When you recognize a TF voice comming out of a Non-TF character

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, May 18, 2017.

1. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Love when this kind of thing happens.

2. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Yup, totally forgot about rat king till you mentioned it but has the same reaction where he was just Ratchet with a weird rat obsession for some reason. Though in the Splinter dream sequences where he hears the Ratking inside his head, that voice is a bit distorted so I didn't recognize it right away till I heard him actually talk not in Splinter's mind without the distortion effect. I could still tell it was familiar but wasn't entirely sure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mirimus

Mirimus Well-Known Member

By the time the Sunbow cartoon made it's debut, I'd already started picking up on both Peter Cullen's and Frank Welker's voices in other shows (though I had no idea until years later that Welker was Dr. Claw, and that he used that voice for Soundwave). But because of the impression the TF show had left on me, everything that came after was a bit disheartening. For example: my younger cousin was really into TMNT, and back in '89/'90 I had to endure many a VHS tape of the cartoon when I'd babysit. I heard Cullen's voice coming out of some nameless thug in one of the episodes, and I remember thinking how sad that he had to go from freakin' Optimus Prime to a nobody in TMNT. Obviously, I know now that a voice actor's gotta pay the bills like everybody else :D 

• Like Like x 1
  4. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I think my favorite TF voice in a non-TF role was Gary Chalk as Man at Arms in the Mike Young Productions revamp of Masters of the Universe. His voice fit that role perfectly.

5. Automaster

Automaster Eye Heart TF's!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Occasionally Prime Bulkhead's voice actor shows up in the Lion Guard as a daddy hippo. :)  I've always loved it when I heard a familiar voice and was able to trace it back to TF. For the loooongest time I watched Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers so I could hear Peter Cullen's voice. I missed him so bad after Transformers.

6. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

I definitely recognized Casey Kasem as Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Though I was introduced to Scooby Doo first so when Bluestreak surfed past the Autobots yelling "Gangway!", all I heard was Shaggy.

I once recognized Peter Cullen's voice for some Cobra soldiers which isn't surprising since GI Joe and Transformers shared many actors. The most notable being Starscream's original voice actor being the same one for Cobra Commander.

I can recognize Jeff Bennett in many roles... sadly even as one of the villains in, ugh, Foodfight. You wouldn't believe how much I had to worked in order to spate Prowl's voice from that horrible film.

Tara Strong, Steve Blum, Tom Kenny, and Kevin Michael Richardson isn't really to hard to find. In fact, in Injustice 2, the instant I heard Green Lantern speak I was like "Hey there Starscream and Heatwave!"

I recognized Troy Baker, the voice of Steeljaw, as the voice of Rhys in "Tales from the Borderlands." It was both kind of weird and amusing to hear Steeljaw's voice managing to make very girlish screams during the moments Rhys freaks out.

I have to admit, it was pretty funny when I recognized Brainiac in Injustice 2 as TF Prime Ratchet. It actually took me a bit to figure it out because I knew I had heard his voice before. I watched the cutscenes, unsure where I heard the voice till suddenly Ratchet's "Bulkhead, I needed that!" randomly popped into my mind. I instantly gasped and stared at the screen with wide eyes as I muttered "That's Ratchet from Prime."

Finally there was the voice actor for Bulkhead in Animated. You wouldn't believe how much my brother laughs at the fact that I can recognize the voice coming from that dumb starfish. Because of that fact, it often prompt my brother when he sees Bulkhead in clips from Transformers Animated to say "Hey look, there's Patrick Star again!"

7. SaberPrime

Which Green Lantern? I know they have John Stewart in the game as well as Hal Jordon. I only heard Hal's voice and didn't even realize that was Steve Blum.

I do often notice that Bumblebee's voice but I knew him from his other roles before he was Bumblebee and he sounds more like Terry Mcguinis than anyone else.

And of course every time Animated Bulkhead talks all I hear is Patrick Star. Took me a while to notice Sponge Bob in Starscream and Waspinator though. It was only after I knew it was Tom Kenny that I noticed the similarities between the voices.

Prime Bulkhead is an odd one because I always know it's him but for some reason his voice just seems to fit every character he's played so I just accept it as a different character.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

That would be Hal Jordan that's voiced by Steve Blum. Jon Stewart voiced Phil La Marr who voiced Samuari Jack and, to be Transformers related, was the voice of Jazz in Animated.

9. MastaBlasta

MastaBlasta Repaints Galore

I played Lego Marvel superheros a long time ago, and I could have sworn the Voice actor for Prime Ratchet voiced one of the random NY peds. Also everytime I see frank Welker in anything...

10. Venixion

Venixion So-Cal Girl

News Credits:
    Arcee's Sue Blue was Paradise and Plooma in My Little Pony and Friends, Stormer in Jem and the Holograms and Lady Jaye in GI Joe.

The guy who voiced Ratchet is Papa Smurf.

Rob Paulsen is Pinky from Animaniacs. Plus he's just freakin legendary.

Charlie Adler is Spike from My Little Pony and Friends, Buster Bunny from Tiny Toons and Ickus from Ahh! Real Monsters.

I'm pretty sure the guy who voiced Prime Bulkhead, also voiced Gantu from Lilo and Stitch and Skulker from Danny Phantom.

Goes without saying that Frank Welker and Peter Cullen are legends everywhere.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  11. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Page D'Ecriture Spy Cousin Jeice

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Or the fact that he holds the Title as the Original voice for Mario.

Considering Mario like Optimus Prime is Red & Blue makes it more Amazing.

12. Veleno

Veleno Cannon Fodder

Sometimes I can hear a small hint of FoC Metroplex in Soldier 76's voice.

13. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    Yeah i have this with the voice actor for Rescuebot Boulder Imari Williams. i know i keep hearing that voice in program advertisings on Fox and A&E and in TV ads.

14. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

I tend not to notice for the most part, because many voice actors change their voice enough that I don't immediately recognize them. And, I'm happy about that, because if I do recognize someone's voice, I get distracted, trying to remember from where I recognize the voice.

With one exception.

Dan Gilvezan.

Dan Gilvezan (voice of G1 Bumblebee) is a voice I actually really enjoy recognizing, because he has been in so many things, as both a voice actor and an actor, and many times, he doesn't change his voice at all. Which is probably why I don't mind hearing him, because it is so easy to recognize it, so I don't have to search for it. Spidey and His Amazing Friends? Yep, that's Dan Gilvezan. That announcer or DJ on some random sitcom? Yep, Dan Gilvezan.

I get a little joy whenever I hear him.

15. Ninjanicktf

Ninjanicktf She's a killer, queen

I remember thinking it was really cool when 2012 Rar King sounded like Prime Ratchet.

16. SaberPrime

Totally agree. I actually had that problem watching Arrow a while back. There was a character on the show and I recognized his voice but being a live action series I kept trying to figure out where I had SEEN him before. His face wasn't familiar at all and it didn't occur to me right away that the reason I couldn't place his face was because I had never actually seen it before. I often recognize voices before I remember faces anyway so that's another reason I thought I had seen him before. It wasn't till I saw his name in the credits that I realized why his voice was so familiar.

The character in Arrow I'm referring to is General J.G. Walker. He was only in three episodes. It wasn't till the last episode he was in that I finally saw the name of the actor in the credits... Garry Chalk, then it finally hit me that the reason I recognized his voice was because of Optimus Primal in Beast Wars and Beast Machines. (Technically the Unicron Trilogy Optimus Prime was the same voice but that was distorted so it sounded like he was talking into a tin can. Plus I've only watched it once as apposed to the multiple times I've watched the Beast Era shows so I wouldn't really recognize them as much despite being more recent.)

I think it's even weirder when you recognize voice actors from live action roles. Not so much when the actor is more well known for his or her live action work because then they're usually cast because they want the character to sound like that actor. But when they actor is more known for voice over work and you rarely ever see his or her face then they're always that moment of shock when you recognize the voice while seeing the person's face for the first time.

I don't think I could ever do that with someone like Scott McNeil. I only recognize him because I've seen interviews with him on YouTube. If I didn't already know what he looked like I never would of recognized him in shows like Ninja Turtles Next Mutation or Psych. Though if you're really familiar with all the parts he's played you might notice similarities between certain characters like I know the voice he used for Dinobot, there's other slight variations of it in other shows he's done. Though that's the only one I've really noticed him using for other characters outside of Transformers. Otherwise he's typically a vocal chameleon.

17. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Here's a few of my favorites:
    • Dub!Viral (Gurren Lagann) and WFC/FOC Starscream are both voiced by Sam Riegel.
    • Steve Blum's Starscream voice is almost identical to his Green Goblin voice from Spectacular Spider-Man. He's also Guilmon from Digimon Tamers, Spike from Cowboy Bebop, Wolverine, and Leeron from the dub of Gurren Lagann.
    • Jeffrey Combs uses his natural voice for both Ratchet and the Question in JLU.
    • Bill Fagerbakke is Patrick from Spongebob in addition to Bulkhead. LEEDLE LEEDLE LEEDLE LEE!
    • Tom Kenny's Starscream voice is like a more evil version of his Ice King voice from Adventure Time. Also, he is, of course, Spongebob.
    • Jim Cummings (RID Clampdown and Thermidor) is, like, a billion different Disney characters.
    • Josh Keaton (Jack) is also Spider-Man in Spectacular Spider-Man and Shiro in Voltron.
    • Troy Baker (RID Steeljaw) is Excalibur in Soul Eate- FOOL! My legend dates back to the twelfth century...
    • Nolan North (Prime Smokescreen) is Superboy in Young Justice and, of course, Deadpool.
    • Will Friedle (Prime/RID Bumblebee) was Lion-O in the Thundercats reboot, Ron Stoppable, and Terry McGinnis in Batman Beyond.
    • Khary Peyton (RID 2015 Grimlock and biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisk) is, of course, Cyborg in Teen Titans. Also Aqualad in Young Justice.
    • In the video game for the first TF movie, Barricade was voiced by Keith friggin' David, also known as Goliath from Gargoyles or the Arbiter from Halo.
    • Jess Harnell, the voice of Ironhide and Barricade in the movies, is Wakko in Animaniacs. Seriously.
    • Clancy Brown (Silas) was Lex Luthor in the DCAU and Mr. Krabbs in Spongebob.
    • Sandy Fox (T-AI) was Courtney in Pokemon Generations.
    • Eddie Deezen (Ped) is Mandark. A-HAHA! A-HAHA-HAHA!

18. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Back in the day all cartoons I watched (that were not dubbed) were voiced by Frank Welker (I seriously cant understand how he didnt have a mental breakdown by talking to himself in different voices) so it kinda was a thing to expect really.

19. SaberPrime

Which Voltron? The original 80's cartoon or the new series that's on Netflix?

Also funny thing about Deadpool... in Predacons Rising there were actually THREE Deadpools in there. Will Friedle played Deadpool in the Ultimate Spider-man. I hate that series but the Deadpool episode was actually really good. He even hijacked the title turning it into the Ultimate Deadpool. Steve Blum voiced Wade Wilson in the X-Men Origins Wolverine video game... now we just need to make a video game based on the good Deadpool movie since he's apparently really good at impersonating Ryan Reynolds voice. (Note: I never actually played that video game I just noticed it listed on his IMDB page.) And of course Nolan North who plays Deadpool in most everything else. There's also two other Deadpool voice actors, one who has never been in Transformers and the other being from the Super Hero Squad series for little kids where Deadpool is voiced by Tom Kenny.

If you count characters rather than voice actors then there were technically five Deadpools since Steve and Nolan were each playing two characters. Starscream and Darksteel for Blum. Smokescreen and Skylynx for North.

I think it would be funny if SG Drift who is basically Deadpool went hoping between different universes killing all the characters who have been voiced by a Deadpool actor.

20. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

The new one. Josh Keaton didn't start voice acting until the 90's.