Where to start with comic continuities...?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Simian, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    I have every issue of the orginal Marvel G-1 comic series...and several copies of key issues..Like the first and last issues etc...Since I have none of any of the others (DW, IDW, whatever else..) I need to start collecting the back issues....is there a rhyme or reason of which continuities to start with...?

2. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Good luck. Every comic has its own separate one. The current IDW book unites their beast wars to g1 but everything els is gray. You will notice small simularities w/ late us marvle, marvle uk, dw, and idw from time to time due to Simon Furmans influence. Hope that helps. TX

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Best star out with War with in, then move on to infiltration, then storm bringer, then escilation, the spotlights. Beast wars can be read at any time. All the ones mentioned are traded.

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Dreamwave and IDW are seperate continuities. The Dreamwave universe seems to be some bizarre fanverse in which events from the G1 cartoon and Marvel comic both happened (in spite of contradictions). The IDW universe is an entirely new version of G1

Dreamwave features War Within vols 1 and 2 (which detail events from the beginning of the war), G1 vols 1 and 2 (specific stories which take place in the Dreamwaveverse), and the G1 ongoing which prematurely ends at issue 10 due to Dreamwave shutting down. There was also a War Within 3, but due to the premature end, it's not even really worth getting. There's also a Micromasters miniseries which adds to the story, but it's not very good, and a Transformers/GI Joe crossover which may or may not take place outside the normal Dreamwaveverse

then for IDW, we've got Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation, Megatron Origin, and the Spotlights. Infiltration and Stormbringer take place at roughly the same time, Escalation is the sequel to Infiltration, and Megatron Origin is exactly what it sounds like, a prequel from when Megatron was very young. The spotlights (there are currently 8) are one-shots which take place between the other stories. Some of them take place the month they were released (like Nightbeat's) in relation to the ongoing series, while others (like Soundwave's) are prequels to the events of the ongoing. There's also an alternate universe story called Hearts of Steel

5. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    Sounds like Im starting WIth IDW....Thanks for the info.....:thumb 

6. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

For craps and giggles, don't completely neglect DW's The War Within books, nor their More Than Meets The Eye titles. It's good stuff.

And I have to think that you may enjoy the DW Armada / G1 crossover, "When Worlds Collide". You can either get the single issues (Armada 14-17) or the TPB (Trade Paper Back). It's a fun read.

7. Leo Primal-2

Leo Primal-2 Well-Known Member

Would you mind expanding upon. Are you saying that Beast Wars takes place in the same universe as Infiltration/Escalation/Devastation

8. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

No - IDW's Beast Wars is set in the same universe as the G1/BW cartoon.

9. BaronV

BaronV MonsterOfTheWeek.com

I actually really liked the WWI comics, great art though it does suck that the Vol. 3 never made it, anyone know what it was going to be about?

I'm probably going to get the IDW Stormbringer comic since it has a lot of WWI designs to it which I like for it's twist on G1 looks.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Well half of it was about Megatron returning with thousands of seeker clones and enslaving Cybertron. This aparently involved some sort of deal with the quintessons. Prime was gone at this pount and a group of autobots were fighting back resistance style. Judgeing by the clovers that wee leaked Prime was going to come back at the end of the series and save the day. Sadly it ended at issue 3 of a six issue mini.

11. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you only have the US Marvel Series, I'd get the UK TPB's and fill in the gaps.

Otherwise IDW's new G1 (Infiltration, Strombringer, Escalation, Spotlights, etc) is just about the best TF comic series ever created.

12. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked DW's stories. And unless you were really hardcore, I didn't think there were that many continuity glitches to US Marvel.

And to answer someone in the thread, IDW says that once DW is out of bankruptcy (some source I can't recall right now i think said late '08 or '09 likely), that IDW would see about completing the DW stories, or at least far enough to dovetail into their ongoing line (if applicable). They want to tie those ends up, but legally can't right now.

And aside from the obvious continuity glitch that occurs in IDW's -ation series (cuz it's set modern day, and the Witwickys don't appear), I am really digging IDW's take on the Universe. Enjoy!