Where do Transformers live-action films go after the Bay series?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

As I've said before, I'd like to see the polar opposite of Bay (i.e., someone with intelligence and true creative skill) taking the reins of a reboot.

Ideally, I'd like to see Brad Bird take the helm. The designs would hew closer to the animated designs (mainly the realistic series, though I do love Animated) and would have much more color and identifiable personality.

The story would be about the TFs themselves, with humans no longer used as "gateway" characters. In these post-Avatar days, there's no reason TF live-action films can't have A) more bot screentime and B)the bots as main characters.

I would also want Cullen back, of course, but I'd also want him to voice Ironhide. I'd want Welker as Megatron and Soundwave, and it would be great to utilize as much voice talent from all the series as possible. Voice actors are often better actors than "real actors" anyway!

There should be a smart, clear storyline with heart and a sense of awe and fun not unlike those parts of TF1 that really worked.

And this should be a series that isn't afraid of Cybertron. The film should start there or at least be set there for some time.

Think you have a better idea? Let's hear it!

2. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Ah, don't we all want something like this?

You definetly list features I'd love. But I'd keep Weaving as Megatron, Harnell as Ironhide, Mark Ryan as what he does, Jablonsky as the music, and Marty Isenberg, Bob Forward and Larry DiTillio as writers. I'd have Spielberg or Brad Bird to direct. Or maybe Christopher Nolan (directed Dark Knight). Without Bay, this could definetly work much better. I'd also keep the designs we have now. Just too complex to not love.

3. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I'd like something different, y'know for the sake of being different (what's the point of rebooting if it's gonna be more of the same? lol)

I love the Michael Bay movies, they remind of G1 what with the plot holes and the corny humor and the lack of character development and action scenes.

I think that a movie (or series of movies) that took place on Cybertron mainly would be VERY interesting to see, with just a few characters that were well-developed (like Beast Wars).

4. PrimePower04

PrimePower04 I got the touch!

I really think the designs need to stay similar....like thats what the general public is used to...and Me personally think they are realisitc. cullen as prime and thats a good start

5. ---The RAt

---The RAt Well-Known Member

You know funny you should mention that. It was this past Friday at work. I opened the game cabinet, so a kid could pick out a DS game. He looked though and his mom pointed out the transformers ROTF game, and the Animated game. He picked out the ROTF game, because he said "I want this one because it has the real transformers in it"
    He was around 7 or 8, so if he's representative of the general populous yea the general public definitely has more of an attraction to\knowledge of Bayformers

6. Excelsior Prime

I think a good visual compromise for the TFs would be the ones in the ongoing comics-a blending of the G1 and Bayformer sensibilities, which actually, IMO, look pretty good. They're detailed yet also have more humanity and thus remind me more of G1/RID/Unicron Trilogy.

7. PrimePower04

good story and this is what I mean....most people identify with bayformers..all my 21 year friends call the G1 designs kiddish and i agree..they were great in 86 as a cartoon no disrespect but the modernized bayformers are the future whether ya like it or not

8. Excelsior Prime

^^^No offense, but to say that any one iteration of TF is "the future" is a little presumptuous.

I have a feeling WFC is going to have a greater impact on younger non-TF fans because video games seem to offer more bang for the buck than movies these days.

In time, those designs will make their way into a movie (and they're likely going to be in TF:p  somehow) so I don't think the Bay designs are going to last forever.

9. Excelsior Prime

^^^No offense, but to say that any one iteration of TF is "the future" is a little presumptuous.

I have a feeling WFC is going to have a greater impact on younger non-TF fans because video games seem to offer more bang for the buck than movies these days.

In time, those designs will make their way into a movie (and they're likely going to be in TF:p  somehow) so I don't think the Bay designs are going to last forever.

10. Excelsior Prime

11. Excelsior Prime

12. PrimePower04

actually there not really bay designs...most of the Tfs in the movies resemble the originals..im just sayin the modernness, the kind of weird faces, alt modes, weaponry, and so on will be the main stay for the live action movies

13. Evil Dead

Evil Dead Well-Known Member

I almost feel compelled to throw my hands up over my mouth after saying such a thing, and so do feel free to read this bit muffled: I kind of sort of feel as though someone like Peter Jackson could do a top-notch job of directing a most fantastic Transformer movie. :: throws hands up over mouth anyways ::

I don't know. I guess I can't really say all that much, as I haven't read The Lord of the Rings, but I couldn't help but note he did a pretty good job of translating and keeping so many characters with such an intricate plot into a movie format.

That being said, I think I would also like the guys to look like a cross between Generation 1 and Animated--sort of like if they mostly resembled their original forms, but with a few tweaks to make them look slightly more fluid and streamlined.

14. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    closer to animated? No. Please no.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'd hope for a creative team that really understands what a villain can bring to a movie. A team that could go for the goal of Decepticons worthy of the movie villain hall of fame instead of just being cannon fodder to make Sam, the military or the Autobots look good.

Something a bit different in the designs would be nice as well. I like something like the War for Cybertron look because it just looks to me like machines that have been at war for a very long time and that evolution would mean robots shared physical features instead of going crazy with things like backward knees. At the very least something like movie Prime where you know it's Prime without anyone having to tell you.

But who knows exactly what we will get after Bay rides off into one of those 800 sunsets we seem to get in his films. Just got my fingers crossed who ever gets it next thinks that story and the character of the robots both Autobot and Decepticon are important.

16. garinhash

garinhash Well-Known Member

agree

17. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    what about the guys that did war on cybertron game do the designs for a reboot on a film..

least they look like the robots and make it brutal as hell..

18. Excelsior Prime

Please go back and read my post. I said I thought the designs should look realistic, like all the series EXCEPT Animated. I then said that I liked Animated nonetheless.

Or did you read my post, but just decided to focus on "Animated" and then bash it in troll-like fashion?

19. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would like the G1 voice actors to come back and the designers work on a perfect fusion of move-verse and G1 character design. Focus more on the backstory and use the humans as filler.

20. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd wait a couple years after Bay's done and reboot with a story that focuses squarely on the Autobot/Decepticon war as seen through the eyes of a teenager (probably a Witwicky, but not Sam).

It'd also take advantage of Hollywood's penchant for remakes by essentially mixing elements of "All Hail Megatron", the first Marvel and Dreamwave G1 arcs, "More Than Meets The Eye", and some of the newer cartoons - and even a couple bits of some of Devil's Due's JOE/TF crossovers (minus the Joes and Cobra, of course) with "The Seven Samurai": the Decepticons are already here, they rise up one day and terrorize, pillage and plunder the Earth entire; upon learning more about what they are and where they come from, the diminishing ranks of human resistance manage to send off a distress signal to Optimus Prime, who responds with a grand total of six Autobots backing him up as they attempt to fight off an entire legion of Decepticons. The whole thing climaxes with a standoff in a shattered and downpour-drenched Manhattan Island, complete with an energy-melee showdown between Optimus and Megatron (in which this CGI incarnation of Optimus would actually last more than two minutes in the fight).

I might retain Cullen and Welker, but I'd recast Cullen as Ironhide and lay some form of vocoder-type distortion over Welker's "Soundklaw" voice, if for no other reason than to maintain some distance from the previous films while still nodding back to the franchise's history.

As for the designs - I'd probably lean closer to Figueroa's Ongoing designs, only with faces that are more distinct from one another - probably still as detailed, but distinguishable (even the actual Bayformer faces are mostly all different). I would, however, retain things like wheel-feet and claws and no mass-shifting (although I wouldn't be as inclined to cheat with the latter as Bay tended to).

Oh, and no MacGuffins that everybody is racing or any of those 'chosen-one'-teenage-boy-using-the-special-power-to-vanquish-evil or humans-working-together-to-conquer-the-super-advanced-invaders cliches - the fate of the Earth should hinge SOLELY on the Autobots and Decepticons.