Customs: where to find 94% alcohol in Canada?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SMOG, Sep 2, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I've been hearing for a while now that 94% alcohol is the thing to take paint off toys. I've been using 70%, and though usually it gets the job done, there's still a lot of scrubbing involved... and then there are some paints it just won't touch.

So I went to my local pharmacy. They didn't sell it, though they used it behind the counter (no idea what for). They said they get their stuff from the liquor commission. I thought that was kind of odd, but it was only a block away.

At the liquor commission, the clerk directed me to some fancy food-grade 94% alcohol for mixing drinks... at $60 a bottle!!! Screw that!

So here's the question... where can I find industrial-purpose 94% alcohol for paint stripping in Canada? And for a reasonable price... I expected it to cost more than the $1 bottle of 70% I have, but not quite THAT much! :) 

Anyone got a hook-up for me? ;) 

zmog

2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I get my 99% Iso Alcohol at Prama Plus, it's with the rest of the first aid supplies.

3. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    I get 99% at Costco(drug store misc. aisle) 4 pack of 500ml for $7 & change I think.

*EDIT*

4 X 500ml @ $7.49

4. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

yeppers, six bucks or so at shoppers drug mart (pharmaprix for us quebequer types) in the first aid section...
    works pretty damn well, though sometimes ya gotta scrub a little (leave the pieces in for a day or so; it helps)

5. SMOG

ah.. 99%?

I was looking in a pharmacy the first time, and turned up nothing... and more, had the pharmacist send me off on the wild goose chase to the liquor commission. WTF? I'm fairly certain I don't LOOK like a rummy or a frat boy (though in the case of the latter, I guess it would be that time of year). :( 

Is it just me, or does it seem really weird that the pharmacy would be getting 94% alcohol from the liquor store at outrageous prices (I presume they would be using it for sterilization and "medical" purposes), rather than stocking 99% medical grade alcohol?

Meh. I guess I'm off to find a pharmacy with a good first aid section! And if I find it, I'm gonna go back to that pharmacist at the Jean Coutu and give her a piece of my mind.

Thanks guys!

zac

6. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

how come no one ever mentions denatured alcohol when this question is asked i think it is the same thing and can be bought at a hardware store by asking for it by name.

anyways if it is not the same thing it is what i use and it works the same way

7. SMOG

Denatured Alcohol? This is the first I've heard of it, but if my local pharmacies don't pan out, that will be my next plan. Thanks. :) 

zmog

8. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    easy off oven cleaner takes off everything

9. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

yeah i have used it with great success i have heard it mentioned maybe once in forums. so i did some research from wickpedia then bought some.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

anyways i am not sure how it does with window plastic or other soft plastic. i have used it in the same prescribed way as 90% ispro except i never submerged or soaked a part with it.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I've had the same sort of trouble trying to find high-concentration alcohol in the UK. I asked in Boots (major chain pharmacy if you didn't know), and the strongest they had was about 2%!

Thinners work to some extent, but you've got to be really careful to avoid damaging the plastic.

11. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

It sounds vrazy but I've used Castrol Super clean with great success. It doesn't harm the plastic but every bit of paint will be taken off.