When to Collect Repaints.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

When do you start collecting repaints? Do you complete your original's first, and then start the repaints? Or do you get your repaints when ever you can?

Besides the original Diaclones, there are a couple of repaints I'd like to get. Example, yellow Sideswipe AKA Tigertracks, red and black Tracks, black Ironhide, Sunstorm, etc. But, I haven't yet finished collecting the originals. I still don't have G1 Trailbreaker, Ramjet, and a couple of combiners.

What do you guy's do?

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whenever you can find them cheap... :2c: .

3. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    I'll pick them up if I like the particular repaint or if it fits the character. Way back when, I picked up the red RID Sideburn and later the red Armada Hot Shot because of the Hot Rod-esque paint jobs. I passed on Universe Powerglide until I saw him in Red. I was dissapointed that I didnt pick up Universe Onslaught and liked him OK as Hardhead (but he was $9 on clearance and I really did like the mold), but now that the headmaster set is coming out for him I actually like him better as Hardhead than as Onslaught.
    I'm not a big fan of repaints, but whenever they catch my eye or if they fit a particular character I'll pick them up.
    Later

4. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only get repaints if I like the color scheme over the original (i.e ROTF Deadend instead of Sideways). For the most part now that's how I collect repaints, of course there are a few exceptions when it comes to the generations line.

5. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i used to just buy EVERYTHING... since then, i've wised up and only buy repaints that i really dig... got ROTF Swerve cuz I love that mold, and his new head was cool... most of the new Generations with new heads will be bought, and then every once in awhile i'll buy a repaint if i like it... or like with ROTF Mixmaster, i bought him, and the green repaint, and have the combiner Devastator... well, combiner MM and regular MM look so similar that i'll sell the first one, and then just have the green one and the combiner one... same thing with Longhaul... looking to sell him and buy Payload instead...

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Repaints only if they reflect a character in a good way. Classics Prowl, Silverstreaker, and Smokescreen are good repaints.

If they have a mold difference, like a head, I'll usually bite. Otherwise, I pass.

7. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whenever that character is your favorite bot. So far I got almost every figure that is Prime redecoed into Magnus. I'm still waiting for Bay's Prime Movie version repaint into Magnus, LOL!

8. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i collect them when they appear astheticaly pleasing to me..if i like way they look ill get it..i don't care if its called grimlock but its a repaint of classics prime...if it looks good i get it :) 

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I buy the repaints of the molds that I think are completely awesome.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Being a completionist, I buy them if they are part of a line I collect.

This is how I ended up with 2,732 Bumblebees.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    When a redeco is worth buying to me, I buy it.

12. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Whenever the repaints don't suck.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I start collecting repaints after I pay my mortgage, fill my gas tank, take care of other bills, stock my fridge, feed my pets, add to my savings, contribute to my retirement account, and take the wife out on a date.

Then it's time to buy toys repainted from toys I already have. Hope this helps.

14. Tigertrack

Let's assume all those important things are already taken care of.
    I'd like to get the figures I mentioned, but I'm still missing a few originals. Some repaints maybe harder to get then others because of price and/or how rare they are. Again, Tigertrack. I don't see him on ebay too often and when I do, he's between $200-$300 dollars. Encored/Reissued Trailbreaker is still pretty cheap and easy to find as I've seen him around $35. Ramjet usually around $150 and Sunstorm between $40-100.
    After Ramjet, Sunstorm is the only one I'll need to complete my seekers.
    Trailbreaker and a few Minibots are the only ones I need to complete my original cast of Autobot cars.
    After Tigertrack, there is Clampdown and Deepcover.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah.

I have all of those and I'll tell you how I went about it. I got the lowest priced ones first. The Minibots I got mostly when I was a kid, or the TFC/Encore reissue sets. Ramjet I got Christmas 1985, actually. Sunstorm was from the most recent reissue.

Tigertracks I just got this spring, for right around $125 shipped I believe. Hold off until you see a price below $150. And most of the other E-Hobby stuff should be right around $60 apiece, maybe more for Clampdown/Deep Cover.

16. Tigertrack

Cool, thank's for the info. I used to have Deepcover and Clampdown when I first started my G1 collection about two years ago. I immediately sold off Clampdown cause I already had Red Alert and just this year I traded Deepcover for Sideswipe. Go figures, now that I have the three original Lamborghini's, I'd like to get Deepcover and Clampdown again. But those two come after Tigertrack as he's really the coolest looking of the bunch.
    In my opinion, Tigertrack is what Sunstreaker should've been as he shares the same mold as Sideswipe. Not sure why they made Sunstreaker completely different, but oh well.
    I should probably get Trailbreaker next because he is so cheap. Thank's guys!
    Oh, one more thing. Any hopes of getting original Diaclones at a reasonable price? I can't imagine paying $500 for one, but blue Bluestreak is high on the list of wants.

17. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have Tigertrack, I picked him up for $70 some years ago. He's nice, but I don't think he's worth $200.

On the more general point, I have bought redecos if I've bought the first deco, and I've liked the mould. However, if I'm late to the party, I have in the past, bought redeco instead of the first deco. I have far too much going on in my life to be a completest.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

For me I have to like the mold and it has to be a repaint that is going to make a new character instead of feeling like the same character in a different color.

So something like Thundercracker and Skywarp out of Classics Starscream is an easy choice for figures to pick up. Some of the scout or Power Core figures that take one unknown character and turn it into another unknown character but from a different faction is an easy pass for me.

Now that Hasbro is starting to put different heads on the repaints it's getting way easier to pick up repaints as different characters even though all the other parts are the same.

19. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

I had a rule: no repaints. But then I got to the store exclusives such as God Fire Convoy and Sonic Convoy and everything went downhill from there...

20. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    that's a very smart plan... i follow pretty close to it, but i don't have any pets though... just a stray cat that's started hanging outside my house...

one other time i buy repaints is when there's nothing new out and i want something... like recently i've been tempted to buy HFTD Banzaitron, though I already own Bludgeon, and have Botcon Banzaitron who i like more... I just want him to have him... BT may be a good one to take to work, cuz if something were to happen to him, i'd at least have Bludgeon at home still...

luckily new figures have started to hit again...