Where I stand with the series

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AutobotMarine, Aug 26, 2008.

1. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Ok, I've decided to give my full opinion regarding every TF series, from G1 to Animated. I will only list the shows that have aired in the U.S. since I still need time to properly rate the Japanese series. Although I did see quite a lot of Galaxy Force. All of the series are also rated by graphics, animation, writing/dialog, etc.

Generation 1:

Graphics: 7.9/10
    Animation: 7.8/10
    Writing/Dialog: 8.4/10
    Characters: 9.2/10
    Plot/Storyline: 8.6/10
    Overall Score: 8.7/10

Where it began essentially, it's old school. I've always enjoyed watching the first two seasons, despite the cheesy-ness.... it's still till this day very fun to watch. The main problems is mainly consistent animation errors that do plague the show, and certain episodes like "Carnage in C-Minor" which ruined some of the experience. But overall, this is a classic series that will always have a special place in my heart. Killing off the original cast of this series however was a mistake, thankfully they brought back Prime. It's indeed one of the most legendary cartoons ever to be made, and indeed brought in one of the coolest and most ingenious concepts ever to the world.

Beast Wars

Graphics: 9.3/10
    Animation: 9.8/10
    Writing/Dialog: 10/10
    Characters: 10/10
    Plot/Storyline:10/10
    Overall Score: 10/10

Hands down the very best Transformers TV series currently. The entire story very thoroughly planned out, the characterization and the plots in every episode made this series an abseloute fun experience and a unpredictable experience, what more can I say? It's the perfect show.

Beast Machines

Graphics: 8.1/10
    Animation: 9.6/10
    Writing/Dialog: 7.9/10
    Characters: 6.5/10
    Plot/Storyline: 6.2/10
    Overall Score: 5.6/10

Unlike Beast Wars with a plot that was more understandable, and much enjoyable to watch.... with every character being unique in every way, being either hero or villian which is what mainly made the prequel highly entertaining, Beast Machines becomes boggled down with too much philosophical nonsense. With nearly every character who returns acting almost completely different from what they behaved in the previous series, Primal being a religious, Cheetor being a complete prick, Rattrap becoming a pussy, Megatron becoming utterly cold-hearted and ruthless (not to say I have a problem with this) etc. Also including a nearly nearly-insane and stupid plot, stupid designs, and a very very VERY stupid ending. This show gave me the WTF factor, mainly aiming towards the idea of a techno-organic Cybertron.

Robots in Disguise

Graphics: 8.5/10
    Animation: 8.4/10
    Writing/Dialog: 7.9/10
    Characters: 7.3/10
    Plot/Storyline: 7.8/10
    Overall Score: 7.5/10

RID is what did revive the franchise after the abseloute mess at the end of Beast Machines, Hasbro decided to go to Takara to dub TF anime TV shows into the U.S. and RID happens to be just one of them. Robots in Disguise, while it does have potential.... has aspects to the storyline which are forgettable, the only two things I can remember about this show is the arising of Scourge and the last battle between Omega Prime and Galvatron. Most of the characters don't really seem to be very serious, especially the Predacons... many of them just there for the comic-relief, which this show mainly is comedic in general. The only two characters I take seriously is Prime and Scourge, especially Scourge... who dosen't agree with me? Robots in Disguise is essentially a filler for the upcoming Unicron Trilogy. Though it did have its great moments.

Armada

Graphics: 7.8/10
    Animation: 7.2/10
    Writing/Dialog: 6.7/10
    Characters: 7.4/10
    Plot/Storyline: 7.3/10
    Overall Score: 7.8/10

Armada was the start of the Unicron Trilogy as we should all know. This show suffers from many problems, mainly with the unfinished animation errors, bad dubbing, bad writing/dialog, and those horrible kids that almost ruined the show. This show however was saved with the interesting yet funny Decepticon characters, especially Starscream.... actually seemed to be the most of the interesting of the bunch, but at least you get your pick between the emo-tastic characters or the hilarious yet still badass Demolisher and Cyclonus. The Autobots seemed to be rather boring and bland, except the exceptions of the joke-cracking Jetfire, and the serious and highly sophisticated Red Alert. The humans in this series are by far the worst humans ever to be in Transformers, ever. Despite these problems however, this show actually gets REALLY good during the awesome Unicron Battles. Which only lasts for roughly around 10 to 12 episodes long.

Energon

Anime Graphics: 8.9/10
    CGI Graphics: 4.2/10
    Animation: 4.1/10
    Writing/Dialog: 2.5/10
    Characters: 2.6/10
    Plot/Storyline: 5.3/10
    Overall Score: 2.4/10

If there's ever one thing to be learned, is that to always.... when translating good animes, DO THEM RIGHT! Energon is hands down the worst Transformers series ever to air in the U.S. From the bad, writing to the bad dubbing, bulky, terrible animations.... none of the Transformers even seem to have lips.... not long facial expressions. You can easily tell the animators/designers were making the characters on a VERY cheap budget. And to also having yet another main annoying human, to the plot.... this series was a disaster. The only thing that saves this series are the toys, mainly the Decepticon toys since they were worth purchasing. I can pretty much see why Hasbro didn't bother wasting money putting this series on DVD, it wouldn't gain a huge profit.

Cybertron/Galaxy Force

Anime Graphics: 8.9/10
    CGI Graphics: 8.8/10
    Animation: 8.8/10
    Writing/Dialog: (Cybertron - 7.9/10, Galaxy Force - 8.2/10)
    Characters: 8.4/10
    Plot/Storyline: 8.2/10
    Overall Score: (Cybertron - 8.3/10, Galaxy Force - 9.2/10)

Honestly, after Energon.... we needed something that will bring in new blood and of course, interest into Transformers. And honestly, I can't think of anything better... though I also cannot see why there's some fans who hate this show. If anything they should keep an open mind, considering people do call Cybertron the best TF series since Beast Wars. And in some of this, I'd have to agree. Though I perfer Galaxy Force a bit more than Cybertron, this show is actually fun to watch, has many memorable moments, great voice acting, and a good rush that makes me just begging for more. The kids finally helped out the Autobots, and Lori always amused be... since she was my favorite of the bunch. And didn't I also mention this series has the BEST designs ever in a TF series? Damn straight. If only they would have just made the first 2 episodes the same as in Galaxy Force, I'd give Cybertron nearly as high of a score as the Japanese version.

Animated

Graphics: 7.1/10
    Animation: 6.8/10
    Writing/Dialog: 8.3/10
    Characters: 8.4/10
    Plot/Storyline: 8.6/10
    Overall Score: 8.7/10

Ok I admit, I didn't like the way they looked the first time I saw the designs... though I'm still not hugely fond of them either. But there's one thing I can say about this show, the writing's pretty good. Not the best stuff ever in Transformers, but good enough. The thing that kinda messes up the feeling of the dialog, are some of the designs and the somewhat choppy animations. I however, do feel nostalgic for Prime's commanding voice, or certain quotes derived from the previous shows (mainly G1) that makes Transformers special. The battles and entire scanrio needs to be tuned up to be a bit more refined and hardcore, like Beast Wars or Galaxy Force, it just needs that extra boost or power that will tune this series up just right. This show has potential, let's just hope they use that full potential.

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is something I'll never get. Why does no one understand that the character "changes" in BM are simply evolutions of the character? They are awesome and make sense.

Also, did you really need a 100 point scale for all of that stuff?

3. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I agree with a lot of what you said but for Graphics of Animated 7.2? It is easily a 1 or a 1.3 at best. The designs are TERRIBLE. You do have some good points though.

4. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Define 'terrible'. I do not see a single ounce of 'terrible' in the Animated designs (but then, I have trouble saying terrible in ANY designs).

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm having trouble understanding the scale. For example, your ratings for Beast Machines are 9.5, 9.7, 8.2, 7.8, 6.2, but your overall score is 5.6...

Doing some quick math, the overall score should be (rounded) 8.3, based on your selections.

6. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Ok I'll go into full nerd mode for this one:

Generation 1:

Graphics: 7/10
    Character Design: 10/10
    Animation: 4/10
    Writing/Dialog: 6/10
    Characters: 9/10
    Plot/Storyline: 7/10
    Voice Acting: 10/10
    Overall Score: 7.6/10

Iconic, nostalgic and the origin of most of the great characters in TF lore.
    Animation errors abound, the story becomes contrived and generic during season 2, and the movie and season 3 tank save for few highlights. Due to so many iconic elements, this version remains great. Cullen and Welker, Chris Latta, Scatman... the voice talent was incredible. But the lack of serious character development hampers this show.

Beast Wars

Graphics: 8/10
    Character Design: 4/10
    Animation: 9/10
    Writing/Dialog: 10/10
    Plot/Storyline: 10/10
    Voice Acting: 7/10
    Overall Score: 8.1/10

Great writing, excellent plot development, rich characters. It's still not in my top favorite transformer series. It's a great show, but the character designs SUCK IMHO. A robotic rat? Optimus Primal? Eh. Dinobot, in many ways, made this show for me. Code of Hero is one of my favorite cartoons of all time.

To this day, I hate that this is an official continuation of G1. I think it's a great show, but it just doesn't capture the essence of Transformers for me.

Beast Machines

Graphics: 6/10
    Character Design: 2/10
    Writing/Dialog: 8/10
    Characters: 3/10
    Plot/Storyline: 4/10
    Voice Acting: 6/10
    Overall Score: 5.4/10

I still liked the idea of the religious, philosophical aspect this show tried to take. The execution of this, however, sucked balls. I already disliked the Beast designs, this served to further worsen them, and trade character for robotic drones... The writing score is so high because of the innovation and the attempt to do something epic. Their take on Prime as a religious fanatic (which is more in line with the character than people think) was a phenominal idea. But the execution, sucked. This show is trash, but the writers and directors are to be commended for attempting to turn Transformers into a true cosmic soap opera.

Robots in Disguise

Graphics: 9/10
    Character Design: 9/10
    Writing/Dialog: 5/10
    Plot/Storyline: 4/10
    Voice Acting: 6/10
    Overall Score: 7.2/10

RID brought me back to TFs. I think the animation, character design, actual animation were GREAT. Sky Byte? Awesome. Scourge?! Super bad ass. Optimus Prime!? Awesome. Fortress Maximus!? Awesome. Actual character development was limited. The writing and plot were vey weak, especially after the caliber of stories we got out of Beast Wars. And this Megatron was a blatant pussy, WHICH I DETEST.

Voice acting was really cheesy...And the Predacons were too pussified... And Scourge should have won... But at least they got the core elements of the TF Franchise right.

Armada

Animation: 7/10
    Writing/Dialog: 7/10
    Characters: 8/10
    Voice Acting: 8/10
    Overall Score: 7.7/10

The graphics were nice in this one. The character designs ROCKED. Megs was tight, as was Starscream, as was Prime, I loved Hot Shot...

But most of the intro episodes sucked, the mini con hunt went on FAR.... TOO... LONG... But the characterization was great. The Starscream Megatron interaction was a beast. Starscream's defection was a great idea. Starscream's final Battle with Megs. Megs and Primes last fight. And the awesome sauce that is the Unicron Battles... This series ended strong. If not for the wack beginning and those god!&%@*% kids, this series would rate higher with me.

Energon

Graphics: 4/10
    Character Design: 8/10
    Animation: 5/10
    Writing/Dialog: 3/10
    Characters: 3/10
    Plot/Storyline: 2/10
    Voice Acting: 4/10
    Overall Score: 4.1/10

This show was absolutely horrible. Weak clunky animation, horrible writing, weak ass characters (including my single most hated human in TF's ever, Kicker), questionable voice acting... The only thing good that came out of this show was the toys, as was stated before. For a series with such potential, and tons of G1 homages, it was utterly terrible.

Cybertron

Graphics: 7/10
    Animation: 7/10
    Writing/Dialog: 7/10
    Voice Acting: 8/10
    Overall Score: 7.7/10

Yeah, Cybertron, in retrospect, was pretty damn good. I still dislike most of the human characters, especially when the girl challenges a Decepticon to a fight. That type of stuff is just stupid.

But with a great cast of characters, including the very cool take on Starscream, the new Scourge, the interplanetary travel, Primus, and some great battles, this was a pretty damn good show. Not excellent, but very satisfying. Writing tried to be clever, and at times was. And I liked that the Decepticons actually put up a real fight in this one. Megatron and Starscream, at times, came through the Autobots like a wrecking crew. The super mode and transformation times got annoying after awhile, but that really didn't interfere with the show for me.

Animated

Animation: 8/10
    Writing/Dialog: 8/10
    Characters: 10/10
    Plot/Storyline: 10/10
    Voice Acting: 10/10
    Overall Score: 9/10

When I first saw the designs... I thought WTF are they thinking? You give us this realistic movie and follow it with this?! But the style lends itself to Transformers very well. Animation has gotten better as the series has gone along. The writing is excellent... Seeing the young Optimus grow is great. I have a feeling he'll eventually get that little bass his voice needs as his legend grows. Megatron and Starscream are PRICELESS. Lockdown!? Prowl?! A cool explanation for the seekers?! F'n Omega Supreme! The TICK homage Sentinel Prime is great... Homages everywhere...

My only knock on this show is the one shot characters that abound. Hasbro needs to kick out more money (or get Frank Welker back :)  ) so that we can stop seeing all these one shot characters. Other than that, this show is great, and although it hasn't reached greatest of all time status yet, I think it's on the way.

7. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Thank you. Someone else who gets it!

And you can't give Armada a better score than Beast Machines... you just... can't.

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    And I'm having trouble understanding why why someone would differentiate between graphics and animation for traditional 2D animation. The animation IS the graphics.

And thank you, Caesar121, for adding categories for "Character Design" and "Voice Acting." Those are both extremely important in any animated fare.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    superlink was not a good anime.

superlink was a nonsensical clusterfuck of fail in japanese as well.

10. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

11. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    You have a point. I'll edit them now.

12. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I'm having trouble understanding how anyone could be bothered to type all that out...

Fair play though.

13. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I have to disagree with Beast Machines having a stupid ending. I like the idea of a techno-organic Cybertron. I still consider the show to be rather well-written but agree that the character designs were pretty ugly.

14. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Definitely this.

15. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    ive seen only G1 and animated..and i choose animated...the writing is better..G1 gets lame here n there..

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Eventually Cybertron and all the Transformers became fully organic. And then the whole thing fell through a transwarp wormhole into the distant past and the planet became Earth. They lived for millions of years quite happily until an experiment they were in a joint venture with the Vok in went wrong and killed them all off (actually the Vok betrayed the organic TFs and used the second moon weapon to wipe the planet clean). Eventually life started to evolve again and we got dinosaurs and mammals and stuff. And then Optimus Primal and Megatron crashed on the planet and began the Beast Wars.

And then my brain exploded. :D