Customs: when you repaint, how often afterwards do you ususally transform them?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ckhtiger, Nov 6, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I got to thinking about this after completing my seeker set, and thinking to myself that I was just making character statues, since I don't want any of the paint to rub/scrape off. I usually take pics in alt mode, transform to bot mode, do touch up work, take pics in bot mode, and then stick them on a shelf, probably never to be transformed again, which is kinda sad. anyone else do the same thing, or is there a way around this? I know some people file down joints so that they don't rub, but I am NOT going to go that far.

2. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Are you kidding? You're missing out on one of the greatest pleasures of making a custom!

My customs are my most heavily trafficed toys...

Now, grant it, I'm careful with them...and I did take the extra steps of filing down joints...but as you can tell its well worth it. Why not spend an extra few minutes taking the toy apart and filing down the joints so that you can enjoy it far longer in the future without the worry? (Hence the confusion and shock to here that SOME kitbashers don't even take the toy apart in the first place!)

If you are really worried about joints...one thing I recommend is dying joints. For example, when i kitbashed Alternators Optimus Prime into Armada Megatron...I dyed the blue joint bits purple...and then painted on top of it. That way if I did scrape the piece, it wasn't immediately noticeable (and in all honesty, I could have just left them dyed and unpainted)

Dying is really quite easy...its just a messy cleanup.

3. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

After repainting Bonecrusher I still transform and poss him in bot/alt mode every few weeks,same with my other repaints.

Though I do have some that I don't transform due to crappy alt mode.

As for the joints,you can file them,shave them,put liquid superglue on them.

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

that's the other thing. I was going to start some dying, but then heard horror stories about melting/warping plastic or it bubbling, and got scared away from that stuff.

5. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    When your a kitbasher, you can't fear anything! I know, before I got into the hobby, I said to myself that these people are crazy...taking $20 toys and taking them apart...and I made a few mistakes in the beginning...ended up with some junk parts-bots...but its all about learning.

Honestly, all my mistakes are made with painting now...and the hassle of removing the paint, sanding, and re-applying.

You should look into dying...I haven't had one horror story yet. The only thing thats nerve-racking is what if you spill that pot? Cause then your floor is gonna be dyed! (Never happened) The only other concern I had at first is how to dispose of the used dye...but then I just dumped it down the sink after it cooled off.

All I do is buy the liquid R.I.T. dye at Walmart, dump the bottle into a pot with an equal amount of water (amount based on the part/piece/toy's size) and add some salt. Bring the solution to a boil, and then set the stove to simmer.

I grab a chinese food bowl...the kind Won-ton soup comes in, and fill it with cold water. Using a pair of pliers, I grab the piece from an inconspicuous spot, and submerge it into the solution for about a minute. (Timing will depend on what color your trying to achieve) Take the part, submerge it in the cool water, and let it cool off. Repeat the process as needed...until you get the color you desire. Make sure you have plenty of paper towels between you and the sink...and then just wash the piece with soap and water...and enjoy!

Just don't heat the part up too much...and make sure it doesn't touch the bottom of the pot.

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I always try to dye joints before anything else :)  sure I've messed up a few parts here and there, but not very often, it gets easier with time of course!

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lolol 

Honestly, I don't transform my customs that often. However, there are a lot of other factory Transformers I don't transform that often either. It has more to do with that I don't any of my toys to be really "worn out."

I'm not afraid to transform my customs, but I am careful when I do. I'm just careful in general with most all of my toys though.

Something worth mentioning too is that there is this idea that customs =/= Hasbro/TakaraTomy products. IMO that's just not true. I've bought several toys from a toy factory that have had paint chips, paint rubbed off, etc.

Most of you guys know that I use paintbrushes almost exclusively (no sprays, no dyes, etc). Squall already mentioned sanding, and I'd say that wet sanding and coating pieces well is my way around my work being durable.

I hope that helps buddy :) 

8. cuters

cuters Diabolist

once a day carefully.

9. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I transform mine quite often too, but I take the time in the prep stage to make sure I can do so with minimal damage. So I file joints down, scuff-sand surfaces, and prime the plastic (unless I'm using Krylon), let the paint cure a few days then clear-coat it with lacquer, and let that cure a week before assembling/transforming. All the extra work has paid off for me.

10. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

My customs pretty much get the same traffic and handling as my regular guys, though I probably am more careful with them initially. After a while though, they integrate in and become 'one of the gang', and are then just treated normally, as if they were always there. Just the way I like it :) .

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You know, I think you said on a dual level what I perhaps meagerly attempted to say: for my Alts/BTs, there is little - no difference for me for what I got(get?) from the factories and my own work. I want to say that with humility for my own work, but at the same time on a value level that's a multifaceted message for both my factory-made toys as well as my custom-made toys.

Also, the way I handle my things is an expression of my appreciation of what I've been blessed with. It always has been and always will be :) 

12. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    My customs, and those I have purchased, get the same treatment as my "regular Alts".....I may grab one every so often and transform it...and then transform it back, I'm just a tad more careful with the customs is all....but most of the time, they all sit in my display case in the Alt mode I like the best....some in vehicle mode, the others in bot mode.

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    ...or you can leave the acrylics for the old ladys doing crafts, and get some grown-up grade enamels. Prep/prime the plastic correctly, paint with enamel, then finish coat your paint job, and that paint isn't moving.

14. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I use both and I can't tell a difference.

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Redline, when using enamels...do you primer and use thing coats, permitting each coat to dry throroghly? I'm able to put very hard traffic on joints and panels that rub, and it stands up. I'm usually using

krylon primer (usually fusion)
    testors enamels
    testors finishing spray/brush on

16. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I use acrylics for details and the roof on my Bumblebee custom.

It seems pretty strong, I use several thin coats.

17. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I rarely transform mine but always take the steps to make sure they turn out right. Everything comes apart as much as I can get it down to. The only problem I ever has was Alt Rumble's dashboard and doors. Those stupid things are still unpainted because I couldn't get them apart.

Otherwise it's bare bones. I sometimes sand but not often. One figure I didn't sand enough because I had to put on more layers than anticipated. Stupid Alt Motormaster.

As for time to dry and transform. I wait a day usually. Enough time to dry and sit.

18. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

Yes dying joints is the best then they can TF all day

19. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
  20. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Word, my friend. Alt/BT customs represent, too! XD