when you buy multiple of the same toy...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grimwing, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I'm not talking about repaints. I buy those anyway without grief.
    Recently I was at a store and they had the allspark power guys stockade, landmine and incinerator. I bought them all earlier this year but decided to buy them again since nothing else was out yet, and hasbro was'nt going to repaint these again. (see botcon display, also vehicle licenses end this year.)

The strange thing is I'm rather happy displaying two sets of these figures.
    How do you feel about this precedure and have you bought two of the same before?

2. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

The only TFs I ever concidered doing this with was the Superlink(Energon) Terrorcons just so Mega Zarak(Scorponok) would have a horde of them to command, however I stopped short and just got hold of all the repaints including the Japanese exclusive ones.

Other than 'troop building' with drone-like figures, or fior kitbash/fan repaint purposes I see no good reason to multi-buy the same figure. In fact I sorta take offence to it as with TF distribution as shockingly poor as it is you're probably depriving other fans of the figure by stockpiling them.

Yours AK

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

On occasion, if I see a toy I already have on clearance, I'll pick up a multiple.

Or very rarely, I like a toy so much I want a knock around version--last did this with Movie Landmine, and no regrets there.

But it's definitely the exception, not the rule.

4. Grimwing

News Credits:
    I just bought a extra set because they were shelfwarming, and I liked the figures the first time. But I see what you mean. Army builder figures are the best to do this with.

They were shelfwarming, and overstocked anyway.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

But...wouldn't drone figures still be just as poorly distributed?

If I thought figures were--but with the Movie line, distribution seems to have kicked ass. There's been complaints, sure, but it's an online fandom. There will ALWAYS be complaints. You can say he's depriving fans--but can't you also argue that his consumption of Hasbro product is supporting the brand which helps fans out down the road?

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I've got some "army builders" that I have multiples of. I've got several of each early Terrorcon, the first of each I picked up on their own, but later in the line when they were two-packed, I picked up a few duplicates of the earlier wave ones, and I stuck to only getting the twopacks that were both Terrorcons.

I've also got several Obsidians from BM, all but one of which I got for free from KB when they had buy one TF, get a basic free (or a penny). Then I later got one for free at OTFCC at one of the venders who was giving away what they had left via a trivia game.

Outside of that, I do have a second BWNeo Black Big Convoy that I picked up a few years ago cheap; just in the event that something broke, I wouldn't have to hunt down a (likely costly) replacement. I may do the same when Universe/Classics/25th Anniversary Cyclonus comes out if he's great enough.

7. alex_kingdom

Oh no, I wasnt accusing anyone of stockpiling figures that might have a better home with another fan. I was just pointing out that it can be fustrating, but that really isn't the fault of the consumer, if anything its the fault of Hasbro/the Toy store for not putting enough on the shelves to cope with demand. I don't resent anyone for buying muliples for their own use, that's their perogative.

I do however resent those who buy mulitples of popular figures in order to drive up demand and sell them on ebay at an overly inflated price, those sort of people are scum IMO.

Yours AK

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, that might be capitalism...but it's definitely lame.

9. Grimwing

News Credits:
    I remember when kb toy store used to be at the mall in my area. Brings back the memories. But yes indeed they encouraged army building it would seem. Their sales sort of slewed that way. Like buy 4 deluxes for $20 but all they have is universe sharticon. Or some other limited subset.

I agree as well. Those guys are bad slag. Thanks for the feedback.

10. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will buy some extras of figures. One to open and one to keep MISB. I display most of my MISB stuff and then have a few opened ones displayed around them as well.

11. alex_kingdom

As someone who has been priced out of attending many gigs/festivals by such 'capitalist', I concider them to be some of the lowest of the low.

Yours AK

12. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    My logic ...

I work 50 hours a week at a job I dislike.
    I go to the store and see something I want.
    I buy it.

I don't really care for putting any sort of ethical driven decision behind something like this. Life is hard enough as-is, no need to complicate it with simple decisions.

You have the money, you find something you like, you earned it, buy it.

13. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:
    I don't "army-build" with identical drones (with one exception), or buy duplicates for display, as it is costly. If I can't find what I want, I just wait, and enjoy some other facet of the hobby, or some other hobby, for a while (I did lots of this during the notorious Drought of '07, concentrating more on Exo-Force and my model-railroad hobby). It's important, I think, to avoid making acquisition too big a part of the hobby, because that hurts enjoyment in the long run.

However, I do pick up lots of $2 Spychangers for repaint and kitbash purposes, and I have a small army of Signal Flares. People kept cutting tape and mix-matching the $5 Walmart 2-fer packs, and since these invariably contained 1 Signal Flare, this left lots on the shelf. So now I have lots and lots of cheap maser tanks to fight my $5 Walmart Mechagodzilla KO (relatively speaking; it's a very small unit compared with some of the impressive Terrorcon hordes some fans amassed during Energon). I intend to repaint most of the duplicates when I obtain another Round Tuit. (We all have lots of things to do when we get a Round Tuit, no?)

But still, I can't repeat this enough - there should be more to any collecting hobby than acquisition. Kitbashing, painting, building dioramas, making comics, just playing and imagining...there must be something to keep you busy when the stores are empty, or eventually you'll get discontented with just Buying Stuff. We've seen it happen to too many fans. (and it really is an easy one to fall into, for any of us, with all this neat stuff coming out all the time...and any collecting hobby is probably just as susceptible. Those like ours, which started out collecting something no longer produced and hard to get, but which became well supported by manufacturers, particularly so, I'd bet.)

14. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

The Only Time I Get Multiples Are When They Are Giving To Me As Gifts

15. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I only buy singles of 90% of toys - the major exception is Classics, because it's my favourite line, I have one set open and one set sealed for display / posterity. The only other ones I have multiples of are MPs (same reason), and a couple of movie figures, just because really, hehe

16. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I buy multiples sometimes. What I don't like is that some fans believe they can dictate which figures are appropriate troop builders, and which are not. If I want to troop build Cybertron Leader Prime, it may be stupid, but it's my right to do so.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The only TFs I've bought multiples of was Classics, and that was to keep a set MIB.

18. permie

permie Well-Known Member

Right, no need to think or consider anything.

Good philosophy!

19. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I'd rather spend my energy on making decisions that have more importance. I enjoy the hobby for what it is, but it shouldn't be this difficult. They're plastic toys man.

A hobby is low on the priority list for me.

20. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if its one i REALY like i will get 2 of them one to play with alot and one to stand with the other toys