Where Should I Begin? Help Me Get Started on Transformers Comics

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, May 5, 2012.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Let me start by saying that back in my younger years (middle school and high school) I was HUGE into comic books.

Spiderman was my guy and I was at my local comic shop buying any and every title. Especially the books drawn by Todd McFarlane.

I've been seeing some comic updates on these boards which interest me and I think I want to start reading the Transformers books that are out there.

The thing is, I'm not really sure where to begin.

What titles both past and present would you recommend?

What books are out now that I should be checking out?

2. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Start with a few of the trade paperbacks.

I would start at Target: 2006 and go from there. You should try to read Primal Scream, Matrix Quest, All Fall Down and End of the road before Regeneration One hits.

After that you can go back and read the earlier stuff.

3. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Thanks!!

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    well of course i'd recommend getting in on the recent IDW stuff

*Last Stand of the Wreckers
    *Death of Optimus Prime
    and then get in on *Robots In Disguise and *More Than Meets The Eye [two ongoing series' both are about 4 issues in i think]

and stay on RID and MTMTE as they come out [cuz boy, both these books are rockin it!]

to supplement those i'd track down issues 22 and 23 of the Ongoing series from last year [both written by the guy who writes MTMTE. Lots of neat callbacks if youve read them]

thems would be my suggestions if you're wanting to get in on the more recent stuff ;) 

5. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

What he said! Although, I have only just started on MTMTE myself (have read the others). I totally agree that if you want to start recent, then those are the ones you need to get first :) 

6. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, forgot to mention that.
    If you're a comic fan, you'll love Last Stand of the Wreckers. It's an awesome story, as good as any TF comic i've read.

Also, you can track down the War Within TPB pretty cheap, so that's worth a read too, though it's continuity is questionable.

7. M3Gr1ml0ck

M3Gr1ml0ck Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From the past?

The Marvel run, especially considering that IDW is reprinting both the Marvel US stories (80 issues) and the Marvel UK ones.

Marvel US is the main saga, while Marvel UK are dozens of tasty "extra" chapters.

The best of Marvel US, IMHO, would be issues #1-12 (by Bob Budiansky and others) and issues #59-80 (by Simon Furman).
    The #59-80 run is also very useful if you want to follow the new Regeneration One book (starting in July).

For more Furman's stuff:
    - from the Dreamwave age, I really enojyed the War Within books (two of them are available; the third miniseries was interrupted in the middle).
    - from the IDW age, the books called Infiltration, Escalation, Stormbringer, Devastation, Revelation, Maximum Dinobots; plus the Spotlights books, volumes 1-3.

8. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    I got 5 words for you:

Last Stand of the Wreckers.

9. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Thanks for all of the recommendations!

What about Maximum Dinobots?

As you can see by my screen name, I am a fan of the Dinobots....and one in particular. :) 

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I was in the same boat as you a few months back. When I was trying to decide what to read I received a ton of recommendations, many are listed in this thread, but I ultimately decided to go back from the beginning and read the entire IDW run plus some original Marvel stuff. I was able to get every story pretty cheap through trades and what not. I don't regret it at all ... no wait, I regret Heart of Darkness ... but still, it was a blast reading everything and now I'm absolutely deep into the Transformers comics. That'd be my suggestion for you if you're up for it.

11. M3Gr1ml0ck

News Credits:
    Me too!
    It's a refreshing read, quite a rush, but it requires the -Ation and Spotlights to be fully enjoyed :) 

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, Maximum Dinobots is very "in the thick of it."

The Dinobots ere going to figure in the IDW relaunch soon though. If you start following MtMtE and RiD you should be happy soon.

13. M3Gr1ml0ck

News Credits:
    Some interesting Dinobot moments can be foun in the Marvel US comics I mentioned as well: the Dinos versus Megatron in the Budiansky run; Grimlock becoming a Pretender and then brining back his comrades as Action Masters (well, not exactly...b ut he gets to "resurrect" them), and then the whole "Grimlock the Autobot leader" thing.

Also, in the Marvel UK comics, there are at least two interesting Dinobot tales: "Dinobot Hunt" and "In the National Interest" (hmm, is this the right title?).
    And "The Icarus Theory" as well!