Where did the term “Geewunn” Evolve From?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prescient, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am not quite sure what you were trying to say in your post but I guess I misread it lol.

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Dude, "hate" is a very strong term to use on people who enjoy a different aspect of Transformers to you.

3. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Could have predicted this thread would eventually turn into this steaming pile of doo a long time ago!!

4. ManiactoaLaco

ManiactoaLaco Well-Known Member

I quoted an earlier post of mine thier and forgot the quote tags. Oopsies.

But anyway, I a little mad I had to come back here. I thought I told you all I didn't want to be in this thread anymore, but, not even mighty Optimus Sledge seams to have seen that part of my post.

Okay, as I said before, in my first post on this thread, I listed some traits that the term Geewunner MEANS when you call someone that.

When I say I HATE, I'm meaning I hate people who act like that. I'm not saying G1 sucks. In fact, I enjoy lots of the G1 cartoon and the comics.

But, It looks like I've come off like I hate G1. Now, if people PAYEED CLOSE ATTENTION to what I wrote, yoou would see what I mean't.

But, I guess I wasn''t to clear on that, so I'm sorry about that. But some people forgot, it seams, what the topic starter asked. He asked what Geewunner MEAN'T, and were it came from. I answered one of those, and said I didn't know were it came from.

However, answering his question seams to have angered some people with how I worded it. Sorry, again.

That seamed to set some sparks off. Im again, sorry.

For the last time however, I said I hate people who act like I described the term.

I didn't say I hate G1. Without G1, there would be no Transformers. That's a good enough reason to enjoy it. For those who grew up with G1, it's more than that. I didn't grow up with G1, so im not quite sure what exaclty it was like, but I have a general idea.

Now, I said I didn't want to in this thread anymore, as I thought I cleared everything up last time. But it seams I wasn't very clear. Sorry.

Now for the very last time, I don't wanna be in this thread anymore. We have Nerd rages all over the place.

READ MY FIRST POST. THE EXAMPLES THERE ARE WHAT THE TERM GEEWUNN MEANS WHEN YOU SAY IT TO SOMEONE. IF YOU READ WHAT I WROTE IN LATER POSTS, YOU'LL SEE I SAID THAT I HATE PEOPLE WHO ACT LIKE THAT. I DON'T HATE G1, I DON'T PEOPLE WHO DO LIKE G1. I HATE PEOPLE WHO ACT LIKE I DESCRIBED. GET THAT IN ALL YOUR HEADS PEOPLE!!!!!

MTL

5. Optimus Sledge

Unless I've missed something, you're in no position to dictate what people can and can't quote.

And seriously, either you don't know what the word "hate" means or you need to lay off the caffeine.

6. ManiactoaLaco

Well, most of the time someone quotes my posts, they go one about how I said something bad. Which is annoying.I don't want to be in this thread anymore. This discussion is becoming a flame war of Nerd rages.

And I'm not gonna even go into what a word means.

And seriously, did you read my full post? I said that I hated people who acted like whow I described in my first post in this thread. Go back a couple pages and read my first post. If you read that post, Im sure that you wouldn't want to have a beer with a person like that.

Now, I've apologized and explained what I mean't on my post before this one. I'm pretty sure I've gotten my idea's through.

Now, I fairly certain we've gone off topic, are spamming and flamming. Perhaps this thread has ran its course.

I'm really hoping it get's closed.

MTL

7. Optimus Sledge

I'm making the point that it's a little OTT to "hate" someone for the behaviour you describe. Hell, it's pretty stupid to "hate" someone you only know from the internet.

8. ManiactoaLaco

Well, it is a little stupid how many people are on a website about transforming toys. :) 

Oh and I understand that "hate" may be a little over the top. Maybe, dislike? I get your point, but my point is I don't like them. Isn't better when everyone gets along?

MTL

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  9. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

It's only become particularly insulting since it's been used almost exclusively in conjunction with terms like whiny, crybaby, loser, get a life, suck it up, grow up, etc, etc... and usually, as Autobus points out, at the drop of a hat, as a way of dismissing/pissing off someone who disagrees with something (anything, really) about a "newer" TF show/movie/toy.

I understand that it's originally meant to refer to that special kind of fan who insists that everything done after 1990 is utter garbage, and is incapable of an objective assessment. However, since it's inception, it's basically become flamebait.

That's part of the reason I've started taking it back. If I jokingly refer to myself as a "GeeWunner" sometimes, it kind of deflates and disarms such attacks.

And honestly, I AM sort of a GeeWunner. New TF toys are awesome, and I very much enjoy Animated... but in my heart of hearts, I think I'm basically incapable of forming any kind of attachment to characters that weren't originally created by Bob Budiansky. I would never read Animated or BeastWars comics, I only kitbash G1 characters, and I like to pretend that even Season 3 never happened. That's just where my nostalgic heartstrings are attached. :) 

I may not be a G1 psychopath, but I still sort of fit the profile. :D 

In regards to MTL comments, I have to say "hate" is a strong word... but some of that is in the eye of the beholder as well. I happen to "hate" sour cream donuts, chihuahuas, and people who do card tricks... but it doesn't really mean anything.

Plus, the type of "Geewunner" that MTL is talking about is more of a platonic abstract of G1 psychosis... people "like that" would drive me frickin' crazy, if I actually had to deal with them... but you really don't run into them that often, and they're easy to ignore.

zmog

10. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

MTL:

Yes!

Folks:

I think people should stop jumping on MTL. What he means is that he doesn't like it when people do certain things. Many of these are things that all of us can agree on, or agree to disagree on.

We may all like different things, but none of us like being negatively stereotyped...whether it's "Anibabies", "Geewunners", "weaboos", or what-have-you. If we don't like one used at us, don't use others at other people. This doesn't guarantee nobody will call you a Bedubbyer or a
    ArEyeDeeOr, but the only actions we have any control over are our own.

I also admire MTL for doing something I have rarely seen online. He examined his own ideas and concluded that this Geewun term was indeed too broad. I think we can all applaud that. If we all took a look at our own ideas in this way, this world would be a much more peaceful place!

11. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I'm closing this piece of fanboy, neckbearded, mouthbreathing garbage up right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.