Where was the Justice League during Doomsday?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Shipwreck, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I know that during Supermans fight against Doomsday there was that shitty Justice League with Booster Gold, and I'm sure they weren't there because they wanted to kill off Superman, but what I want to know is where was Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lanturn, Flash, etc.

Do you think the battle would have gone completely different if they all fault him together and why?

2. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    The only ones who would've made any difference, most likely, were Wonder Woman and maybe GL-Hal. Everybody else would've been either wounded or killed pretty quickly.

And, for the record, wasn't Guy Gardener in the JLA as a GL at the time? So, Green Lantern kind of was there.

In any case, it didn't matter. Doomsday existed solely to kill of Superman. Reread those particular issues again...the writing is atrocious, with Superman saying something along the lines of, "Well, looks like he's winding up for his final hit, I'd better do that too!" If Doomsday was to be MORE than just a villian to kill off Superman, that is, if Doomsday had TRULY killed Clark and still gone on, with a greater purpose, I doubt that Superman's train of thought would have been as calm and almost goofy as it was. I somehow predict that he would have been in a far graver mood.

3. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I've been wondering this myself recently. You'd think with a menace like Doomsday on the loose, all of DC's heavy hitters would be trying to stop it.

But no. There's no Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, or Hal Jordan to help out. I want to say Knightfall was going on around the same time, which would explain Batman's absence, but I'm probably wrong.

I enjoyed the story when I was younger, but now that I think about it, it reeks of plot devices.

4. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Ditto. I remember reading the trade paperback in Borders (or wherever) and skipping to the part where Superman dies and thinking..."Oh, my god. He's dead!!!"

Now, I go back and look through those same comics, and think, "Man, was this written for 9 year olds, or what?"

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have specific dates ('cause I'm not digging out the books), but Knightfall was after the Death of Superman.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    As I recall, wasn't there an issue in the buildup that had WW getting her butt kicked by DD?

Nah, my question is where was Captain Marvel? Forgotten, as he always is when he could make a significant difference in the narrative.

7. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Spring break perhaps?

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

At home. Washing their tights. DUH.

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He was there, but using the yellow ring. Martian Manhunter was there as well, but he was disguising himself as 'Bloodwynd' for some stupid reason.

And the writing for that story was definitely terrible. "Funeral for a Friend" and "Reign of the Supermen" were decent, so it seems like the writers knew where they wanted to go, but not how to get there (and get over the barrier of Superman dying somehow). Therefore...enter the plot device known as Doomsday! Crappy Justice League aside, Superman wasn't fighting Doomsday very intelligently and the internal monologue and dialogue between various characters was pathetic.

10. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Yeah, I remeber around the beginning of Knightfall seeing Batman and Robin wearing the black arm bands.

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Remember the JLA wasn't seen as a powerhouse like it is now. The JLA was a means of taking 2nd tier characters that people liked but wouldn't survive in their own books and put them together. Good marketing.

As for where everyone was, let me do some research and I can let you know.

12. Shipwreck

I'm going to write a Superman story where he thinks back on Doomsday and sees this huge conspiracy by the whole justice league in an attempt to murder him and he goes paranoid and all crazy like.

13. beatnik poe

beatnik poe Veteran

Dan Jurgens was a hokey writer. the current DC is very brilliant story telling. Comics have evolved into a new form of literature. If Those stories were re-written now they'd be much different, much darker.

hell, they should be represented. I think Geoff Johns is the savior of DC. I worship his tidying up of things done wrong in the DCU, he makes even second and third tier characters as integrally important to the fabric of the DCU as any of the major players.

14. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Wow. I remember loving this story. Now I'm afraid to re-read for fear of that love being shattered.

Still love "Reign" though. I re-read that all the time.

15. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Knightfall was better. That 4 different Supermen thing was crappy, especially Steel as the "walk-in spirit". And then the only ill effect that Superman suffered from dying and comming back to life, was awful metal hair!

16. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Well no, he did go through his whole "Blueperman" phase after returning from the dead.
    I think that was some sort of after effect.

Basically there was no reason for any of the "big" heroes to show up and help. It was Superman's fight. Where was wonder woman when Bane broke Batman's back?

17. Shipwreck

I wonder how fast it would take a team of Marvel heros to take him down.

18. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

That's a story I've been wanting to write for a long time.

19. brittap

brittap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is like asking when something huge happens in the Avengers why is it only the Avengers show up? They're in NewYork with like a hundred other super types, when a bad guy shows up it would be a mob of superheroes show up to lay the smackdown.

20. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IIRC, the usual explanation is that the other superhero groups are conveniently 'away' or 'busy'. For instance, during "Maximum Carnage", when five supervillain basically trashed all of New York, both the Fantastic Four and Avengers were just 'not around' for various stupid reasons.

Two better examples of perplexing ignorance of events from Marvel history:
    - During the ill-conceived "Planet of the Symbiotes" story in the Spider-Man annuals a few years back, the entire Earth was overrun with alien symbiotes. Yet, apparently, it was only important enough to be noticed in the Spiderman titles.
    - Similarly, when the Thunderbolts/Masters of Evil conquered over 2/3 of the world, it didn't warrant a mention in any other title. Unless Zemo only conquered the crappy parts of the world first, that seems like the kind of thing that would require a mention in some other comics.