Customs: Where do you get your sttrene from?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by megatronatlas, Dec 30, 2010.

1. megatronatlas

megatronatlas Well-Known Member

Ok Where do you guys get your styrene from. I tried hobby lobby today and they looked at me like...Duh we are a hobby store and dont know what that is! And also is HLJ the only place to get the hands and option kits from? thanks in advance

Edit:the title should say Styrene

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I have a local Model Railroad shop that opened up not to far from me that has a whole section dedicated to Styrene. I haven't needed any in a while, but it's nice to know I have a wide selection locally avaliable.

As for the option kits, you really need to do some looking on your own. I'm not trying to be rude, but there are plenty of import websites other than HLJ that carry those kinds of things. A quick search of "Armored Core Weapon" on AmiAmi gives me this:
    AmiAmi the biggest internet figure shop in Japan.

3. megatronatlas

thank you very much I kept using the keywords "option kits" so my search kept showing me hlj. but once again thanks

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I get mine at my local HobbytownUSA when I need some extra for a project.

But the majority of my styrene I've purchased from Hobbylinc.com. Here's a link to their plastics section:

Hobbylinc.com - Plastics

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

When I need more, I get it from my local modelling shop, Gee Dee (which is nowhere near you, sorry :p ). If you've got anywhere nearby that cater to railway modellers, they're probably the guys to check out.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Walmart... You can use the for sale signs. they either are styrene, or something VERY similar.

7. megatronatlas

Hobbyinc.com I had forgotten all about, I used them for my railroad model a long time ago. Thanks again everyone.

8. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

This. Hobby styrene, the same stuff, cost more. I hate being an artist because I get to see all this market pricing crap left and right. Pay 6 dollars for a pen in the artist section or 2 bucks in scrapbooking.

9. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

In which section of Walmart would I find the for sale signs?

10. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:

By the padlocks at Meijers...I want to say by the hoses and plumbing in wal mart. You can ask. Home depot has them too.

Little tip...

The bigger signs are thicker then the small signs. Need thicker just use super glue since it seems to perfectly bind styrene.

I haven't tried wiping the paint off (guessing oven cleaner would work) but it can be painted over when a build is done anyway.

11. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Near home tools and stuff like that. Only downside to those signs is they are thin and you'd need quite a few of them to have enough to build up a nice thickness to use (at least for most of the things I build using styrene).

The styrene pricing on Hobbylinc.com isn't that bad and I can honestly say that I've used a LOT of styrene over the years and I still have some left that I picked up from back in '08 for a good price.....in other words, it can last if you don't need tons of it. Best money I've ever spent on kitbashing tools/materials.

12. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, Ill go pick up a few signs later.

13. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Not that I advocate it but some political/real estate/promotional yard signs are also styrene. Some of which are thicker then anything from a hobby shop.

I do get styrene tubing and rods from hobby stores. A little tip there is to look in the model railroad sections. Near the grass and trees.

14. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

15. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's pretty obvious the "for sale" "Garage sale" signs at wal marts and most department stores aren't Vinyl. The smell isn't there for one the other is the malleability doesn't match any vinyl product. You either get metal , styrene or corrugated plastic.

Here's the company that makes the signs:

Catalog - HyKo Products

Polystyrene produced.

16. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

OK, let's say they are polystyrene. I could be mistaken, all I know is that those signs do not exhibit the properties of the sheet normally used for scratch building. I know the stuff very well having used it for 20 plus years now. I assumed they may be PVC sheet, as I know for certain they are NOT a simple polystyrene.

You have to understand that "polystyrene" is often used as a catch all name. But what is it exactly? Is it GPPS, HIPS, ABS, or SAN? All are polystyrene, but include different co-polymers and have different physical properties.

Other things to consider...are there additives in the polystyrene that makes up the for sales signs your using? If they are really bright white, then it's a good bet there is a brightener in them. It it very flexible? Can you bend the sheet 180 degrees without bending or snapping? If so in may contain some type of elastomer. Also what other type of co-polymers are used in that sheet?

Keep in mind polystyrene can vary depending on the co-polymers used. Regular straight up styrene sheet for scratch building is what Evergreen sells.

It's fairly rigid, you can score and "snap" it...It fuses together when bonded with CA glue...and although it is white, it's usually not a super bright white. In fact laying a piece of printer paper on it shows a clear difference here.

My point with all this? For Sale signs are easy to find, but you'll find your plain old vanilla styrene sheet easier to work with.

Other options include purchasing full 4x8 sheet from places like AIN or TAP Plastics.