When you recognize a TF voice comming out of a Non-TF character

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, May 18, 2017.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I recently watched the cut scenes from Injustice 2 and when I heard Brainiac's voice I immediately recognized the voice as Prime Ratchet. The whole time I kept picturing like either a SG version of Ratchet or him for some reason joining the Decepticons cause I just could not associate that voice with Brainiac.

The funny thing is I just looked up the actor who plays the Brainiac I'm more use to hearing and he's also a Transformers voice actor. However Corey Burton has a wider vocal range so I don't hear him as Shockwave or Megatron, I just hear Brainiac. Jeffrey Combs on the other hand is just talking in his normal voice for both characters so now even when he isn't playing that character every time I hear his voice all I can think is Ratchet.

So how do you react when you're able to recognize the voice actor as a Transformer. Do you start making up your own head cannon so that the Transformer makes sense with the actions of this other character or do you easily accept that it's a totally different character who just happens to have the same voice?

2. AMG

AMG Old School

While playing Diablo 3, every time Zoltun Kulle talks I can't help but think of TFP Starscream.

It makes me smile.

This option.

• Like Like x 1
  3. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Let's see. Off the top of my head...

When I first saw Jeff Kombs outside of TFP, I kept hearing Ratchet. Every subsequent show, I hear whatever prior role I saw him in.

For a time, I recognized Kevin Micheal Richardson and Steve Blum as TFP Bulkhead and Screamer, respectively. Now I've heard them in so many roles, especially minor roles, I just hear Kevin Micheal Richardson and Steve Blum, rather than any specific characters.

Was trying to place where I heard Young Justice's Red Tornado for a while, before realizing it was Jeff Bennett and I was recognizing his voice from TFA Prowl.

Later in Young Justice, I was sure I'd heard Impulse's voice before but couldn't place it before looking him up and finding out he voices Kade in Rescue Bots.

For those last two, it was easy for me to forget that they sound like TF characters.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  4. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Yeah playing Injustice 2 when I heard Brainiac speak all I heard was Ratchet... And it made me look up who voiced him only to find out it was Jeffery Combs, awesome.

5. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

The 90s were a trippy time to have Scott McNeil, Garry Chalk, Jim Byrnes, Blu Mankuma, and most of the rest of the BW cast in every single cartoon.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i don't think it's happened with any tf voice actors, but when a one off community character showed up voiced by justin roiland, all i could hear was morty...

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

"The Neosapien fleet is attacking"
    Thanks for the warning, Optimus!

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    In more recent years, I know the voice actor before the Transformer role, so it's the other way for me. Especially Jeffrey Combs due to his many Star Trek roles.

And there's that. Even the '80's had a lot of the same voice actors as well, though not quite so set.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ron8675309

True. I sort of noticed it as a kid, but now as an adult it's really fun to go back and play Spot Susan Blu while watching old cartoons. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM I'm a Colossal boi

News Credits:
    Whenever I watch the English DBZ dub, all I can hear when I hear Goku is "CHEETOR, MAXIMISE!!!!!"

11. Jazzfan0217

Jazzfan0217 Resident couch potato

When I first saw the episode of Knight Rider that introduced K.A.R.R I hadn't known at the time it was Peter Cullen doing the voicing and I was totally like woah that's Prime! :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  12. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    If i'm gonna be honest, he was Generic as Brainiac. Even with the Effects. Should've gone with the Voice from the Lines are Redrawn.

But on topic. I say Jason Marnocha (CW Megatron) on The World's Strongest from TeamFourStar as Dr. Wheelo.

13. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Scott McNeil was Protoman in the Mega Man cartoon, Duo Maxwell in Gundam Wing, and Koga in Inuyasha as pretty much the same voice. I know he tried to make it different as Rattrap but it sounded the same.

I always thought it was funny to hear Papa Smurf come out of G1 Ratchet, Scavenger, and Gears with Don Messick. He was the original voice of Scooby-Doo and Boo-Boo Bear too.

David Kaye's voice is very discernable. His Beast Wars/Unicron Trilogy Megatron can be heard a bit (with variance) in Sesshomaru in Inuyasha, Treize Khushrenada in Gundam Wing, and Professor Xavier in X-men Evolution.

Steve Blum's voice is used all over. Besides Heatwave and Starscream, he's Spike Speigel in Cowboy Bebop, Roger Smith in BIG O! (SHOWWWWTIMEEE!), and has been the current animated Wolverine.

My wife watches Discovery Kids with my daughter (Pound Puppies, My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, Rescue Bots, etc) and we get a kick out of picking out voices in those cartoons too. Gotta love that Discord in MLP is FREAKING Q from Star Trek TNG!

• Like Like x 1
  14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    learning Peter Cullen Voiced Venger in the D&D cartoon was a mindtrip.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sky-Byte

Sky-Byte Armada Fan

I've noticed Skyfire aka Gregg Berger in Lighting Returns.

It's happened in reverse too. His Long Haul in Transformers: Devastation is basically Jecht from Final Fantasy X.

16. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Josh Keaton popped up in Hero Factory Brain Attack as Furno.

Oh, he voices Shiro in the new Voltron too, but with his normal voice.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jeffrey Combs gets around, I caught him as The Rat King on TMNT if I'm remembering correctly. Definitely someone on that show.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I can pick up bits of Peter Cullen's Optimus Prime in Eeyore, Tara Strong almost always has a very distinct voice, and I always remember this background kid with two lines in the first episode of Animated who had literally the exact same voice as the original Ben 10. Weird Al Yankovic and Casey Kasem are similar cases, too. I can also remember hearing a bit of Prime Bumblebee in will Friedle's Boy Meets World performance in the handful of episodes I've seen. Obviously, Frank Welker has an amazing range, and is almost unrecognizable in different roles most of the time. I was actually pretty surprised to learn that Don Messick, voice of Ratchet in G1, was also the original voice for Scooby Doo.
    However, the two actors who I can always recognize in a role as their Transformers characters are Steve Blum and Kevin Michael Richardson. The two just have very distinct voices, and nowadays I think of Starscream or Bulkhead whenever I hear their voices in other roles.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ron8675309

To me Bill Fagerbakke will always be my first reference for Bulkhead. And Steve Blum is one of those VA chameleons that I never recognize until the credits roll.

20. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tripped out when I saw Gary Chalk in Freddy vs Jason as the town sheriff & later in the Legendary Godzilla movie at the start.

Jim Byrnes in the Highlander series was cool too. Just a grizzled guy rocking out on his guitar.

• Like Like x 3