When selling on ebay (title-- AS IS/for Parts) question.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by LifePincher, Dec 14, 2007.

1. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

When you buy transformers off of Ebay and in the title it states "as is", do you expect there to be broken/worn/loose items when you receive?

It's just that in the past I've had auctions where I put in the title "for Parts/As is" .........What's in the pic, is what you're getting! Even after stating that, I get emails asking if there are accessories included and if any are broken or have loose joints..........:banghead: 

Is this common stupidity, or am I just not listing this stuff correctly?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Unless your pictures are great, plentiful, and taken from multiple angles, people need to know about certain parts and their integrity. I often ask questions about junkers if I can't tell that the part I need is worn/broken.

As far as "no other items come with the figure", well yeah, then it's just dumb to ask if the gun comes with it.

3. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    "for parts" is straight forward, but "as is" & "What's in the pic, is what you're getting!" leave room for imagination. I've found some sellers use those 2 expressions as a cop out on something that is broken while other sellers just use it b/c they're don't know their item or just don't want to write a description, and the item may actually be nice 'n minty. If you have a good description people stop asking those same questions about condition.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    If you take the time to say what you have in detail when you list the auction, you won't have spend that time later dealing with people that ask too many dumb questions.

"as is" leaves too much room for discussion.

5. LifePincher

So as long as I have as is, for parts and broken in the title, you should'nt expect anything great if you win the auction? Well it was my first TF/parts auction mths. ago. Nothing ever came of it but I'll be more careful in the future with the description.

6. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

'As shown' should mean the auction is for the actual item in the photo and that's not a stock photo kinda thing. If you mean it other than that, I wouldn't bother to bid. Who needs the possible frustration? Though listing faults in the items makes you feel like you're damaging sales, in the long run, buyers are always satisfied and you get a loyal customer base. Personally, I stay away from those sketchy terms.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    No. Just calling it broken isn't good enough. Tell your buyers what is broken and what is not. Informed buyers are happy buyers.

8. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah for me 'for parts' and 'as is' are two different things. For parts clearly indicates that major elements are broken, dissembled, etc.

As macmouse explains, the others ('as is' and 'as pictured') lead to problems (or in your case tons of questions) because of the ambiguity surrounding their use. For some 'as is' just means there are no extra pieces included not in the pictures. For others it means the figures are not mint (but nothing broken) so might have a loose limb, a corroded screw, etc. But then some people use these expressions and to hide problems. I have been hit once or twice buying small lots where they list as 'good condition, for all inquiries refer to picture', etc., and then use the picture to hide what is wrong with them. Then I get them and Tracks has his blue paint scraped off one side, Prime's door hitch is broken on one side, wheeljack is missing wheels on one side, etc. For vintage G1, the difference between a decent condition figure with nothing broken and a loosy-goosy transformer and/or with critical broken pieces (a door, a cracked off car top, a broken off arm) is extreme, so buyers can get quite angry if they pay for the former and get the latter (and some sellers seem to be after the former's price range while providing the latter).

I'd say the frequent messages are greatly a result of the way these vague general descriptions are used differently or in sneaky ways. Also, however, collectors can be a bit paranoid and a bit hopeful about getting really good condition vintage stuff, but in our defense it can be disconcerting to see a seller with many individual Transformers auctions selling them all with the same blanket condition statement (i.e. 'good condition, nothing broken, well cared for, refer to pictures') and no further details.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  9. LifePincher

Thanks guys :) 

10. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just to throw in my 2 cents. I'll consider bidding on an "as-is" item, if it's documented with enough pictures, or at least a detailed written description and a few pictures describing any issues with the item. If the description isn't good enough, I won't even bother asking the seller a question about it.

As others have said, documentation is what gets you sales.