Where does Steven Spielburg get off, or does he?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by fiire_dragon_88, Oct 9, 2007.

1. fiire_dragon_88

fiire_dragon_88 Andimus Prime Time

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks about this, because I know I'm confused as hell.

All last year when I heard any type of information about the movie it was always Micheal Bay this or the writers that. I never once heard anything about Steven Spielburg doing anything. I know he's executive producer, but is that simply a title for him to sit on his ass all day. What I'm trying to find out is, did he really have anything to do with the movie. If someone knows, could you please tell me.

2. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Well, Spielberg picked Michael Bay to do the movie, even said he was born to direct it. That's a pretty big contribution to the project.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    he got bay on board, for one.

4. fiire_dragon_88

Alright, so he picked bay to direct the movie, which yes does make the film bad or good, which I suppose in this movie was a little conflicted amoung people. Is there anything else that he did that was spectacular. Personly I think Steven should have directed it himself.

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Personally, I think if Spielberg was at the helm, all the human courage moments that so many people despise so much would've been multiplied x10. Mikaela would've killed Brawlastator by backing the tow-truck into him and then yelled some empowering "girl power" battle-cry.

6. fiire_dragon_88

That's probably very true, but I think James Cameron would have been better choise than Bay.

Thank you for answering my question though, I just wanted to know what Spielburg's role actaully was in the movie.

7. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

^^^Or, on the opposite side of the coin, maybe Spielberg saw the original cut and removed all scenes where people wave the USA flag in slow motion while jets pass overhead and Sam yells "MEGAAATRONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!"

:) 

8. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

He also hand-picked the writers and gave them an angle for the story. Orci mentioned during production that Spielberg would give them input/feedback/suggestions on the script.

9. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Spielburg was at one point changing some of the direction towards bumble bee if i remember correctly. He said that the audience actually had to like bumblebee as sentient being , which came about because there wasnt enough personality given to him in the original revision. If only they gave more personality to any of the others.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    this is how the movie world works sonny:

- actual producers pitch project/movie to studios
    - studios hem and haw at prospect of movie based on kids toy/cartoon from 80s
    - super duper megastar film guy steven spielberg comes on board
    - studio execs cream in their pants

basically, just having spielbergs name attached to the project opened up a lot of avenues and leeway towards making the movie as big as it was, its all abt clout. his involvement was at best superficial (but its all good, this is hollywood after all), towards the beginning of the project in establishing general direction of the story/treatment and getting the right ppl on board (ILM, michael bay, etc.).

just look at how long that last superman movie was in production limbo. pre production is a big deal.

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Its also been reported that Transformers is a 'passion project' for Spielberg. I believe Spielberg had input overall at various stages, but Bay had the final say and oversaw all aspects of day-to-day filming and post production.

12. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:
    I would have to disagree on Spielberg directing it. Even though he does great work, the human to robot film ratio would increase, as Optimus Prime may have had all but 3 lines.

13. Nelson

Nelson Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    SS signs the checks. He also approves certain things at high level, like casting decisions (Bay wanted Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in the movie, Spielberg over-rode that decision), and certain creative decisions. He wasn't micromanaging but he was knew everything.

Remember it was Spielberg that came with the "boy and his car" angle.

14. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I would have much prefered The Rock to Tyrese. Oh well. Maybe TF2.

15. rerunwatson99

rerunwatson99 Well-Known Member

nah to the rock
    i do like the rock...but tyrese had it comin'...
    personally....will smith would have been excellent

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I likes Tyrese. As for Will Smith, God no. The movie would have revolved around him.

17. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Being executive producer is an important job: Spielberg provides his cash for the film to be made. In addition, Spielberg brought on Orci, Kurtzman, Bay and LaBeouf onto the film, and also gave advice on the script. It was his idea to focus on Sam and Bumblebee, and he read every draft on the script.