When to buy a toy

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MechanovaKing, Apr 17, 2011.

1. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alright. So there's alot of really good transformers on sell now at my toyRus. and ToysRus seems to put transformers on sale often. or often enough.
    Transformers i bought the second i saw them because i figured they would be gone in a week are on the shelfs on sale right now. Guy's like generations thunderwing, preceptor, blur, WFC soundwave, prime, megatron, alot of redalerts, and other that i don't care about.

I bought those guys guy as fast as i could because i figured they be gone quick.But nope....here they are, shelf warming.

Does anyone have and guide lines on which toys you can hold off and which you should buy the second you see it.
    For instance: I figure thing like WFC megaton and prime would have been gone in a snap. but it was the WFC bumble bee toy i saw once and never again.

2. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Ha! This is the joy of collection, if I can say that sarcastically.

Its only a year from now we find out what's hot, available and in demand.

There are many toys I only saw on the shelf once and said I'd wait for the sale... only to never see them again. Do not regret the premium in lieu of the availability; or preorder with an online toy store if you "gotta catch 'em all".

But in general the first wave of a series is over saturated and the last wave is hardly seen, if you are looking for a rule of thumb.
    Toys are "on sale" in November for Christmas, and January to clean out the excess toys that didn't sell.

3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

It's really impossible to say. At this point, just grab all you can without regrets, because I assure you those toys will be gone by May 16.
    Beyond that, you can look at the wave division. If there are 2 Dirges in a case, but only one Thunderwing, go for Thunderwing, etc.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Generally, this is what I'm starting to use as a guideline for when to buy a certain figure... if it's a figure that you really want, then buy it; if it's a figure that you want but isn't a top priority buy, then wait another time to get it.

It all boils down to one's preferences, to what toy-lines one focuses on collecting from, etc.

5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    If it has a beast mode, I'll buy it as soon as I see it. Anything else depends with me, if its Wreckgar I'll buy it as soon as I see it. I know if I dont get it, one these troop builder or Wreckgar rider fans will take another one up. But most of the time I'll hold off for a certain amount of time before getting a vehicle base transformer.

I only really like select vehicle transformers anyway, so its not like I'm out to buy all that is out.

6. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's hard to predict which toys will be available or not. Too many factors come into play. For one, Hasbro doesn't always produce the same amount of a toy so even if one toy is more popular Hasbro may produce soooo many of them that they seem to be the shelf-warmer when they are not. Secondly, because of the way the case assortment works it makes it hard to predict what will be available. This is why TF do not make a good investment. The unpredictability is actually a good thing. If there was a guideline to help make you good at predicting which toys to get then scalpers would be one step ahead of you at great.

7. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The trick is to know which characters have a long shelf life and how many are packed.

If you like a mold of some no-name, obscure or new character there is no need to rush out and buy it. My local TRU still has about 5 Universe Countdowns (repaint of Cybertron Defense Red Alert). Terradive... I think he is one of the strongest of the RTS / Classics 3.0 molds by far, but he's a new character. I'd wait on him.

I it is a "core" character, particularly G1, scoop him up first chance you see. If it is at a store, keep in mind there are a surprising number of collectors out there. If it is online, keep in mind that a figure that goes for $12 on HTS or Amazon, once it sells out, will typically be resold on Ebay for four times that.

The golden example of this is Universe Ratchet. It's Ratchet in semi-G1 styling. Ratchet has a lot of movie figures made, some in G1 colors, that you can still find in stores, but this is the first one in G1 styling in god knows how long... maybe since 1985? It goes for like $70 MOSC or something on Ebay. I knew this would be the case, so on the off chance that I found Sunstreaker, mostly by accident a couple of years ago when I got out of TF collecting for a few years, I bought him, because I knew he would be an expensive pain to find later.

Hound is another example. Hound has had 2 figures total I believe, G1 and Universe, so his toy commands a very steep price.

It's not just G1. Think if they made a "Classics" Optimus Primal as well as they made Dinobot (let's forget Cheetor ever happened). He would FLY off the shelves for much the same reason as Ratchet... there has been one Optimus Primal new mold since RiD/Beast Machines. But what if they then redecod's Optimus primal, with a new head, as G1 character "Apeface". He'd probably be a shelf warmer.

But conversely, Optimus and Megatron they'll always stock lots of, because even if collectors and fans don't go deep in every line because they don't like the styling or gimmick, they'll typically still invest in an Optimus or Megatron (thus, Hasbro and the store make money from an otherwise disengaged customer).

In short: Classic characters from all franches, especially ones who had prominent roles in the cartoons, like Dinobot or Optimus Primal or Jazz, don't hesitate to buy the first time you see them. Obscure characters, you can safely wait. Leaders, usually somewhere inbetwee (just be mindful of how they've often done Prime's faceplate since Energon, with remolding it to an open mouth or closed mouth, from the opposite after the first wave or two).

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I buy them when I see them and have the money to buy them. I could not care less what goes on sale when or what ends up shelfwarming.

Except for those stupid ass Skullgrins...

9. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I've given up doing the whole "time purchases to sales" type deal. If I can get the figure on sale, awesome. If not, its not too big a worry for me anymore. At some point, saving 3 bucks a figure just isn't worth the chance of either never finding it again, or having to pay a premium price (be it e-tailer, or ebay scalpers) for it.

10. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Unless its a transformer that i've had trouble finding i wait and look for sales and try to save as much money as possible (to use on more transformers).

11. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    If I want it, see it, and have the money, I buy.
    1. Who knows if you will see it again
    2. With gas prices the way they are, and the hunt really not any fun for me anymore, why would I pass on something when I find it.
    3. Sale prices on Deluxes are generally $2-$3 off the original price. Time, frustration, potential of not finding it again is worth $2-3 per figure for me.

Now with the movie line, I probably won't scoop em all up right away (and will probably save the receipts on the ones I do buy. Don't have as much of an interest, many will be there in stacks and stacks for months, if not a year. But I will buy the few that I really want at full price.

12. Zer0Prime

Zer0Prime Well-Known Member

I have a question, what does it mean when sites are selling loose figures? Does that mean the figures are used? Also, KO Toys.com, are they knock offs? Stupid question maybe, but I want to make sure.

13. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

something i really want and think it'll be hard to find at stores or will be heavily scalped: pre-order online

something i really want: buy immediately

something i wouldn't care if i missed it: buy when it's on sale.

14. QmTablit

Yes to both.

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^ Not exactly, sometimes when they sell loose toys it's authentic stolen merchandise.

16. QmTablit

Wasn't even thinking about that. I was thinking about people selling off figures/lots/collections to BBTS and such for store credit. BBTS and TFSource (pretty sure TFSource does it) turn around and sell those figures loose as-is.

17. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I buy what I think looks good or belongs with something in my collection whether it part of a series or just one of two characters that were sidekicks. I also buy if it is a character I really enjoy.

18. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    When I want it.

19. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If I've decided I want the figure, I buy it immediately when I see it. All it takes is one occurance of seeing something at retail, skipping it, never seeing it again, and then paying 3x or more or ebay to set that as your way of collecting.

Now if there's something you're on the fence about, wait for a sale. Or something that's obviously not going to be in short supply (movie wave 1 for example).

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if it is a figure you really like- IMPULSE BUY IT.

i have passed up several of the 2006 classics when they were released and have paid financially for it in buying off the secondary market (Classics Jetfire at TRU for retail...D'oh.)

it's the same for any toy line. i bought a 2-pack of Ugnaughts for my best friend years ago, and that turned out to be the only time either one of us ever saw them outside of eBay.

Personally, the best thing you can do is read TFW2K5 daily, catch the head's up on toys months before they are released, then make a checklist of what you want and budget for them.
    Then PRE-ORDER the ones you want the most and if you are lucky, the lesser ones may be found on the shelves later.