Where Maximals Come From

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Verno, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime: "A choice must be made, for only together, united as one race, can we truly survive... and prosper."

How did it go so wrong?

It seemed that peace was within our grasp. Some, however, we're all too keen to see that we never reached it.

Razorclaw. Talk of his death proved to be false. Like the beast he is, he just kept coming. He feasted on the growing disdain for our alliance emanating from the Decepticons. It was hoped a mutual enemy in the Cybertronian Empire would keep a lid on the derision. We were wrong.

While still flying the colours of the Decepticons, the Predacons began to see through their own agenda.

Targeting our off-world installations, these renegade Predacons began to stockpile Energon and resources. In the interests of continuing the alliance, Autobots weren't to fire upon these rebellious Decepticons unless fired upon first.

But this couldn't continue. We had to be proactive in response to this burgeoning enemy. If we couldn't fire upon them, we had to find someone that could.

The Maximals were born.

All off-world Autobot troops were rebranded, and we could now fight back, within the terms of the alliance.

The war was now being fought on two fronts. The Maximals countering the Predacons, and the Autobot-Decepticon alliance battling the Cybertronian Empire, who were continuing to launch attacks on Cybertron.

They were the greater enemy. Their true size - unknown. Their true ambitions - likewise. As little as we knew of them and the Liege Maximo, we knew they were coming. But it wasn't they whom destroyed the Earth.

Humans had long been our allies, and the Earth a base for our operations in that part of the galaxy. It was also home to labs built for the development of new technologies, namely the continued experiments with Micromaster technology.

Dwindling resources had long been an impetus for improved efficiency. Our, now Maximal, scientists delivered us an incredible advantage: Proto-Matter Technology.

New recruits brought online were outfitted with these new, smaller and vastly more efficient bodies.

It was at this point that the war changed, again.

Megatron requested that the technology be shared with the Decepticons, in the interests of defeating the Empire, who we were hearing, we're moving towards something big. I refused his request, and this gave Razorclaw the final bit of momentum he needed to act on a larger scale.

Megatron, who years earlier would have simply taken the technology by force, accepted my decision, much to the surprise to the majority of his troops.

In contrast, Razorclaw launched an all out attack on Earth; one we never saw coming.

They destroyed the Earth, and in doing so, announced their separation from the Deceptiocons. The Predacons had truly arrived.

Losses - Catastrophic. 7 billion dead in one day, and any human survivors scattered amongst the stars.

Decepticons left in droves for the greener pastures that was the Predacons. Megatron was impressed by the ferocious act, but outraged by the betrayal.

As terrible as this all was, it was about to get much worse.

The Hub, home of the Liege Maximo, had been found. We now knew the what and the where of their forces, but the greatest surprise was the terrifying why.

With a contingent left behind to protect Cybertron from the new Predacon menace, an army was amused. Made up of Autobots, Maximals and those Decepticons still loyal to Megatron, he and I led the assault to destroy The Hub and deny the Liege what he saw as his destiny.

The day was won. The casualties great. None greater than that of Megatron himself.

Magnus has since described Megatron's final stand to me as Magnificent. Coming from Magnus, that's saying something. I wish I could have seen it.

I'd taken heavy damage and was drifting in stasis amongst the debris of battle. I was offline for many cycles. When I awoke, the Decepticons were no more.

With the heavy losses from both the assault on The Hub and desertion to the Predacons, the Decepticons were a mere shadow of their former glory. Shockwave, to whom the leadership had fallen, had little choice than to declare the Decepticons defunct. It was only logical after all.

So here we stand. The war has changed again, as has the enemy. That sense of peace that had been so strong has faded - but isn't gone. This war will soon be at an end.

---

What you've, hopefully, just read is the beginnings of my attempt to fill the gap between the end of the G2 Comics and Beast Wars. I've attempted to work within canon for the most part, of what we know of this time period and details from G2 and BW and after.

I'd love people's comments.

Enjoy.

2. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    nice spotlight for Optimus ! One question, was Megatron going to steal the tech anyway while accepting Optimus' decision ?

and what's this about Razorclaw being KIA before ?

3. Verno

News Credits:
    The aim is to pick up the story from the end of Optimus' little catch up monologue, and follow the events on Cybertron that lead to the signing of the Pax Cybertronia and the peace. It's never been said how the Preds and Maximals became the factions on Cybertron and how the Great Upgrade to protoforms bodies came about, so that's what I'll be doing with this story arc. Stay tuned for more!

Razorclaw had his head chopped off by Leadfoot in one of the last issues of the Marvel G2 comics. He went to attack Manta Ray for not following his orders, but Leadfoot stepped in and decapitated him. Razorclaw survived.

4. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

This looks interesting, I hope there's more :3

5. Verno

News Credits:
    There certainly will be more. From here on in it will be Spotlight type stories following characters like Ravage, and a character of my own invention called Csirac, a Maximal scientist.

Stay tuned.

6. SavageThunder

SavageThunder 11th Doctor's Huntress

I LOVE IT! U got a GREAT beginning for your story line dude!

7. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

Awesome! Can't wait :D 

8. Verno

News Credits:
    Cheers Savage. It's Sunday here in Australia so hopefully I'll have some more for you by the end of the weekend.

9. Verno

News Credits:
    “The Decepticons are no more”, said Magnus, studying the two Decepticon figures before him in the chamber. “But this war is far from over. The Predacons have thrown the rulebook out the window, so we’ve had to do the same.”

Rodimus spoke up. “As you’re both aware, some of your buddies are stupid enough to want to keep fighting and are now flying the Predacon banner. But when the Autobots win, and trust me, we will, ‘Cons like you will still have to answer for everything you’ve done during the course of the War. Bots like Megatron and Soundwave have got the easy way out.”

“I don’t like the idea of cutting deals with the enemy, but it’s come to our attention that Megatron had you both running sight-seeing trips behind Pred lines before the Hub assault” continued Magnus. "If word of that reached Razorclaw, he’d be quite interested in finding both of you - so here’s the deal: You keep making those trips, but you’ll be reporting back to us instead. And when it’s all over, your assistance in ending the War will be shown on your records, might even get you off some of the heavier charges."

Magnus let the proposal get worked through by their Decepticon processors.

"This is your chance to make amends. What do you say?”

The two Decepticons looked at each other, then nodded to their new Autobot allies.

10. Verno

News Credits:
    The two Decepticons stood in the light in the centre of an enormous room, surrounded by a large number of Predacons in the darknes, as a large, familiar form entered. “Laserbeak, Ravage, old friends. Welcome to the Predacons!”, announced Razorclaw, with little warmth in his raspy voice.

“I was saddened to hear about Soundwave. A great warrior, his talents wasted under the previous leadership”, he said, twisting the knife in the back of his dead former leader, to the laughter of the Predacon troops in the darkness surrounding them.

“Our forces, however, grow stronger by the day”, he continued, motioning to the hall full of Predacon combatants, who were studying the two ancient warriors. “And are buoyed by recruits such as yourselves.” There were sniggers from the Predacons. Ravage and Laserbeak felt uneasy in the spotlight.

“But there is little time for reminiscing about the good old days, we must get down to business.” Razorclaw, produced a large blaster, and from point-blank range, blew a hole through the chest of Laserbeak, who crumbled lifeless to the floor. Raucous cheering exploded from the audience of Predacons. Ravage prepared himself for the end.

“I won’t suffer fools!”, boomed Razorclaw. “I learnt that from Megatron, though he changed his tune towards the end - desperation will do that to you”, continuing his rant against his old master. He stepped closer to Ravage.

“There have been whispers, Ravage, voices in my ear asking why you’ve come. A more loyal Decepticon could never have be found, Megatron’s favourite pet, yet here you stand, ready to serve a turncoat.” The room was silent.

“You have talents I can utilise, Ravage, but let Laserbeak’s smouldering wreck be a lesson to you - if your resolve wavers even for a moment, you’ll end up on the slag heap next to your comrade. Have I made myself clear?” Razorclaw was now face to face with Ravage. Ravage held his gaze.

“As I said before”, Razorclaw said as he turned and exited into the darkness, “Welcome to the Predacons.”

11. Verno

News Credits:
    “The famous Ravage…” said a voice. Ravage turned to see a large red Bot approaching. “Or should that be infamous. Stories of your endeavours are legend. My name is Magmatron, one of Razorclaw's Generals..."

“One of, but certainly not the only”, a cold voice said. Ravage and Magmatron were joined by an imposing figure. “I am General Seethe, I’m sure you’ve heard tell me". Ravage certainly had.

“His reputation for tactics precedes him, that for his courage is yet to be found”, said Magmatron, making no attempt to hide the bite of the cutting remark.

“Your addition to the ranks will only boost the fearsome prestige the Predacons enjoy” Seethe added, apparently unaffected by Magmatron’s jibe.

“Hmph”, said Magmatron with derision. “It’ll soon be clear to our honoured recruit who’s earned their ‘prestige’, and who stole it after the efforts of others.” The distrust between the Generals, Ravage thought, was clearer than anything at present. He was sure the Autobots would be interested in this.

“If you wish to discuss leadership styles, then I would be glad to oblige you, at another time”, said Seethe, dismissingly. “Now, however, I have more pressing matters to cover with our new compatriot, and I believe you have your own orders to follow", Seethe said knowingly. Ravage wondered what those orders might entail.

Magmatron knew the conversation was over, and turned back to Ravage. “It'll be an honour to serve beside you.” Magmatron turned and walked away without so much as a look towards his fellow General.

Seethe watched him leave, before ushering Ravage to accompany Him. “Come, Ravage, we have much to discuss.”

12. Verno

News Credits:
    “Have you read Ravage’s report?” asked Rodimus, throwing the tablet containing the report over the desk.

“He’s good, very detailed”, replied Bumblebee.

“Oh yeah, infighting amongst the Generals - who would have thought”, replied Rodimus, mocking the reports contents.

“Joke all you like, but if the report is accurate, and the leadership is that fragile, it lends itself to implosion”, said Magnus, returning to the room. “Razorclaw has shown himself to rule with an iron fist.”

“Yeah”, Bumblebee chimed in, “I mean, Laserbeak wasn’t just some Protoform off the shelf, he was an experienced warrior, and he killed him, just like that.”

“If Razorclaw could be removed…” began Magnus.

“Because killing him has been so easy to do before now”, said Rodimus, cutting him off.

“We didn’t have a man on the inside before now”, said Magnus, his mind somewhere else.

“Ravage?” questioned Rodimus.

“If he can get close enough...” said Magnus, only to be cut off by Rodimus, again.

“He’d be scrap before getting out of their compound.”

“Then we offer him extra incentive, and what protection we can”, said Magnus, now with anger in his voice.

“Protection? For a Decepticon?” asked Rodimus, not backing down from his objection.

“We’ve got to offer him something”, said Bumblebee, trying to ease the situation.

“A job that big carries an equally big price tag”, said Magnus, who didn’t like the idea of making a deal with Ravage in the first place, but knew there was nothing else to be done.

“How big?” said Rodimus.

“Amnesty”, said a commanding voice in the doorway. There, back on his own two feet for the first time in far too long, stood…

“Optimus”, Bumblebee said, delighted to see his leader back in the land of the living. All communication with Prime for the recent past had been done through his core consciousness. But there was something in his voice that gave confidence. Rodimus was also glad to see him, but continued his opposition to the idea.

“You can’t be serious, Prime.”

“If Ravage can stop Razorclaw, then we owe him his freedom.”

“You’re putting all your hopes of victory in a Decepticon?” queried Rodimus. “There’s got to be something else. What about the ship?”

Prime shook his head. “The scientists are still gun-shy after their last test, and progress has been slow since the Predacon raid." Rodimus slumped back in his chair - their options were slim.

"In the Spark of an enemy there will be salvation..." said Optimus, quoting the Covenant. "For now, we hope that Spark belongs to Ravage."

13. Verno

News Credits:
    General Seethe had had several meetings with Ravage to help bring him up to date on Predacon activities, as well as to introduce him to Razorclaw other Generals: Cinder, who oversaw the Predacon Airforce, and Rampant, who led the majority of the ground fighting forces. All three Generals were present at the current meeting.

"You may be wondering why Magmatron is not present at a meeting such as this", began Cinder. "We hold no stead in his opinion or command."

"His position has come through nothing but chance and stupidity - pay him no heed”, spat Rampant, clearly a Predacon of few words, all of them spiteful.

"But enough of that for now. Down to business", said Seethe. "Part of my command is intelligence gathering; intercepting Autobot and Maximal communications, something I've had great success with. Your addition to the fold will improve our abilities in this area to no end”, said Seethe, from the other side of the desk.

“Given the amount of information Seethe intercept, both foreign and friendly, together with Rampant and myself, we have become an unofficial force for policing our own troops, weeding out disloyalty”, said Cinder. Ravage suddenly felt on edge, and realized how trapped he was in Seethe's command room.

“We’re under no illusions as to why you’re here”, said Rampant, coldly. Ravage was ready to fight his way out if need be, but didn’t give anything away. “With Soundwave and Megatron dead, you suddenly find yourself without a strong leader to stand behind.” More talking isn’t what Ravage was expecting from Rampant.

“You’re not a coward; you simply have no aspirations higher than post. You’re a soldier, you live to serve your faction.” Seethe’s words weren’t calming his circuits just yet. “We are no different”, he continued. “Our aim is to strengthen the Predacon Army in every capacity we can.”

“We want you to kill Magmatron.”

Silence greeted Rampant’s words. “He is reckless, brash, naïve and foolish, and breeds such poor qualities in the troops he commands”, spat Rampant. Ravage couldn’t believe what he was hearing. These Predacons would put Starscream to shame.

“For the Predacon leadership to stay strong, we can’t put our hopes in stray blaster fire to see out our wishes”, said Cinder, rejoining the discussion. “For the good of the Predacon cause, it must be a precise strike, one that finds its mark with full lethality.”

“In order for the future to remain bright, Magmatron must be removed”, pressed Seethe. “Your skills for this task are second to none, and you’ve witnessed firsthand what an unstable leadership can do to a side.”

“We’ll give you time to consider your answer, but we know you’ll make the right decision”, added Cinder, “for the good of the Predacon cause.”

14. Verno

News Credits:
    Csirac came back online and his sensors screamed. He groaned as he tried to move.

"Ah excellent, you're awake", said a wraspy voice.

Csirac tried to focus his optics but everything was still a blur. Details started to whir back into his processors.

"Peh.. Prehh..." he slurred.

"Give it a moment. You're vocal subroutines are still coming back online", said the voice, whose form was becoming clearer, then suddenly came into sharp focus. Spindly, creepy, most definitely...

"... Predacon..." Csirac finally managed to get out.

"Of sorts", replied the slender, purple Predacon, before giving a metal-chilling cackle. "I am Taranachus."

"The lab... How did you know..." said Csirac, pulling himself up, as the details of the raid came back to him.

"Oh, we know a lot of things", replied Taranachus, "but that should be of no concern to you now. What you should be asking is..?" he posed, playfully. Csirac knew where Taranachus was going with this. "What do you want with me", he said. Taranachus cackled, gleefully. "Yes! A much more interesting question! One with an easy answer, really..."

Csirac was now sitting upright and again knew exactly where Taranachus was leading him. "A TransWarp cell." Taranachus cackled once again. "Yes." Taranachus turned from Csirac and returned to a control panel.

"And supposing I refuse?" Csirac asked futilely.

Taranachus gave a blunt answer. "Then I'll extinguish your Spark and extract the information I require from your data-tracks."

"We have a problem then", said Csirac. "Unless you hadn't noticed, we haven't got one to work yet."

"Yes, we watched the last launch with great interest. The finale was spectacular!" Taranachus' comment cut Csirac in what was an already open wound. "I didn't say we needed the cell to work though, did I?" he asked with a small laugh. "The explosive potential of such a device was reason enough to bring you in."

Only now did Csirac begin to worry. The Predacons had proven themselves more than proficient in the use of explosives before now. What could they possibly want to destroy with such an explosion?

Taranachus moved from the panel towards to doorway. "You have two options, the latter of which is death. I think we both know which you'll choose." The door closed solidly behind him as he left, leaving Csirac alone with his thoughts, in something of a makeshift lab.

15. Verno

News Credits:
    The rest of their conversation was cut short by the sound of the chamber's door unlocking. Two heavy-set goons entered, the same ones that had dumped Silverbolt in earlier. They said nothing as they stood either side of the doorway. Csirac wasn't sure if he and Silverbolt were meant to exit, but he soon had his answer, as the enormous figure of Razorclaw filled the doorway.

Csirac had only ever heard stories of the Predacon leader, but now standing before him, they seemed more like nightmares.

Silverbolt tried to stand but was still recovering from his violent capture. "Don't do it on my account", Razorclaw said to Silverbolt. "You've earnt a rest". Silverbolt's hatred towards Razorclaw was clear, but he said nothing.

"We are in the presence of our own future, Silverbolt", Razorclaw continued, but now staring squarely at Csirac. "We're no longer the pinnacle of technological wizardry. Never could we have imagined that our fate would look quite like this", Razorclaw finished, clearly in reference to Csirac's Maximal protomatter body.

"I take it you're not a fan?" asked Csirac, attempting to sound as in control as possible, but failing.

"On the contrary", came the reply. "Why else would I have tapped the rich supply of protomatter on Earth?"

"Tapped?!" Silverbolt yelled. "You blew the planet up! Killed billions of humans in the process!"

"It was a brutal planet. Always had been and was until its end", Razorclaw said simply. "And the humans? Nothing more than savages. I watched them scramble over each other, trying to get aboard evacuation ships, hoping to escape - only to be shot down by our fighters waiting in orbit".

Csirac was shocked by the casual tone of Razorclaw's words.

"Our intelligence says that you were stationed there", Razorclaw continued to Csirac. "Given your talents, and appearence, it's easy to summise that you had a hand in the creation of the protomatter technology".

"Right so far", said Csirac, uneasy under the extreme focus. "What else does it say?"

"You're a... Pacifist?" Sniggers came from the bulky Predacons at the door. Csirac was surprised they knew what it meant. "Excuse my mentioning it but we have a different name for bots like you: Target Practice". The sniggering at the door continued.

"Is that what I'm here for?" Csirac asked, gaining confidence as he became more incensed.

"No. I have a greater task for you". Csirac now knew what prey felt like. Razorclaw's stare was hypnotizing.

"And what about me?" said Silverbolt. Csirac had almost forgotten he was in the room.

"You're here just so I can see the look of terror on your face". Razorclaw gave no clarification as to what that meant as he turned to face his troops at the door. "Bring them", he said, then exited the chamber. Csirac went without a fuss. Silverbolt, however, was scuffed and paraded through the corridors of Predacon onlookers, all glaring at the captured enemy. Whatever and wherever this facility was, it was big.

"Tell me", said Razorclaw, whom Csirac found himself walking next to, "Did you ever attempt to construct a protomatter combiner?"

Answering would usually have been considered an act of treason, but given Csirac's current situation, he felt he had little choice but to answer. "No", Csirac said truthfully. "The priority was production once we'd perfected the technology".

"Pity. It will make your task all the more difficult". Csirac made to enquire about just what this task was, but Razorclaw continued. "I thought of entrusting it to one of our engineers, but to have it built by someone who knows the full capabilities of the technology, then all the better for us".

"Have what built?" asked Silverbolt before Csirac had the chance to, who was still fending off evil looks as they continued through the seeming labarynth of corridors.

"We are brothers, Silverbolt", he replied, puzzling him. "Brothers in loss. You took away mine, I took away yours".

Word of the defeat of the four other original Predacons had reached even those working in the TransWarp lab. It was met with great cheer. The death of the other Aerialbots however, that was news to Csirac - terrible news. He turned and looked at Silverbolt, who had a look of pain and anger on his face.

"I wish I was there to see them burn! A big Predacon roast!" spat Silverbolt, who earnt a solid punch to the torso for his efforts, but his head came back up with a smile on it. "We celebrated that night! Four Preds down, one to go!"

"And yet here I am, alive and well - and also the bearer of bad news", Razorclaw said as he turned to face the Autobot. They had arrived at a heavy set of doors, guarded by two enormous Predacons, so big they put the two Predacons scuffing Silverbolt to shame. Whatever was behind this door was incredibly important.

"Perhaps instead of celebrating you should have been more thorough in your work", said Razorclaw, coldly.

"What do you mean?" asked Silverbolt, who'd momentarily stopped wrestling in the grip of his handlers.

Razorclaw smiled. Csirac really wished he hadn't. "Open it", he commanded to the enormous guards.

The doors swung back to reveal a vast chasm of what seemed endless blackness. But as they entered and Csirac's optics attuned to the light, there began to emerge a blue hue to the light. They approached two vast cylinders from which the blue light was emanating. Their contents couldn't yet be made out clearly.

"While Rampage and Tantrum are lost to me..." said Razorclaw, as Csirac approached the cylinders, whose contents were now clear to everyone.

"No... NOOOO!!!" screamed Silverbolt.

"The Sparks of Divebomb and Headstrong pulse on!" boomed Razorclaw.

There, suspended in the blue liquid, we're the damaged forms of Razorclaw's two surviving Predacon brothers, hooked up to all manner of tubing and life support equipment.

"You want a new body", said Csirac, stunned by the sight.

"I want to fight beside my brothers again! I want... PREDAKING!" roared Razorclaw.