When the rubber meets water

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AniProwl, Sep 24, 2009.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I heard from seibertron.com that if you put any rubber matter on TF toys in boiling water and let it cool in cold water. Would it harden the rubber and make it more durable to bends? If so, then Cybertron Vector Prime and RoTF Voyager Megatron are both going to take a bath. And once I buy him, Bludgeon too.

2. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Never heard of that. Let us know if you try it.

3. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Really? To me, it'd sound like it'd crack from the temperature shock. Either that or get soft and pliable when hot, then return to normal when cooled.

4. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

i dont think so, i have to agree with soymonk. all you're doing is expanding the rubber and then when you place it in cold shrinking it. i think you'll end up making it less durable since you already expanded it once and the bindings that were once there for some areas are gone.

5. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Its like a football mouthpiece, its gonna get really soft when you boil it and wont be the same in a bad way

6. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    This is the quote from seibertron.com stating it

"I just gave Robot Heroes Predaking a hot bath last night to correct some pieces that got bent while he served time in his plastic bubble prison. After his hot bath, he turned out good enough for me to photograph. Probably could have used a little more work, but he turned out pretty good in my opinion."

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a common trick used to reshape any flexible plastic. Action Figure customizers use it all the time, usually with the "boil and pop" method of disassembling joints.

The plastic is far from brittle, and it's not like you're subjecting it to ridiculous extremes in temperature.

8. akum6n

akum6n Bootleg

I don't think Robot Heroes are made of rubber...

This sounds like the process for correcting bent PVC material pieces (i.e., the soft, bendy plastic often used for swords and such). If you have a bent sword, you place it in very hot water to soften it, then adjust it to a straight position and immediately run it in cool water to fix it in position.

Given that Vector Prime does not have rubber parts, I assume this is what the OP means (?).