When was the name Generation One first officially used?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by griffin-of-oz, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

2. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Is there a link in there to actually see that paperwork?

Also this might just be me but I don't think I would consider internal paperwork or memos official in this kind of case

I guess just like when you're considering issues of canon if it's not on the product that is presented to the customer is it truly official?

3. Ryan F

News Credits:
    No link at the moment, no - if one turns up you can be sure I'll share it here!

Personally I would consider internal Hasbro paperwork to be the very epitome of 'official' use. Just because something's not made public doesn't make it unofficial. I think you're barking up the wrong tree talking about canon, indeed talk of canon seems irrelevant to the conversation at hand. There are lots of ways that something can be official but not canonical (like, for example, confidential toy sales analysis, or deleted scenes from the cartoons, or episode production codes, or whatever).

However, I can't be arsed to get into an argument over this, I just thought I'd post the screengrab here as I thought it'd be pertinent to the topic. Make of it what you will, keep me out of any drama.

4. Altered Prime

Oh I'm not trying to make an argument out of this one I was just voicing my opinion on it

As to. My comparison to Canon maybe I didn't word it right I was just trying to say that when it comes two issues of Canon we only usually consider what's been presented to the public in the narrative

Show to compare that kind of thinking to when a term has been applied to the product it should also be when that term was applied to the product in a form released to the public

In general interoffice memos and communication s can have all sorts of inflammations and tidbits that just never make it to the product itself

I mean would you consider it official if someone had turned up a real interoffice communication from hasbro that once described that the Transformers were made by humans or as cyborgs with human brains?

5. Ryan F

News Credits:
    I'd consider it an official communication...:) 

Look, we're taking a bit of production paperwork here. Things are always in a state of flux and evolution in any place of creativity. I mean, there's official paperwork that calls Starscream "Ulchtar" and Huffer "Hugger". Plans change, things evolve, but every step has the official stamp on it, even if it doesn't always reflect what we see on-screen or on the page.

But I do think it interesting that, even in '88, Hasbro employees were apparently making reference to a "Generation One", albeit on internal documents.

6. Altered Prime

Yeah I guess you're right there

7. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    I always thought it went primarily by the comics. I mean, G2 was a line with new faction symbols and all, but the comics had a pretty clear cut off as I remember.

8. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

In that context I would expect G1 to be pre-movie. And Next Generation would be Captain Rodimus and crew travelling the universe at 4fps.

9. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I wouldn't consider anything that isn't public facing as "official."