro Active TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks, caught that now in the slideshow summary. But nothing really new or interesting, then. Just their re-issues.

• Like Like x 1
  5. lbock

lbock Well-Known Member

I think the tale of Fansproject is the classic "stuck in the middle" case that is taught in economics. There is a large amount of people on the low end of the market that really just wants a new representation of a character for the lowest price. Hasbro pretty much took all those people out of Fansproject's market when they started making the same characters that Fansproject was making. There is also a market of people who care about paint, ankle rockers, etc. Those people are now being served by the other 3P companies making MPs. Anyone still collecting 3P CHUG is probably allocating their money towards Maketoys Cross Dimension or MMC Reformatted.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Exousia

Exousia Lost Lighter

News Credits:
    Pretty much. With their combiner stuff seemingly going entirely over to MakeToys, their dinobots going up against Planet X, and others IDW-ifying their CHUG lines to draw in fans of the comics, it really seems like FP lost their grip on the niche that they depended on. Kind of a shame, since my first 3rd Party figures were FP.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cabutler

cabutler Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, what's going on here? FT and MT have beef with one another?

8. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Guilty for sure, but the big sales on the FP Dinos in recent years means that I pulled the trigger and got them, and am now hoping for a darn Snarl! Maybe some other company will pick up the mold.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

Not just the combiners, FP let MT do everything that FP was known for better than them. Also, their quality control dropped significantly starting with the Dinobots.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

I think that the insane expansion of the 3P market, turning from a seller's to a buyer's market, might be responsible for a slight slowdown. Companies that survive are going extremely niche--MMC is CHUG IDW, Planet X is WFC, GCreation & GT are MP IDW, Spark Toys is War Within MP, Cross Dimension is super-poseable super-stylized CHUG, and there's that company I can't recall going with classic G1 characters as super-detailed Beast Wars.

If you were hardcore collecting back in 2011-2012, there were only a handful of 3P offerings. Remember how it seemed like everybody, regardless of whether they liked the Wreckers, bought the Warbot line? We all saw this coming when Hasbro scooped Citizen Stack & there were five concurrent Dinobot lines back in 2014. Companies are slowing down releases, reusing molds & creating niche lines to engender loyalty. I don't collect MP but it seems to me that the rise of specialty, comic-related MPs even shows that fewer lines are willing to try and "scoop" Hasbro on a particular G1 MP.

That said, I still want my gah dayum FP SNARL FFS

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Zula

Zula Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *sigh* I just want LER Snarl to finish off the FP Dinos. :( 

On another FP thread, didn't some post that they communicated some Fans Project staff, and got the impression that Fans Project was still alive, but working quietly?

That would be good news, if true, but theres the chance that fans would move on, and they would have no one who would want their product.

12. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I started with FP in the good ole days. Now there are too many 3ps out there and every bot is covered and MP'd. There's little left to make. I think their dinobot line killed them. They tried to make their own style and it backfired and the QC went way down compared to their standards.

13. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

As a long time and very vocal FP fan I'm sad to see a lack of anything coming from at TFCon but it's not surprising. It's unlikely we will see a sudden return to form from them and honestly, I expect a few sputtered releases then maybe a rebrand or something from them. I'm also just super damn keen for their Snarl. Sure I'd like the rest of Function X too but we need that Snarl! The Dinofems are hardly a great last breath from FP.

The problem is, until there is absolute word of their releases or even their demise people will still speculate and discuss but none of that will really reach the ears of the people who could actually make a difference with FP.

14. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Count me in for wanting snarl, surely if we can get enough people together to say they want it and get that back to FP they would do him as the last release

With maketoys taking the combiner designer and fanshobby taking another I think that's all the designers gone tbh. I wouldn't be surprised if cross dimension was done by another ex fansproject designer.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  15. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 All Around Nice Guy who doesnt like soccer

Ebay:
    too many multiples ofthesame character for MP, but I need more CHUG stuff!!!! more addons too! I loved City Commander and Protector. we need a trailer for CW Motormaster. we need CHUG Go-Bots!

• Like Like x 2
  16. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I guess it's overdue, anyway.
    I'm glad I didn't buy into their Dinobots, now. I'd be real PO'd right about...now.

17. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't they get married and form FansHobby? No FansHobby slides either? Ok, truly dead then.

18. Devastator21

Devastator21 Fanstoys zombie

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Fans hobbt was on display tho

19. Spence

Spence Well-Known Member

FP is not dead. They are currently on Hiatus as there is some restructure but they are not dead entirely as is speculating.

And all the speculation that is going on here has nothing to do with what is going on. It is not about market, it is not about designers, it is not about anything.

Lots of talking, lots of planning, just not a lot of doing at the moment.

FP will come back when they are ready. That is all. Nothing all secret scary or covert. When has FP ever done things by your schedule? They do things on their own schedule and that is not about to change now.

• Like Like x 12
  20. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover The Bob Bomber

News Credits:
    Thanks, @Spence, for providing some sanity.