"When We Can't Dream Any Longer..."

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by DeltaSilver88, Jul 3, 2006.

1. DeltaSilver88

DeltaSilver88 The Goddess of Death

Author's Note: This is a very short fic about G1 Lightspeed. This is set after Season 4. It's sorta angsty and has some dark moods, so I'll warn you now.
    Disclaimer: Transformers belong to Hasbro and Takara.

"When We Can't Dream Any Longer..."

Lightspeed was alone, though many Autobots passed him on their way to their duties. He had never felt this empty. He heard nothing, he saw nothing... the other Technobots were.. gone.

The ambush by the Terrorcons had left the Technobots in a state of defencelessness. And Afterburner had been the first to go. Of course it had to be him; that hothead was always getting himself in trouble. This time the trouble was Cutthroat. Afterburner had tried to shoot the Terrorcon with his sonic pistol, but had missed... that was all that Cutthroat needed. He slashed at Afterburner with his claws, making him stumble backwards. Transforming to robot mode, he aimed his magnetizer rifle at his adversary and fired... Lightspeed reeled at the memory of seeing his brother tear himself apart.

Then it was Strafe's turn to get shot down by Rippersnapper's cyclone gun. The Technobot whirled around uncontrollably, until he crashed nose-first into the ground. Rippersnapper made his way towards the crashed plane when Lightspeed himself decided to intervene. He transformed into vehicle mode and speeded towards the Terrorcon, knocking him down. Then he executed a sharp turn and fired two missiles on him. Rippersnapper was too slow to evade.

A powerful stream of fire knocked Lightspeed around, and on his roof. His windshield and windows broke, injecting shards of glass into his armor, making him transform into robot mode in pain. As he had suspected, the shooter was Sinnertwin. But now Lightspeed didn't have the advantage of a faster alternate mode. The two-headed freak was gaining on him fast. As usual, the blasts of fire kept charring him and, after a few cycles, he was already smoking and blackened.

He had heard a scream of agony. He didn't want to see what had happened. He didn't... but he did. It was Hun-Grrr, eating Scattershot alive. Alive? Lightspeed reeled again. It wasn't like Hun-Grrr to do that... usually he ate fallen foes, not... alive. The sadistic Terrorcon was ripping Lightspeed's brother apart limb by limb. He turned his head away, not wanting to see any more of it. He still heard the terrible crunching sounds and the pitiful screams. He jumped down a crevice, hoping that Sinnertwin wouldn't find him, and curled into a ball, holding his head in his hands and rocking back and forth. He repeated to himself "This is just a dream, just a dream" all over again.

The rescue team found a slightly deranged Lightspeed in the crevice the next day. It was then that he saw what had happened to Nosecone. It had been Blot, all right; the corroded and charred armor proved it. It was too much for him... Lightspeed, weighed down with sorrow, collapsed in a heap and went into stasis lock.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He and Strafe were the only ones left alive. Though he had heard that Strafe's state was going worse day by day. Now he was in a coma, and no one knew if he would ever wake up. Lightspeed felt truly alone.

"...I don't have anything left in this world. Maybe now I should get upgraded and leave for the stars... could at least forget this and..." he sighed. He could get a faster mode and leave, but how could it help? He'd still remember everything. Nothing could erase that day from his mind, not even exploring. He was seriously thinking about becoming a Neutral and leaving the war behind, but he knew the Autobots would need every soldier they could get, now that the other Technobots had died. Then he thought about the most drastic solution he could come up with.

"What if I'd just off-line permanently?" then he snapped out of it and realized in shock and disgust that what he had thought about was the solution of a coward. A coward, that's what he would be if he'd do it.

"No," he thought. "I'll stay here and fight. That's what my brothers would've wanted me to do. I'll get to see them again when the Matrix decides it's my time. But it's not now. Not yet."

Then he heard a quiet voice say: "Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have," Lightspeed looked upwards at the stars. He nodded... and turned around to face Ultra Magnus. "But when we can't dream any longer we die. So don't give up on your dreams, Lightspeed. They will come true, eventually."

Lightspeed looked at the City Commander in astonishment. He was surprised at how perceptive he was. Then he looked him in the face and said:

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment. That's what Nosecone would have said..."

Then his optics widened and he looked behind him, but saw nothing. He looked at Ultra Magnus, who just smiled, taking Lightspeed by the shoulders and saying: "Let it go. Live your life, for your brothers."

Then he turned around and left Lightspeed alone with his thoughts. The Technobot looked upwards at the stars again and said aloud:

"You just had to infect Magnus with your proverbs... Nosecone, you old fox."

2. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Nice story! Amazing what little gems you find digging through pages of fanfic you haven't had a chance to read yet. Poor Lightspeed! He's always been my favorite Technobot. I've never seen a fanfic about him before. I think you captured him and his fellow doomed Tenchnobots well. I like how you refered to the all as brothers. If they were created at the same time like a combiner group I tend to think of them as brothers too. Good job! I'd love to see you write more.

3. DeltaSilver88

DeltaSilver88 The Goddess of Death

Oh yes, I view them as brothers. When I saw the Protectobots portrayed as brothers in a fanfic (...MariaShadow's "Communique"), I started to think of every Combiner group as bros. ..Though I have a hard time imagining the Breastforce from Victory as those... xD! It's just too hilarious to think that Killbison and Hellbat were brothers... xD

I'm writing more, haven't just finished most of my fics. I'm currently trying to write a joint-fic with Pivot, about the Headmasters's early years on Planet Master. Then there's one fic about a Wheeljack-experiment-gone-awry (serious one this time) and a crossover of Victory and Cybertron. Wing Saber and Star Saber... o0 0o xD (I portrayed Wing Saber in my fic as a Decepticon rogue... o0)

4. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I love MariaShadow's fics. I tend to think the same about the combiner groups myself (except the Combaticons whose origins are different than the rest). I've got an Aerialbot story that I started years ago where I call them brothers. I know the problem of starting too many fics and not finishing them. I'm working on one with the Lambo twins now, feels like I've been writing it for a year (but that's because I probably have.) But I'm close, only 3 more chapters to go, then I'll post it. I look forward to reading more of your fic. The Headmasters are under-utilized so they should be fun to read about. I love anything with Wheeljack. Don't know much about Victory, but I like the toys of both Wing and Star Saber.

5. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

I like the guns and the giant robots, that was originally what pulled me into the Transformers...but after awhile you realize it's not about the giant robots or the guns....okay, so it is. But I like the morals and ethnics that can be viewed. It's easy to relate with, anyway, if it's something you like