Where did TLK went wrong?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Wubglitch, Jan 24, 2018.

?

TLK vs AOE writing?

Poll closed Feb 7, 2018.
  1. TLK were written better

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. AOE were written better

22 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. Neither of them were even good.

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Both of them are at the same level

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. 2007 movie

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HawaiianBro808

HawaiianBro808 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Age Of Extinction, and TF1 are both well written so is Dark of the Moon :) 

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Honestly I think AOE and TLK have been slowly improving on many things even if it doubles down on the same bigger issues the movies have.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Toddimus Prime

Toddimus Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Welcome! I'd be glad to offer my two-cents...

Likes: The inclusion of Peter Cullen and Frank Welker as part of the voice-cast, the score, epic shots and cinematography, fight choreography, stellar CGI effects, and...some fans have complained about the human side of the films, how sometimes they focus too much on the human characters and not as much on the actual Transformers at times, but...for me, I like the interactions between the two. I like the build-up in the first film...you get a sense of what an arrival of Cybertronians might look like in the real world. I always liked that attention to detail...the human reactions, interactions, and exposition makes the Transformers themselves so cool, mysterious, imposing, and awe-inspiring, much more so than they would have otherwise without a strong human component, or had they been introduced and maintained as the sole focus in each respective story. There's a synergy and interplay between humans and Transformers that makes it seem realistic and engrossing to watch. I always compare this dynamic to the one in E.T. The Extra Terrestrial...how much more interesting is it that there are government-type UFO-chasers, scientists, FBI agents, and other federal agents catching-on to E.T.'s arrival and trying to capture him for observation and study...much like they would in real life, if alien life were to ever arrive on Earth. That same dynamic exists with these films as well, which grounds it in at least a resemblance of reality, and that makes it so fun and interesting to watch...

Dislikes: Coarse, crude language/potty humor. I don't mind it in small doses, like the small scene of Bumblebee "lubricating" all-over Agent Simmons in the first film, and how Optimus reprimands him...it's a funny little spot. I just don't like it when they clunk you over the head with it, like with the dogs, er...performing acts on each other, or similar behaviors done by small robots...sometimes they took things too far. I also don't enjoy dumb dialogue and/or dumb exposition...I like some of the exposition in all of the films, but...I guess I'm thinking of Brains in AOE explaining to everyone how Megatron was able to return as Galvatron. I don't know how that could have been handled in a different way, but...that voice doing the explaining? Ugh... (lol) Another thing I didn't like was Sam in DOTM acting at times like he was on crack or speed something...when he tries to break-into N.E.S.T. and his vehicle is detained, he starts screaming like an idiot for no discernible reason...I understand if he's frustrated that no one seems to be taking him seriously, but c'mon...how old are you, dude? He overdid it in some scenes...

One more small thing I didn't like, and this is a technical issue, I guess, but...I expected the Transformers' respective voices to sound "bigger", or maybe echo more in some cases...and it seems that the further-along these films went, it was harder and harder to detect that synthesized sound in their voices that was more noticeable in the first film. It was as if the voices were just dubbed-in, with almost no discernible change or modulation to imply size or synthesis. That ones a very minor issue I can live with though, I guess...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  4. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Where did it go wrong?

It was made in the first place.

5. Fivepeepeeman

Fivepeepeeman Who the hell do you think I am?!

TLK was so damned rushed. I didn’t feel like it could be possible considering it was two and a half hours long. It’s like they crammed like 10 different subplots into a movie and it was all moving way too fast.

They also hyped Megatron up so much but they wasted him.

They did a poor job explaining things as well. Who are these new Decepticons and why are they hanging with Megatron? Where did Bumblebee get his ability to put himself back together.

That one moment where Prime wasn’t possessed and they pulled the “you were my friend!1!1” cliche and he turned back.

“STING LIKE A BEE” is cringey by itself

• Like Like x 3
  6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    This movie was basically Bay surrendering to the mindset of "Whelp, they'll never give me a chance. Might as well make the TF movie they keep saying I made anyway. Why fight it?"

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Two steps forward, one step backwards.

Sounds deeply defeatist and not at all like Michael Bay.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Maybe it was a cunning plan to get away from Transformers at last to work on all those other things he's passionate about. Make a movie that is a stinker at the box office and perhaps Paramount will stop pestering him to make another one.

• Like Like x 3
  9. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They also gave him that stupid "We were brothers once" line at the end.

I just imagine Prime thinking: "Don't pull that BS on me...that's MY JOB!!"

10. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the "We were brothers once." line fitted Megatron he appears to be going through a sympathetic phase.
    "What anyone wants human. To go home."
    Him finally letting that out to Optimus might have let out some repressed emotions and help him on his recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    Honestly at least some of the film would have been better if the focused less on the Arthur myth stuff and more on the TFs being in WWII.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    It seems like for every step forward, this film took a step back

-There’s Megatron. He’s hyped up so much, and after an entire decade, they finally had Frank Welker voice him. But in the film, he’s still second fiddle, underused, and is relegated to being an errand boy
    -Despite reusing character models, the Decepticons have their own distinct designs and personalities. Yet, 10 minutes after they’re introduced, all of them, except one, are killed. Nitro is, of course, later killed in the third act.
    -Nemesis Prime makes his film debut. This alone should have been pretty badass and is mostly what caused me to gain interest in this movie. Well, him and Megatron. However, Nemesis is severely underused, and is thrown to the side after the whole “I am your friend!” schtick with Bee
    -Speaking of Bee, the fight between him and Nemesis in the trailers looked intense and amazing as Nemesis literally pulled Bee apart piece by piece. However, early in the movie, it is revealed that Bee has this new ability to pull himself back together. This makes the fight between him and Nemesis seem rather pointless as there’s really no consequences.
    -The Transformers having a deeper connection to earth seemed like a cool concept...until it basically broke whatever continuity there was. It’s revealed that the Autobots and even Decepticons participated in certain events during history (i.e Bee and Hot Rod fought in WWII) yet in the first film, it’s made to seem like the Transformers had never been on earth, with the exception of Megatron, until the events of the first film started. This also begs the question that, since the Transformers participated in important events on earth, why didn’t anybody know about them and how were they even kept a secret? This also begs another question, if Bee and Hot Rod were here about 60 years before the events of the first film, then why did they leave?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Great Genesic Rayserver

Great Genesic Rayserver Well-Known Member

Seriously, why even have BB as a prominent cast member if he gets HIS OWN MOVIE, instead of giving one of the other 'bots some spotlight, Hot Rod could be a good replacement, but nooooo, we need more funny radio car that go pee pee.

14. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

The Last Knight is a strange beast.

On one hand, I don't think the general, all-around quality is that different from some of the other films. Some might be comparatively better, but I don't think the quality difference between the films is as great as many make it out to be.

On the other hand, just like Revenge of the Fallen is the king of geographic continuity errors, so too is The Last Knight the king of continuity issues and differences between acts. The other films felt like the bits were parts of single narratives, side plots and all. TLK feels like not everything is part of the same narrative. Furthermore, it seemingly ignores or minimizes or even contradicts plot threads from the previous film.

I think The Last Knight is one of those things where the film makers wrongly concluded that the previous four films were not what people wanted due to the endless negative backlash from critics and fans, when they should have looked at the previous four films as the huge financial successes they were. Had it been a little more connected to the fourth film, which was a huge international success, audiences in China and other developing nations would have been more receptive, and if the characters from the first three films that returned in this one - Lennox, Simmons, Barricade, and Wheelie - had actually been given actual reasons for being back besides being just Easter eggs and nostalgia perhaps more fans of the first three films would have been more receptive to it. Instead, they pissed off fans of the last film by abandoning many threads and concepts, minimized the roles of characters from the last film, didn't really please fans of the OT by bringing back old characters, and injected a bunch of brand new things that didn't need to be there. They tried too hard to please everyone and ended up pleasing Bayverse fans of all types much less in the process.

Frankly, I give major credit to all of the first four films for picking what they are and running with it. The Last Knight simply wanted to be too many things to too many people.

• Like Like x 3
  15. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

i forgot about that....nemesis prime was teased as the big, unstoppable baddie yet he was a complete afterthought...& i agree the fight between him & bee was very underwhelming & the voice "im your friend" scene...bottom 5 scene in the entire film series (sting like a bee is in that category as well) starscream's death is still #1 but wow these moments were damn close!

nemesis prime was utterly useless...sentinel prime would have wrecked him (again)

• Like Like x 2
  16. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Franchise fratigue. The plot of Transformers: The Last Knight does make some effort to stand out from the last five movies, but it does too little, too late. By this point, even fans of the Transformers movies are a little tired of the same old formula. This is coming from someone who did like TLK, mind you, so maybe I'm not the right person to provide answers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Screen Junkies at it again.

18. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    This is a conspiracy theory I can believe. Bay didn't even want to work on the 4th or 5th films. He needed to return to get funding from Paramount for his smaller projects.

19. theswimmer06

theswimmer06 Well-Known Member

all of the posts above is mostly the result of throwing ehren kruger out without second thought and ,with that, the story arc.

With AOE's cliffhanger, production could have an abundance of plot ideas and somehow, for some reason, they went with this one..........

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cade was great in AoE, but a total waste in TLK.