Where to find toys in Europe...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cortexitron, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

So I have a co-worker going to Germany and Poland, and he's offered to bring me something back. Where are the best places to look, and what types of transformers are available right now?? I'd like to give him a picture of what to look for so it's a little easier on the poor guy when he gets to the store. I'd appreciate any help you folks can give.

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I clicked this thinking it was a joke thread.

Toys r us maybe...grocery stores...

You sure you don't want to know where to find beer? That's everywhere. Toys are spotty but Brand toys even more so. I think in frankfurt Germany you may have luck as the army base is there and they like to cater to Americans.

In Sweden, at least, it's nigh impossible to find transformers .

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    In Europe we get our toys from mines underground. We routinely send children into these mines to find their toys. In Europe we don't 'mature' out of toys we simply can't fit into those small underground tunnels anymore.

In America you have things good, actual 'toyshops'. I wonder what they're like?

4. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Summary:

1) Less toyshops overall.

2) Almost all of it will already be available in America.

3) Toys cost more here.

4) Vintage toy shops are a near myth.

5) Euro-exclusive G1 toys aren't easily found in the counties they were exclusive to.

6) If anyone told you RTS Frenzy, Bodyblock, Downshift were released in Europe, they
    were wrong.

5. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

Thanks for the responses guys. I sort of figured this is what I'd hear. I wasn't sure if things were as easy to find over there or not. I'm really not looking for anything specific, just something with the European packaging. The last time I got something from Europe, it was a generations Hound and Ravage, and it came on a multi-language card from France. I dont see those cards everyday, and i think they're kinda cool. My co-worker is actually from Poland so I'm sure he'll know where to go, I just wanted to be able to show him a picture of what to look for. I'll tell him to find whatever he can, and thank him for looking if he comes back empty handed.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Perhaps as well as toys you could get him to look for TF comics. I dunno about Germany and Poland but we have a UK-only TF comic here. Germany and Poland might have the same thing. At the very least it'll have a different written language all over it. Same probably with most other TF merchandise over in those places.

7. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty sure that the US, UK and JP are the only ones to produce their own stuff - other countries just do a translation or frenkenstein the US and UK version into 1 comic book continuity.

As for toys. They might be fairly cheap in Poland as Poland (and the other eastern european countries) have a very different economy than western europe and the US.

When it comes to Germany I would have to say that you can expect higher prices but to give you any helpful information we'd need to know where he was going, to help you out.

8. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nooouuuu, there are loads of places in sweden, just depends on where you live. I got some 50+ places that sels TF toys around where I live (Stockholm)...Granted, it's movie verse stuff - so it doesn't matter much to me, but it is available.

9. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Norsbotten near Skellefteå. About all see are bumblebee masks from rotf and rpms from rotf.

I was in stockholm and gothenberg visiting and ,in stockholm, I saw nothing in the toy stores that I saw (which was all of one...ugh) but I know I saw a toys r us on the ride from Arlanda to the city. My girlfriend's father was terrible at taking us around the city (they're originally from Stockholm). However I figured Stockholm would have some somewhere. Not even the Sci Fi Store had them :( 

There is a toys r us in Luleå I have yet to try but it's about 2 to 3 hours away but I don't have high hopes (I am from america and as for all around Sweden has nothing in comparison). There is a planned trip for Haparanda that I hope reveals something.

10. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Well if you go back to Stockholm some day BR leksaker has Transformers (the biggest BR is in the mall Gallerian near Sergels torg, there is also one at Ringvägen, there is one beneath Pub (also pretty close to Sergels torg) and there are more BR leksaker toystores scatterd about.
    Not much besides Movie stuff and PCC the last years though,
    I import almost everything I want since we don't get Classics and other stuff I want in Sweden. It is often cheaper too or at least about the same price because of the insanly high prices on Transformers in Sweden.
    Link with map of the BR leksaker stores in Scandinavia:
    hitta butik
    Besides that yeah, The toys r us in Stockholm carries Transformers.
    Near where I live Citygross, Ica Maxi and sometimes Coop Forum carries Transformers so might be worth checking in on those places in your area.

11. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I visited last year (2010 to be more precise) before moving here the ICA MAXI in Skellefteå had a lot of rotf figures. Mostly Iron Hides and Bumblebees but since they don't have one thing. What bugs me more then anything is every store that carries toys up here (bigger stores and toy stores) has My little ponies and hasbro board games that go on forever. More so then stores in the states in some cases (though twice the price). It's lopsided. Boys toys are relegated to off brand tractors, trucks and cars oh and Legos of course.

I'm not too worried with figure buying. I only get g1 and reissues and if a more modern figure comes that I like I can either have a friend pick one up for me in the states or grab it when I visit. Still it's a pretty nice feeling when you go into a store and you see a hard to get figure or a new MP up close.

12. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Have him get some of that very nice Polish Wodka. And from Germany. Have him bring some beer that was brewed with the 'Reinheitsgebot'. It's a dated law that beer can only be brewed with the clearest of waters. You can really taste it in the beer! And at least it gives you less of a hangover.

Toys? Not really. You might find some old stock. ROTF, DOTM maybe. But that's it. Plus toys cost up to twice as much in Europe compared to the US.

iDD