Where do you get your comics?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by .SentinelPrime Is Dead., Nov 2, 2006.

1. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

"Local" comic store is a specific trip to somewhere I wouldn't usually otherwise need to go, and the staff have tended to be pretty damn unhelpful in the past -- though those staff are probably long since gone, and they had floor-to-ceiling TPB assortments and had moved the comics downstairs to where they'll be seen last time I went in.

So, TF stuff = OneShallStand, other stuff as singles (eg, Fell) = eBay, and Amazon/eBay/highstreet for TPBs and hardbacks. If I had more of a routine, I'd probably check out the tiny but friendly store that's a bit closer -- they don't really stock singles, but order through Diamond and will do pull lists.

2. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

For me, its my local comic store, all the way.
    Considering they rent one of the storefronts right below my house, in the building I own, its not that hard to drop in regularly and pick up comics. :D 

3. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I have bought comics there, decentt little shop in a neat part of town. I do my shopping at Danger Zone in Salem, OR. Even after moving 120 miles away I will still make the trip to salem every 2 or 3 months to pick up my subscriptions.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Monthly titles - Local comic store.
    Trade paperbacks - Even split between local comic store, Borders and Amazon.
    Back issues - Online.

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    local comic shop - Graham Cracher Comics - which is great because they have a ton of locations so if I miss or need something, I will almost 100% get it.

6. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

Either:
    Golden Apple in Reseda
    or Continental Comics in Granada Hills
    or Collectors Paradise in Canoga Park

7. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Local comic shop, the one I go to is pretty cool, he bags&boards all his stuff for free, and offers discounts on some stuff he gets big orders of.

8. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

Gotta support the local shops. I moved from NYC to eastern PA recently and now there are only 2 shops I know of. One very close to my house went under some time ago but the half abandoned strip mall it was in has yet to either 1.) find a new tennent 2.) take down the old sign.

I feel bad for the shops I left behind in NY.

I usually prefer the 'club' type shops (dark, friendly staff, hasn't been redeccoed since the 70's, weird looking regulars) over the 'corporate' type (brightly light, highly diversified, heavy into manga and Magic the Gathering, mostly kids as customers and staff)

EDIT: for people on a buisness trip in/around Reading PA. Golden Eagle comics in the Fairgrounds Mall (club) and Humongo Comics in Pottstown (corporate) there's another place in Kutztown but I haven't been there yet.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Nice theory, except I hit up the store 6 hours before you...

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get mine (nowadays only trades) at my local comic book store. If not, I would get them from a bookstore (surprisingly a Japanese one) that carries a wide range of comics.

11. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Get mine at a really local Comic Shop ( I could probably walk there but with how cold it is now, no wanna) Black Hole Comics, guy's planning to move though I think, I wouldn't blame him the former Soaps & Suds place that was next door has gone nuts lately. (they have a blarring Radio in the back that echos in his shop.

Anyway, if I miss out on something there at his shop I usually check Woldens just sucks don't get a discount anymore there. (gotta have coupon but they suck cause it's such a limited time. ) Though that's mainly for Manga books and well now Newtype magazine. ( I got a thing to get a 6 month subscription to that though)

Just only prob with going to my place is now the road is all tore up. Freaking City, so many MAIN roads need worked on but no they wanna do all the little roads. X_x

Anyway going there today, gonna try and get caught up on a series I missed out on due to a dumb choice.

12. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh.

Well can you at least leave some food outside your house?
    I get hungry trying to spy on you.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

The chili plant still has a few left on there, help yourself.

14. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    I go to my local comic shop - Red Nails II. They're good guys there and it's close to my house. If I need to get something online (incentives, back issues) I usually use Comic Central or Graham Crackers.

15. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I buy my monthlies through my local shop, and any TPBs that happen to come in on the shelves (it's a small store, so they don't order many) since I get a 25% pull-list discount. I haven't been buying many TPBs lately due to Civil War, but I'm going to start buying them cheap online. The last thing I ordered in was the New X-Men Omnibus. Ya I could have gotten it way cheaper elsewhere, but it's nice to drop a giant order like that on a small business every now and again.

16. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hawtness.
    Literally.

17. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Austin Books when at home; at one of these crappy Lone Star Comics satellite locations when in DFW.

18. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Get all my comics (well I only get TF comics that catch my interest) and anime from a family owned place in Toronto. Been going there for years and know the guys there pretty well so I get all sorts of freebies and deals so I dont have to shop anywere else for this kinda stuff.

Wow I live (when not at school) like 5 minits from there, its on Jane right?

19. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    Cool! :)  There's two locations. Ones across the street from Jane station, the other's at Jane and Wilson (found inside the mall). I go to the Jane/Wilson one, what about yourself?

20. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Ahhhh, cool, I go to OneMillionComix downtown.