Where do you see Transformers in.....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SpencimusPrime, Oct 19, 2009.

1. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Where do you see Transformers in 5 years? 10 years? 20? Not just Toys, all forms of media. Do you predict at some point there will be a drop off in popularity, or a drastic increase? Will nostalgia from the younger fandom (myself included) cause a return to beasts?

I look forward to any and all responses.

Sincerely,
    Spencer

2. Swiftcat Prime

Swiftcat Prime Good always triumphs!

Hard to say. It's likely that in a few years that their popularity will drop. But since there is such a big fandom for Transformers it's hard to say. The whole concept of Transformers captures peoples' imagination and hearts. From what I've seen when a person grows up with Transformers they remember them always. Once a TF fan always a TF fan it seems. I would like it if they would make TF movie that is suitable for the whole family, the content of TF2 was horrible. Did they forget that originally that Transformers were made for kids? If you grew up with G1 series, think about it what did you love about them? Were there improper elements, language? Did they have weird pretenders like that one from the new movie? I love Transformers so don't get me wrong. I'm just disappointed in the new movies.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Toys R Us.

No, seriously. They've been around for 20 years, and in one form or another, they likely aren't going anywhere for a long time. What form we see them in is going to depend on what kids want, more than nostalgia from older fans.

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Agreed.

5. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

What's more interesting to think about is that as all of us G1-ers age in the next 10 to 20 years, the Transformer nostalgia may manifest itself in the more recent lines like Armada or Energon as that generation of fans gets older and starts having greater influence on media and culture. G1's influence on the landscape will decline. It's probably at its peak now with the movies being primarily inspired and informed by G1 and people who grew up with G1.

6. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

Definitely still around. It has stood the test of time and is still hugely popular today.

I imagine soon both TV shows and films will be entirely CG.

Megatron and Optimus Prime will still be used and people will still be blaming Hot Rod for Optimus' death!

Also, BW and Animated will still look horrible.

7. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Transformers is doing AWESOME now and maybe the new T.V. show will keep it going for a little bit, then TF3 will come out and after that I can't say.

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I firmly believe you about the return to Beast Wars. As I and the rest of the fandom growing up at that time get to be as old as the G1 fans, we'll probably start causing an influence in the current "fandom focused" series like Universe and Classics. We already got Cheetor and Dinobot! Not the best figures, but certainly a good step towards some better beasts! :D 

9. neoprimus01

neoprimus01 Jackpot

We never age...we are immortal!

10. Brrjit

Brrjit Fembot in Disguise

It's lasted for 25 years so far...I think it still has a long way to go :) 
    New series will continue to pull new fans in (I am a good example of this), money-making toys will keep being made, and fans will always push for fresh ideas in the fandom. I don't think Transformers is going to dwindle any time soon.

11. simonatmac

simonatmac The stop motion maker

Ebay:
    As long as there are kids, TF will be. It don´t matter how old,even Spielberg is a kid :drool: and Bay too. Great. I´m 37, no kids yet, but soon, I guess. My kids will love me even more for the toys I´ll be buying.
    As long as there is a kinda fascination in machines, TF will be.

12. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as they keep on TV/Theatres we will always see them on shelves.

13. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think we'll see more unlicensed third-party companies entering the Transformer toy business, releasing products that go beyond the usual G1 franchise.

I think eventually we'll have more Transformers where the robots have human altmodes, maybe even a whole franchise based on them.

14. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

5 years from now - BW fans' nostalgia in the ascendancy
    10 years from now - ??
    20 years from now - kids who grew up on the Bayverse movies will be in charge

It's that middle bit... I just don't think A/C/E and RiD had the same pull as BW or the Bay movies. Which is either a shame or not, depending on you.

Also, agree, that we'll forever have a hardcore of 'names' (maybe characters) in Prime, Megs, Starscream, Bumblebee, etc.

In 10 years' time it'll probably definitely be possible to have a live-action / CGI tv series of the same calibre of effects as the movies, I'd imagine Hasbro would hang their hat on that.

(Though, if it were up to me, the next 20 years would be a G1, classics & TFA wankfest.)

15. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    As technology continues to improve, we'll see more complex transformations but more accurate transformations as well. Meaning the toy will transform exactly as it does on screen. I can also see a powered automated line where they do it automatically and still be accuate (unlike gravity bots or activators).

As long as there's a market, there'll be Transformers. They still hold their appeal and are going strong.

16. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I agree with the comments that the influnece of G1 might start to fade. In 10 - 20 years time, the Bayformers look could dominate. It'll be funny to still be around even in 5 years time and have many a child look back at G1 in disgust, with it's very blocky designs.

Toywise, I hope things don't become too technological. I enjoy transforming them myself, even activators put me off.

17. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

I doubt it'd be 'disgust' toward G1 in 5 years' time, Phoenix Blaze, I'd imagine G1 to still be held in (even more) reverence as far as the toys are concerned.

Yes, they'll be old, blocky, obsolete but considered to be seminal and, diminishing in numbers, so held on a par with the first ever Action Men, Corgi cars, Kenner Star Wars figures, etc.

(Mmmm, look at my minty minty Optimus Prime with missiles still on the tree...)

18. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Where do I see Transformers in 20 years? Don't say 'doin' your wife, don't say doin' your wife...'

Anyway, the designs will be much more complex, but the basic principals will be there. I'd imagine that the movie designs will be the basis, due to the fact that in 20 years, the kids that know nothing but Bay-formers (I hate that term) will be the ones that want the nostalgia of their youth. Meanwhile, those of us who grew up with G1 and Beast Wars will still be whining that we never got a proper Shockwave or Wheeljack.

19. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

bloody hell mate, 'disgust' is a bit strong :D 

toys are very much of their generation and it's not likely our kids are going to view the toys their parents had with much nostalgia, but the G1 market is riding a wave of retro-cool at the moment. Sure that isn't going to last forever but I can't see there being much of a backlash when the zeitgeist fades away.

if nothing else in a few years the movie designs will be seen as a bit naff (early 90s of TF collecting, anybody?) before the kids who played with them grow up and have a bit of disposable cash, and the same thing eventually happens to the movie lines.

20. TMIIWonkoNemi

TMIIWonkoNemi Well-Known Member

In 5 to 10 years,you would probably see more hardcore Beast Wars/Machines Fans around.