Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Barsam, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Barsam

Barsam New Member

Well, after watching the Michael Bay Transformers trilogy, I became in love with the series. Now I want to start watching the TV show but I have no idea with which series to start with. I don't prefer old ones like the ones made in the 80's but any series made in the 95's to 2011 I accept. Thanks

2. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well you got animated and the new Transformers prime on the Hub would be a good start.
    Beast wars is a great series also.

3. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers: Robots in Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Animated, Prime.

4. Barsam

Barsam New Member

Thanks!

5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Start with Beast Wars and then go to the follow up series Beast Machines. Now since 2000, I would highly advice watch Transformers Animated and Prime.

6. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Start with More than meets the eye Part 1 and go from there.

7. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

mmm I would say Beast Wars, but maybe you won't get some G1 references from the last season, anyways is a really good series, one of the best
    for something new, animated or TF: Prime :) 

8. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Welcome to the fandom! :) 

There are plenty of jumping-on points, so if you don't want to start at the beginning, you've got a lot of options. My first recommendation is TF Prime. It's a current show, very well-written, and it draws some inspiration from both the movies (including having some of the same writers) and the older series. It's currently being broadcast on the Hub, but it can easily be found on Youtube as well.

Transformers Animated is the second most recent cartoon, if you prefer a series that's complete. Some people are turned off by the modern art style at first, but it's got good writing, a lot of charm, and is a big fan favorite.

Beast Wars is also a good choice. The late-90s CG is a little dated, and the all-animal modes are different than the usual vehicle focus, but it was one of the first TF cartoons that was written well and it's still a good show even by today's standards.

Good luck! I hope you find a series you love as much as the movies. :thumb 

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Anything except for things relating to MUNKY's or Energon.

10. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I don't think Animated will have quite the same charm for someone not familiar with G1, however. Beast Wars is the same way, to a much smaller extent. If you've never seen any Transformers series, and just want to hop in, I'd recommend giving Robots In Disguise (2001) a look. The whole thing is on Youtube. A good mix of classic designs, action and humor. It is also one contained series with its own continuity and story.

Prime of course is on Hub right now, and is very accessible to the current fans because of the movie styled look.

Also, even though you said you didn't want to start with the 80's show, I'd really recommend at least watching some of G1 at some point. Gotta see where it all began.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Go for the comics. They may be hard to find sometimes, but they're often a more "mature" take on the characters compared to some of the animated shows, you might enjoy them.

There's the IDW comics (G1 & Movieverse)
    The GI Joe Devil's Due Crossovers (vol. 1-4)
    The Dreamwave stuff (More than Meets the Eye, War and Peace)
    and the classic Marvel Stuff, available through the titan books or as Transformers Classics published by IDW.

12. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Watch Beast Wars. :D 

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

IMO you need to watch G1, if only for the vast contextual references it will give you throughout the more awesome series like Beast Wars and Animated.

Granted, you can enjoy either without G1, but it really does add so much texture.

The only problem is that watching G1 all the way through can be a bit of a hard slog and you might not feel like trying anything else afterwards. Don't get me wrong, G1 is great and really good fun in places, it's just that some of the episodes are just farcical and the animation in season 3 will drain the joy from your soul.

My favourite series is Beast Wars, but if you enjoyed the movies, you can't go far wrong with Prime.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Watch Beast Wars, Animated, Cybertron and Prime. Those are my favourite series.

15. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    If you don't want a G1 base then I have no clue where to start. Your best bet is to get on board with TF: Prime.

Beast Wars is way too different and Beast Machines will throw you for a loop.
    RID may be something to look in to.
    Stay away from Armada Energon and Cybertron if you want to remain a fan
    Animated without G1 roots may nto be appreciated. It was very new in concept made by G1 fans and catered a lot (but no where near completely) to G1 Fans.

Prime is all I can suggest.

16. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi and welcome!
    Everyone will have a different answer as to where to start.
    Just remember that every series and the movies have their own canon (way of telling the story) so many things will vary per series and movies.
    I say start with the 80's G1 series, just because that's the beginnng of the fandom.

I'm not one of those G1ers that goes ape shit if everything isn't exactly like G1. I happen to love the Bayformers

17. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Beast Wars is considered by many (including myself) to be the best series. The problem is that I don't think that you can enjoy BW on the level that it's meant to be enjoyed without having seen the original series.

I'm gonna agree with Transformers: Prime. You get to experience some of great voices from the original show's cast, as well as very good animation just like in Beast Wars.

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

^ This.

You have been warned.

19. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

From G1: Any mini-series is a must. More than Meets the Eye, Ultimate Doom, The Movie, Five Face of Darkness, Dark Awakening\Return of Optimus Prime, and Rebirth for example. Most of the stand alone can be skipped.

Beast Wars and Beast Machines

Animated

Prime

20. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I have to agree with this, other than Beast Machines could be skipped. But overall this would give u pretty good feel for the extent of the Transformers cartoons.