Customs: When should you use LEDs

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by encline, Jul 24, 2009.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, with this recent LED explosion, I felt this would be a good time to ask:
    WHEN SHOULD I USE LEDs?

Something came to my attention while I was working on my MP Grimlock. I was going to kill the custom with too many LEDs. See, I was wanting 9!! That included a red/blue in each head, bot and dino.

But, what would happen when the light goes out? His face would be lifeless with the clear eyes/visor. Or really dark due to the transparent paint that would have to be used.

LEDs and electronics should ONLY be used to compliment the figure, never the center of it. For instance, The Fallen I did with the 7 LEDs. That really only added to the figure because, the character has light up insides. Big Hank and others with the headlights and taillights, works great, because cars have those. Light up eyes, yes, on some figures. The light up cone on Frenzy-Rumbles Ice Cream twins, Primes light up blades... It all works. Why, because they are subtle and could fit into the real world.

But what doesn't work? Random lights for the heck of it? My first thought is my MP Grimlock. The LED eyes would take away once the lights are down. But, adding LEDs in the legs and chest, subtle, works fine because it doesn't interfere with the over all feel.

Anybody have any other idea and thoughts about what DOES NOT WORK?

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    i agree. only to accent. and a VERY important factor is to make the batteries replacable. There's nothing worse than buying something because of it's LEDs and then a bulb being left on and the custom's shot and worth nothing.

while LEDs are great, similar (if sometimes not better) results are possible using paint which never needs batteries.

3. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One!

Ebay:
    I agree with you both; less is more.

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "Less is more" -Mies

5. aurascope

aurascope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    personally, I hate LEDs precisely because of replacing batteries
    and possible battery leaks.

I find light-tubing far more desirable.

6. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Its easy to overdo it, I just did a leader prime with LEDs everywhere but in the end I removed all except the eyes and swords.

My figures are displayed in my home theater, which is completely dark so my figures are not visible without the LEDs.

Hakka.

7. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I agree with pretty much everything said here.

LEDs, while a fun addition, are primarily gimmicks!

I know, coming from me that may sound strange, but if the figure suffers when the LEDs are off, the LED mod is a failure.

Another way of overdoing LEDs is brightness. If the LEDs are so bright they are out of scale, it's not that appealing to me!

I have seen some of you folks make painted "lighting" that is as convincing as LEDs!