Customs: where are good places to find customizing materials

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by blur3479, Aug 13, 2011.

1. blur3479

blur3479 The most boring member

News Credits:
    like….
    air brushes
    paint(all kinds)
    dremels(sorry about the bad spelling)
    and any other stuff

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Dremels can be found at Walmart, or any retail store with an actual hardware section/department.

Everything else can be found at Michael's or AC Moore, although I'm unsure about the airbrush quality. You might want to ask the likes of Frenzy_Rumble for help on airbrush recommendations.

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Air Brushes - You can get decent ones at Hobby Lobby or HobbytownUSA. I'd check with encline, frenzyrumble, or a few others before jumping the gun on purchasing one. They know their stuff on airbrushes, so do some research before buying something random.

You can also check here--I've ordered from them numerous times and they have a nice selection of stuff: Airbrushes

Paint - I usually go for Acrylic, but I also buy Enamels. I get them at HobbytownUSA, HobbyLobby, Michael's, and online here: Hobby and Model Paint

Dremels - You can find these at Target, Wal-Mart, or Home Depot. I bought a Dremel Stylus a few years back on sale at Target to replace my old Dremel 2 speed (had it and used it for years on various projects and video game console modding). They make various types, so do some research on these also. My Dremel Stylus works great for what I use it on (cutting, sanding, grinding, drilling on small heads and parts), but you may find another that suits your needs better. Earlier this year, I hit the Dremel site after seeing a commercial on TV. They were offering a FREE DVD on their products and it also included some small projects to show how the Dremel products could be used. Pretty cool stuff, especially given that it was a freebie, simply by hitting their site and giving your address.

As far as Dremel bits, I'm sure most would recommend Cut-Off Wheels, Heavy Duty Cut-Off Wheels, drill bits, sanding/grinding bits, and a few others, but if you plan to do some major cutting, be it plastic or die-cast metal, pick up the Diamond Wheel (thanks to NemesisPredaking for sharing his experience with these). These wheels are virtually indestructible and last MUCH longer than the typical Cut-Off Wheels, which tend to shatter if you angle your cut by smallest bit. Personally, I don't own a Diamond Wheel yet, but I've had the other Cut-Off Wheels last quite a while. As long as you're careful and keep your cuts straight, it shouldn't shatter (at least not right away). Over time, they will become thinner and worn and usually do break or shatter then. As of now, I can have one last a good 2-3 months before shattering and needing a replacement (I have small tubes of them). But I have had those rare instances where I cut a few small things and it just catches it wrong and breaks them. My suggestion is to stay low on the cut--if cutting off a part, start at the lower point (if you're right handed). The wheel spins clockwise, so if you stay under the part and let the wheel slowly cut its way through, it shouldn't shatter. If you move the wheel up toward the middle of the part, it will usually start to give you problems. You'll feel the force of the wheel spinning against the part and it an begin to jump or skip some. Same goes for cutting from the top--the wheel will want to grab and shoot the part out of your hand, rather than cutting through it.

Think of it like a table saw--if you slide a 2x4 piece of wood into the saw blade against the "teeth" or as the blade is coming down in it, it will tear up the piece of wood and try to throw it. If you slide the wood into the saw blade on the rounded edges of the blade (and you'll notice it start cutting from the bottom), it will slowly cut a nice line through your piece. (hope that makes sense)

Other Kitbashing Tools - I'd recommend buying some safety goggles, nitrile gloves, a metal ruler, pencils, sharpies, styrene (if you plan to try or use any), hobby knife (or X-Acto knives--same thing), a self-healing cutting mat, sandpaper (various), small paint brushes, clamps (if needed--usually use those with styrene to help hold pieces together while gluing), and super glue (I use Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel usually, but you can get whatever you'd like to use or whatever works best for you).

Now keep in mind, you don't need all of this stuff. But the serious items I would definitely suggest you get are the safety goggles, nitrile gloves, hobby knife, and cutting mat. From there, you can pick up other items as you go along. Those are the main things you'll constantly need or use, besides a Dremel or paints. You can also brush paint your work (with thin coats) or even use spray paints (such as Krylon Fusion, Testors, etc.).

4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Micromark.com has alot of supplies all in one place.

Randy!