When the expected is completely unexpected

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by flamepanther, Feb 14, 2012.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

So, another movie was a given from the beginning. Since the ending of DOTM we've been speculating on whether the next movie would be a sequel directed by Michael Bay, a sequel by another director, or a reboot by another director, and discussing which of these we want to happen.

Instead, we get a reboot by Micheal Bay. Who saw that coming? Regardless how I or anyone else feels about Bay returning or the story rebooting, here's hoping this is the first of many huge surprises from this film, and that it will continue to explore directions we never considered.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I did.
    May of us did.

And, I have also speculated that it will somehow fall within HASBRO's [mis]Aligned Continuity.

To me, this isn't really news. Bay himself has said that the franchisewill be ready for a re-boot. Many a fanboy chose to cleave to Dun Nerfy whenever he and Nelson came trolling around here and flapped their gums about NOT being a re-boot.

Aside from that, HASBRO said that all new TF media will be a part of their [mis]Aligned Continuity.

Here's hoping for better 'bot designs, and the toning down of Bumblebee.

3. Skywarp2413

Skywarp2413 Well-Known Member

I don't care if Bay directs it, I just don't want boring humans hogging the screen-time.

Day one of TF4 pre-proudction:
    Bay, Spielberg, and others are sitting around a table about to begin discussing when suddenly the door opens. In walks a member of the production team with a folder in hand. He gets to the head of the table and slams the folder down, and screenshots from boards all over the internet slide out. He puts both hands on the table, sighing deeply.
    "Fans hate the humans," he says with reluctance. "We need to tell this one from the robots' point of view."
    Gasps are heard 'round the room. Spielberg slowly stands up, looking at the horrified faces staring at him. He takes the rare, expensive cigar out of his mouth with the hand that isn't holding a diamond-tipped cane.

"Make it so."

Or at least that's how it happened in my dreams. :|

4. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I don't believe this is to be a reboot at all. He said "reIMAGINING."

It's all in the working title, really; Transformers: FOUR.

I think he just meant that they have to figure out which direction to take the movies in depending on which cast members they can or can't get back for this or further sequels.

And even if they CAN get, say, Shia back...Sam's all grown up now and even settled in with his future wife and mother-of-his-child. So it will still be a matter of "reimagining" the focus of future films beyond the handling of the previous trilogy.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Remember the "Spider-Man 4" working title?
    It's possible that's the case, and that's what I got out of it when Bonaventura said
    But then in a later update we get
    Also, when Michael Bay says
    that on it's own could certainly imply the "hybrid" reboot described by di Bonaventura, but then why the need to clarify when that's already what was said? After both of those "clarifications" what I get out of it is that the "hybrid" will be more reboot than not, but might assume we're already familiar with certain events, characters, and concepts instead of doing the introduction story over again--a la Marvel's reboot of the Hulk movies.

6. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    As long as there are new bot designs a better story, and a less episodic approach, I don't care. I just think Bay needs to reinvent himself.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think Bay needs to step down and let a good director take over the mantle.

Don't care who as long as their resume is good.

8. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

I agree. Also better usage of the screen. We don't need humans doing stupid shit to kill time so they can rush to kill the Cons. Like I want to hear how hard life is from Shia LeBouf or however you spell it.

And I would prefer a different director but I don't think anyone else wants to do it. And you all know he loves explosions....

:bay 

9. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks, you raised some good points there...some of which I'd been previously unaware of.

But it's worth pointing out that it's not as if Spiderman 4 morphed into The Amazing Spider-Man, btw. They were completely separate projects and the latter only got started up after the former totally lost all footing and ran off the rails. So it's not a particularly good comparison on those grounds.

I enjoyed the way you put "clarifications" in quotation marks, though. Haha, indeed! But I suspect he's simply chosen his words carelessly.

Michael Bay himself in that last quote even makes note of "uninformed reports" and a "fourth installment," so there's still that, too.

Looking forward to further clarifications, lol.

;) 

10. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    It's not a complete reboot, more like a spin-off in the same continuity. :wink: 

11. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

If Bay actually tries to do things right instead of trying to make huge explosions, it could be good. TF1 makes me think me may be capable of making a good film but what makes me worried is if he actually wants to. I may give this a chance as it seems he thinks that once the beginning is out of the way, he can just blow things up. If TF4 really will be a reboot, it will mean a new beginning which means I may get another of what got me into Transformers. Micheal Bay at his best.

12. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It's not a complete reboot people. Optimus Prime and the Autobots will not be coming down to earth from space again. The movie just might have none of the same actors but still continue from TF3.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    So... same shit, different day?

:p 

14. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

I hope it's the same continuity, same characters. Maybe an in-between movieafter ROTF but before DOTM- show how Soundwave came to Earth, how Megatron became a Froot Loop, show the Auotbots interacting with NEST and learning form each other. That one snippet of the NEST guys training with Bee was fantastic.

Ha, awesome!

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just expect the expected. That way when the do the unexpected i react unexpectedly to it when in reality i expected their unexpectedness but i faked expecting the expected.

16. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Maybe it will be in the future with Hot Rod, Magnus, etc.?

17. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    How much is everyone willing to bet it'll be called The Trans4mers?

18. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I bet you a thousand dollars that it won't be.

19. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

This does not surprise me in the slightest. Who else would direct and if there was going to be a TF4? I knew it was going to be some type of reboot, though I really hoped there wasn't going to be one.

20. Jakest123

Jakest123 Well-Known Member

It's a partial reboot, more of a character reboot... bumblebee gets pushed back, other characters get moved forwards.