when returning a broken transformer....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lumpy, May 4, 2007.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's more like returning the CD and keeping the book.

2. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:
    Yeah, the store would certainly notice if the CD (the actual product in this case) was not there.

3. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

That's kind of how I look at it. I guess it's a bit fuzzy depending on what your initial intentions are/were.

4. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    I would say it was stealing. you got what you didnt pay to keep.

5. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    No worries...they get a credit from Hasbro and dump it in the trash.

It's CONSCIENCE. Sorry, but that was just an abomination. I couldn't let that one slide. Spell check exists for a reason people. Use it!

6. rid

rid Well-Known Member

guys, this is getting ridiculous.

the bottom line is that if you take something that does not belong to you and you did not pay for it, that's stealing. period.

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I only agree to that if the item in question has value to begin with. A broken toy that's going in the trash has no value.

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Soooo....if I buy a Nintendo Wii, but the Wii is defective, wont work for whatever reason...and I keep, lets say the Wii-mote, or even Wii Sports, but return the rest of it back to the place I purchased it from, KNOWING that its going to be sent back to Nintendo by that store....your telling me thats not stealing?...

And dont say that this is not the same as the Transformer incident, it is the same, its just on a grander scale is all.

I used to work at KFC way back in the day when I was younger...at the end of the night, we had "waste" (left over food that didn't sell) this "waste" was thrown out...if anyone was caught taking this "waste" home instead of trashing it, that called for automatic termination...no excuses for "stealing the waste"

I stand by my previous statement. If you have to return something, return all of it.

9. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Technically it is stealing.

However, a defective transformer is a disgrace to it's other toy brothers and may be subject to looting in some cultures.

I do wonder what happens once the toy is returned. (except at Walmart, they just sell it anyways). I would guess, Target sends it back to Hasbro, for a credit towards non-broken merchandise. Hasbro may part it out, but my guess is they just melt the bastards back down and reuse the plastic for My Little Pony brushes and shit. but what do I know?

If you makes you feel better Hasbro screwed me out of Alt Rumble instructions and plenty of people out of Ramjet faces.

10. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

But it is different because the controller actually has real value and can be repackaged. The defective Wii would be returned to Nintendo and the controller packed with another unit or sold on it's own, perhaps it would even be repackaged with the same Wii if it is fixed. This same argument applies for the game (except for it being sold separately). I seriously doubt that Transformer weapons would not be put to any use when a broken figure is returned, and Hasbro certainly would not go through the hassle to sell that weapon alone (if it is even returned to them).

FYI - The waste rule applies for many (probably most) restaurants. If the business allowed employees to take the extra food, they could take advantage of that and intentionally have extra at the end of the night. That rule is in place to keep the restaurant's losses to a minimum.

11. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree. I will also say that I kept Classics Astrotrain's gun when I returned a broken one. I am under no illusions of what I have done.

I did it because I had an idea for it and knew I could get away with doing it.

12. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It would be more like buying a CD that came with a free temporary tattoo (I think more CDs should come with free tats), when you opened up the case and took the CD out it was already snapped in half so it was essentially useless. So you keep the tattoo and return the broken item for a refund, which they promptly chuck in the bin. If you had returned the tattoo with the CD it would have ended up in the bin anyway.

13. RoboRic

RoboRic Banned

14. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Everybody knows the wiki lies.

*runs to alter it about taking weapons off defective returned toys*

Again, how is it stealing IF (we assume) it's going in the trash? Sometimes, trash is considered public property.

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that, inexplicably, was damn hilarious. kudos!

on topic, i dont really care if you steal or dont (unless its from me) but i think its hypocritical to go into denial because of the measure of the act. stealing is stealing. own up and dont be a punk ass bitch.

because punk ass bitches use denial as a morality shield.

• Like Like x 1
  16. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Only after it is in the trash truck.

17. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    When you return a broken product to the store, teh store contacts the manufacturer, gets a credit for the item, THEN they turn around and sell it to a bulk liquidator, who tosses it in a pile and any extrapieces it once had fall down into the bottom of the pile.

I know this because I was the guy who swept up those pieces one summer.

18. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just don't return an incomplete item to Wal-Mart because they'll toss it back on the shelves. Then someone like me will buy it on the clearence shelf, so someone like me will contact Hasbro for a replacement part ,but noooo they don't ship these parts seperately. Then you gotta send it in for a complete replacement and wait "approximatly 4-6 weeks''. Well, six weeks later you get a letter from Hasbro saying "I'm sorry your item is out of stock, please call yadda, yadda, yadda... ". At This point you're pissed off. After waiting a little over 2 months you get a package, so you're burpin rainbows and s***in cupcakes once again.

Not that this very experience as described ever really happened to me... :banghead: 

19. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Here's my take on it.

You paid for the toy and all it's parts. It was defective, so you returned it wanting your money back. I say that if you expect a full refund, then you should return everything you bought. You're buying it all, so you should return it all for the refund. What you did would be like buying a car from one of those car lots with the 24 hour satisfaction guarantee, and then returning it the next day being honestly dissatisfied with the car, but keeping the nice chrome wheels.

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't think I can compare a broken TF with a defective car, or any other high value item.

Yes its stealing, but when the piece in question is a tiny plastic part thats practically worthless, I think a little leeway can be allowed here.

I'd wrestle with my conscience (heheh, no spell check required!) a little, and then I's probably steal it. But apart from my MP05, I've never bought a defective Transformer before.