When to Start Throwing Away TF Boxes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

When do you start throwing away the boxes that the Transformers come in?
    I'm coming to the point where there isn't room anymore to display all the boxes. The more I collect, the more room I'm running out of. I've got no plans on selling anything, and so the boxes aren't THAT important.
    Most of them however do have nice box-art and I have a few rare pieces that should keep their boxes.

So when do you start throwing the boxes away?

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've only kept two boxes in my life - MP Megs and Encore Omega Supreme. I sold MP Megs MIB for a handy profit (and good riddance too) and the Encore box got recycled a while back. I've just gotten my hands on a G1 boxed Skyfire and I'll probably keep the box, piece of history and all that.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I keep boxes of things that are high valued. For example non-TF I keep boxes for Soul of Chogokin, Shadow Scythe, etc. Everything else that's below a certain value threshold, I throw the inner stuff away, fold the box, and keep them. I have never thrown away any card or box thus far. They are all flattened in my closet.

4. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I used to keep all my boxes, but when I ran out of space, I decided to throw all them away except for rarer TFs or special figures such as MP Skywarp.

5. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I keep the deluxe/scout cardbacks for all main line releases, but anything bigger gets immediately tossed. I keep all the packaging for all 3rd party, import, or big ticket items only because I have had greater luck getting more money out of those items on the secondary market if the box is included.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I keep boxes for things that I don't want to store loose, like re-issues and masterpiece figures. Too worried about damage. I also kept the boxes for my three japanese TFA figures, because storing them in their boxes, I don't have to worry about the shiny paint getting damaged. Oh, alternators too. Same reason.

For some stupid reason, I kept all my WST boxes too. They're stored inside unicron's box. The actual figures have never been back in those boxes. it's a big ol' box of stupid.

I keep deluxe cardbacks.

7. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I keep em all and it just pisses my wife off so I just recently bagged them all up and put them up in the garage rafters.they do take up serious room and I understand that but im keeping them all

8. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right now I keep boxes of vintage G1/G2, reissues, rare stuff, MPs, FansProject, and the occasional box that I compels me to keep it around...but even then I'm starting to run out of room, so I'm debating whether I should get rid of most of those too.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Immediately. I do keep nicer boxes like the Masterpiece stuff and the deluxe and scout cardbacks are easy to store but voyager and larger get thrown in the garbage as soon as I take the toys out. I can see the box art and read the bios online.

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I used to keep all my boxes, even ones that I would open and have a sealed double of. Now I only keep the box if it's MISB or it's a Masterpiece or Alternator because I store those in the boxes at times. Otherwise once I open it, I trash the box and save then instructions.

11. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unless it's G1, reissue, Masterpiece, or otherwise special figure, I throw out the boxes. I usually scan the cardbacks/bios first though.

12. Me Grimlock

Me Grimlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I recently have been doing some organizing and noticed my boxes taking up too much space. I really do want to keep the boxes for masterpiece and expensive figures, but I'm afraid to throw away the boxes for everything else because I'm afraid they won't be worth as much money in the future (but I could actually care less for the packaging with cheaper figures).

13. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I throw away boxes once the figure and all it's accessories are out of it.

There's only a select few boxes I have kept.

14. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    I keep MP and Alternator boxes intact. I also have the Micron Legend Shockwave box, and several Classics boxes (OP, Megs, Skywarp vs UM, etc). The rest are either flattened, or I just save the cardback and put it in a folder.

15. AMG

AMG Old School

I've thrown out dozens of boxes over the years. Now a days I gut the boxes, throw out the innards and flatten them down. This allows me to keep the boxes with a fraction of the space being taken up.

16. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I never keep packaging. Too much space taken for nothing but OCD. I keep card backs if it's warranted. Our multi-lingual cardbacks makes that not always nessisary. The bio and stats are on the back of the instructions. Voyagers and up I'll cut the back off and toss the rest.

17. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I keep all the boxes,and when I accumulate a bunch of them,I put them in a big box and add them to the stack in my basement.Not really sure why I keep them.I guess if I would decide to sell anything down the road,it would be nice to have the original packaging.

18. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hit this point somewhere last year. I used to keep all the boxes, and any Japanese cards and bubbles. But it was just getting to be too much, and I finally admitted that all that plastic and cardboard not only takes up a ludicrous amount of space, but also adds little or no value to any normal, US retail released toy if I ever need to sell them.

I ended up going through them all and breaking down and recycling all the standard, mainline US packaging, period (any techs or instructions were already appropriately clipped). I also began to recycle any Japanese cards and bubbles. This alone cut my packaging down by close to 2/3 in volume.

The only packaging I keep now is Japanese boxes, boxes from any US exclusives, and the boxes or bubbles from any Japanese exclusives (store exclusives, magazine exclusives, E-Hobby exclusives, convention exclusives, whatever).

19. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I currently have two boxes (DVD Optimus and US MP Skywarp).

I generally keep the box for a week or two, see if I'm into the figure and then I cut the back off and (more recently) the side (as it contains boss art and the bio and stats and such.)

20. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i keep the boxes or cards of the expensive or rare items. i have my henkei wildrider box kicking about and all my 3rd party stuff as thats usually worth a bit. but everything else gets thrown out. i live in a 2 bedroom flat its already hard enough convincing the other half to let me have the spare room as my "display room" asking him to turn it in to a box room too would be to far i think