Where is the news?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Apr 20, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been flipping channels a lot trying to find straight news, but it is almost nonexistent.
    Instead, it is "coverage and analysis", which i don't really want.
    I miss the Inverted Pyramid process. Big facts down to small facts as time or space permits, and nothing else.
    fact, fact, fact, quotes, quotes, fact, end of story.

why the shift from the Murrow and Cronkite stuff to panels and contributors and experts and the need for 3 different shows from 7-10 each night with the same topic and experts?

I thought that "Face the Nation". "Meet the Press" or even Bill Moyers on PBS was for analysis.

Rumor has it that newsprint is dying, yet TV news seems to be dying out even faster in favor of Commentary shows.
    This isn't about politics or Liberal vs. Conservative media.
    all the news organizations seem to be doing this, regardless of stance.

just curious as to why.

2. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

hmm I've not noticed this to much.. on pbs I mean but then again I don't watch tv news much..

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Hard facts are for reading on the internet or, heaven forbid actual newspapers, while speculation and commentary are what the cable stations are for.

Though, I feel this violates the no politics rule. If not, a very thin line.

4. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, at least it gives The Daily Show and/or Colbert Report more entertaining material I guess.

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Simple answer, ratings.

Inverted pyramid tends not to give context to ongoing stories, and has been proven to only work well with "police beat" style reports. Viewers prefer an enriched experience when getting their news, and relate to the information given to them more easily when proffered by someone they can relate to, thus the personality based news-magazine shows. Local evening news is a little better at what you seem to looking for, but again, they generally ignore inter/national news and don't offer much depth to the story aside from opening pull.

Also, you're only now noticing this? This has been a trend on cable tv for at least nearly a decade, and certainly on the web for as long now too.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Blame the 24-hour news cycle for part of that. Using the inverted pyramid process alone wouldn't take up very much time, even if they covered virtually everything that seemed even remotely like news. That would leave the cable news networks with either a lot of time to kill, or they'd end up just running the exact same 2 - 3 hour chunk of stories over and over and over with minor modifications as new details arise. Really, unless something big happens (elections, disaster, etc), not much significant changes in the news from day to day, especially at the national and international level. That's why, when something significant actually does happen, the Big Three (CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC) tend to latch on and run it into the ground.

Plus, there's ratings and the entertainment side of things. Far too many people in the US get bored easily by "fact, fact, fact, quote, quote, fact". It's not entertaining, it's not exciting, it's not Extreme Sexy Action News!!!!11!!!!1!1!. It also involves independent thought to put those facts in the context of other events and history, rather than having a telegenic empty suit provide a context in which those facts should be interpreted. If people get bored, they aren't going to watch a channel (or read a paper) and ratings sink, so the commentary is needed to keep everyone entertained...like jingling shiny keys in front of a baby.

7. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    That's a little more sarcastic than true, c'mon. We all know it also requires an inordinate amount of free time to follow news on a regular basis, to keep it in check and in context by yourself. Even harder now that the world is informationally smaller, and things more connected etc.

Who has the time to keep up AND do all their day to day stuff too?

8. steph1979

steph1979 Banned

Ideally I'd want my news delivered by a gimp suit wearing dwarf riding a sombrero wearing donkey. How's that for context?

9. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Next in the news, a man kills his hamster with a waffle iron in Norfolk, CT. Now we ask you, is this just a random act of insanity, or is this the moral decay of a nation? With us now via satellite is John Corky, chairman of the Hamster Citizen Rights Brigade. Also with us in the studio is some guy with a PhD and once-famous actress Janeane Garofalo. John, what's the big fuss?

Isn't this more fun???

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not that hard; I manage to do it pretty easily without expending an inordinate amount of free time (suggesting it's not something "we all know"). I stay very well informed just by listening to the top-of-the-hour news on the radio a couple of times a day and reading the major stories of the day on the 'net while I eat supper (about 45 minutes a night), with maybe a little extra reading if something catches my attention.

Like I say, there's really not much change in the important stories from one day to another. A few little details get added, maybe one or two extra quotes of some use pop up, but the overall story stays largely the same. If one follows the news regularly, at some level, you already have the previous context of the stories and just have to incorporate the little bit of new data (barring, of course, something unexpected and major). It takes even less time if you screen out and ignore all the fluff ("human interest" pieces, celebrity/entertainment "news", editorials, commentary, etc) and focus solely on the important items and facts (local/national/international politics, financial news, etc); hell, the last time I watched a cable news show, there was maybe ten minutes of actual important news at the top of the hour and the rest was fluff. This is especially if you're using the internet and can choose which stories you read, rather than just going with what the TV/radio/newspaper has decided is important. TBH, that's probably one of the reasons people find keeping up with the news intimidating, because there's so much crap to sift through and it takes a bit of practice to get used to quickly filtering out all the garbage to get to the good stuff.

And paying attention to the important news is something that people should make time for, given how much the important events can effect one's life. But people seem to be more interested in spending their time being entertained than putting a little bit of effort into knowing what's going on in the world. Sure, I'm probably being a bit more sarcastic than necessary, just a little frustrated after repeatedly dealing with people being absolutely blind-sided when I bring up an important news story that's been all over the 'net/papers/TV/radio...but who can rattle off details about the life of whatever celebrity is popular nowadays, every movie released in the last 15 years or obscure statistics about the local sporting franchise.

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^^^ This scares me.

I am not talking politics.
    i am talking format of a television station. News outlets (print, broadcast or online) have political stances- like local papers posting who they support for offices- but i am not questioning that.

What i am talking about is more akin to discussing why "Happy Days" changed from film and a single camera to a three camera videotape setup in front of an audience.

HLN, or previously, HN, used to do straight news reporting 24/7.
    although they looped the same stories/exact same broadcast repeatedly.
    3 hours of the same news story didn't bother me that much.

But i suppose the trend in network news is entertainment via controversy or pundits.

it is kinda like picking up my local paper and instead of 14 pages of news and the 2 page Op-Ed spread, i get 14 pages of Op-Ed analysis and 2 pages of Headline "blurbs."
    Or the local paper changing from a community paper to a tabloid format.

actually, i sometimes get more information each day from the news tickers at the bottom of the screen than anything.

Broadcast/Network news may be taking hints from ESPN.
    although they may have taken the ball and ran a bit further down the sidelines with it.

One other question in regards to journalism:
    you think that the days of the Mike Wallace & "60 Minutes" ambush interviews are over?
    There's the paparazzi stalking celebs, that isn't an ambush interview.
    personally, i think those days are numbered, considering the pundit commentary format change.
    far easier to just take sound/video bites from events or have gofers research transcripts for talking points.

as for not noticing these changes, i kinda ignored the news for several years and was given reason to start watching a couple years back.

12. smkspy

Don't know why it scares you. You're making observations that have been in effect for years now, and acting like this is suddenly some new thing. Honestly, after reading your last post I'm even more confused as to what you're trying to get at with all of this. What, you're asking about why the format and approaches to journalism as whole have changed? Simple answer is money and viewers. I almost feel like saying, "Wake up Rip Van Winkle."

And I stick by what I originally said. The News is inherently tied to politics. It's a very thin line we're walking in this discussion. It was just an observation.

13. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    I think your frustrations about celebunews trumps your willingness to accept most people probably really don't have an hour a day to stay abreast of everything. Sure, in theory I agree with you and it is fully frustrating that people don't take advantage of being informed when they should. But I also understand the other side, because I don't have a wife and kids and mortgage and crappy job that takes up 9-10 hours of my and blah blah blah. Coming home at night and then spending it getting depressed by reading the news, I can understand why people would rather soak it in via newsmagazine style shows, or Daily Show/Colbert stuff too. Or flipping through a People or US Weekly at the checkout aisle in the grocery store, because it's there, since they don't tend to stock anything more informative there.

Wait, what was my point again? :drunk 

Agree 100% with this...

Not so much with this. It's inherently tied into politics as it is to missing children, disasters and accidents, abused animals, weird new foods that have been fried that have no business being etc. It'd be easy to step into politics to cite them as an example of WHY the inverted pyramid news style doesn't work, but even so you don't need to get into an actual political discussion by saying so.

14. smkspy

Completely agree, but you know how we always take things to their logical extreme here. Frankly, I just don't see a need for Jorod's question to begin with...it is, in a way, asking how come all television programs are made in color instead b&w now.

15. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    TFW'ers ruining it for everyone else? YUR A LIAR I SAY!!

;) 

16. steph1979

steph1979 Banned

Man smkspy dude, you really know how to curb pseudo intellectuals enthusiasm/ambition. I bet you go around telling kids Santa isn't real, jerk.