Where to buy TF in China and Vietnam

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rid, Nov 6, 2007.

1. rid

rid Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I remember a thread from a few months ago discussing this but I can find it. So I'll risk asking it again...

I'm heading to asia and wanted to get some TFs. Where should I go to find some TF in China (Shanghai and Hong Kong) and Vietnam (Saigon/HCMC and Ha Noi)?

I don't care much about the small fish (like movie, classics, KO). I want the big kahunas: MP, BT, encore, etc.

Any chinese board members or China freqeunt flyers can help? Please be as specific as you can. I've never been there so I need good directions :D 

thanks.

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    In Shanghai there's a store that I go to whenever I go back there.

The address is:

No. 690 Changle Road
    ZIP: 200041

Dunno if the telephone number on the business card I have is still valid but it is: 021-54039298

Lots of G1 stuff, not MIB or MISB though. And lots of import Takara TFs depending on the time.

Sometimes they get large shipments of stuff in, sometimes not. When I went one year, they had a TON of BTs as well as many Takara Re-Issues.

Prices may vary depending on the figure.

I got an Anime Re-Issue Galvatron as well as the THS-Convoys for cheap there.

There is also a department store down the road from that shop that my wife said she saw some TF stuff there when she went back on a trip that I didn't go.

3. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    What type of prices are you looking at ? Collector prices? below MSRP prices?

compared to the USD..

I might have to visit if I go to China..

4. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I was looking for good deals in general.

But their pricing is a little strange.

For example, I got both THS Convoys for around $30 a piece and the Anime Galvatron Re-Issue for around $35.

But other stuff like the WST they had were priced rather high. Same with the TFC stuff they had.

The good thing is, like anywhere in China, you can haggle. Even more so when you're buying a lot of merchandise.

5. ranoobu

News Credits:
    You know what that means right? I don't care what anyone says!

I'm bringin' my MOM! .. hahahaha Asian mothers are scary when they haggle

Edit: And thanks for the info! that's very interesting.. i guess i'll have to make sure and remember some of the prices before there.. IF i ever trek there. Hope you have fun, Rid

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    A good practice to have:

1. Always research prices before you go. Check eBay and any online retail stores, make a list, and print it out so you can have it with you in the store for reference.
    2. Buy in bulk. Make haggling much easier.
    3. Look for stuff that normally you can't have easy access to online.
    4. Avoid prototypes. They usually have breaks.
    5. Ask them when new stock will be coming in.

7. ranoobu

News Credits:
    ::makes notes and bookmarks::

:dunce 

8. rid

rid Well-Known Member

I wasn't expecting to find a store selling G1. It'll give me a chance to get some G1 I've been longing for...

Thanks Razerwire.

9. Razerwire

News Credits:
    A lot of their G1 stuff is overpriced though.

Dusty too. And a lot of them worn.

10. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Yeah the auctions on Taobao are always way overpriced for G1 stuff. It doesn't surprise me that in-store Chinese G1 prices are the same way.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I bought a mogwai somewhere there, real cute little fella. Some asshole fed him some chicken at 3am and now it's trying to bite me

12. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

hong kong has a lot of toy stores in the kowloon and mk area....the places to find the best vintage stuff are not malls or department stores, you need to find the little run down shops that are as big as an american closet.

in asia the MP, BT, and encore stuff wont be significantly cheaper, you may save a couple of dollars but that real stuff is all bought from takara-distributors just like dealers in the US and canada. there is a new mp-01 bootleg, he comes in US style packaging with shortened smokestacks and chrome mouth guard and chrome chest....runs about $25-$50.

in beijing i just found out about a nice store in xi dan which is like the shibuya of china. all the hip young people hang out and shop there. they are producing US g1 style boxes with cardboard fold up inserts for a lot of headmasters, etc....

[​IMG]

im not sure about the quality, i was going to wait until i vacation in beijing to check it out in person but if you go there i'm dying to know about these repro-boxes.

here's the phone number:
    手机:13693583928

if you hop in a cab in beijing you can call them and have them tell the taxi driver how to get there.

and are you chinese, speak chinese? they give you better deals if you speak the language or even just look chinese....i went to china with my girlfriend and friend who is half chinese and american and he got charged way more than me because he looks more foreign even though his chinese is waaaaaayyyyy better than mine.

13. rid

rid Well-Known Member

Thanks to everybody. All of this will be helpful when I'm there.

14. jokerjester

jokerjester Active Member

Sorry for resurrecting this thread...

BTW, tried to google as much as I can but as you can see I did not have any luck which resorted to me bumping this thread up.

Started working here in Hanoi, Vietnam and I swear I could not see any shops selling TF merchandise! Any vietnam collectors here in TFW2005 who can help me?

I find this weird since I thought they moved TF production in this country :( 

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Buy straight from the factory!

16. jokerjester

jokerjester Active Member

If this is only possible! I don't want to think I'm the only TF collector here :( 

17. TheExtreme78

TheExtreme78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been working in Vung Tau for almost 2 months and haven't seen any Transformers here.
    Never had any chance to check at Ho Chi Minh yet either.