when returning a broken transformer....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lumpy, May 4, 2007.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    is it wrong to keep the weapons he came with? for instance, i bought my cousin in law classics jetfire and ultra magnus/skywarp...however, skywarps cocpit assembly snapped off once taking him outta the package, and jetfire had a factory defect that wouldnt allow him to stay connected right in robot mode....so, we took them back....but i kept the jetfire gun, and the ultra magnus smokestack guns....they were both things that werent super visible when MISB anyway, and target took them back with no worries....but i sorta felt bad....then i got over it.....and now i have extra weapons for bots that come unarmed....or bots who have lame weapons....like energon towline....

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Considering that is stealing, I'd say yes. If you are returning something, return the whole thing, not keeping pieces..

3. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

I don't think it is wrong. The store you return them to shouldn't resell them anyway, so what use could those pieces be to them or Hasbro?

4. rid

rid Well-Known Member

So stealing is not wrong? I'll remember that next time I'm at your place. I'll just take things from you and just make sure you don't know about it. Since you are not aware of it, then it won't hurt you... same line of reasoning...

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, if you buy something, and you have to take it back for defective or missing parts, you should take it all back.

True the store(s) shouldn't put them back out for resale but plenty of them do.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Not really. They're minor pieces, and the stores are just going to ship them back to Hasbro anyway. It's not like you kept Magnus and returned Skywarp.

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess this is a borderline morality issue. I see little harm if it it's certain that a TF cannot be resold. However, usually taking something for nothing is theft.

It's up to the individual.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Well it's not like Lumpy bought the toys just so he could take the weapons and then return the rest. He bought them in good faith, found out they were defective, and took them back. It's not a huge deal if he kept a small part, if you ask me.

9. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

No, that's different. What you are talking about would be planned, this buyer had no intention of stealing anything, but was instead inconvenienced by Hasbro's poor QC (in this case). I don't think it would be wrong for them to keep a piece or two to make up for having to return to the store and get a new figure.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It all depends on what Hasbro does with the broken ones. If they recycle the parts (which is unlikely), then it's stealing. If they just throw it out, then it isn't.

The store shouldn't be reselling it, so they really don't matter.

That could be something interesting to look into. What happens to the unsellable returns?
    Do they go to Hasbro? If not, the trash? If they throw them away, is there any way to get them?

When I was younger, my sister was good friends with a guy who worked at a local Radio Shack. After Christmas, they would get TONS of non-working toy returns. This guy would set them all aside, and gave them to my sister to give to me. I got huge boxes full of broken RC cars and other stuff to mess with, and I fixed quite a few and used others for parts.

Due to the volume, I can only assume that they were destined for the garbage anyway. Was THAT stealing?

11. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I've got to agree with the stealing crowd here. If you are returning a defective product, the whole product should be returned.

12. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    MMM i would say not....if somethings destined for the trash, then its not stealing at all....

13. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Depends on what condition the toy is. They might just repackage it and put it on the shelves.

I personally think it's wrong - you paid 10 dollars for something, and if you want your 10 dollars back, you should return all of it.

It certainly doesn't give you any room to complain if you buy something and it's missing the gun though.

14. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Agreed 100% Hasbro or Target really care

15. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Meh who cares i cant see Hasbro coming down on you with a 50,000 dollar lawsuit anytime soon for keeping some chunks of plastic... Its certainly not the same as stealing clean off the shelf since you have in fact purchased it already technically that product is yours... The fact that its defective could also mean missing weapons, so i guess if your a super moral churchgoer it might make a difference.

16. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

You'll be allright man. At least your conciouse is good.

17. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

lol i wont lose sleep over pilfering a gun off a defective toy ill tell you that...

18. defstar

defstar Autobot...

It is stealing...probably won't make a difference either way with Hasbro or the store though...

19. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I wouldn't worry about it and I guess it depends on the person and if you care or not...It is stealing in a way, but damage and defective things aren't really suppose to be re sold when return to the stores and if they are it it should be at a reduce price. The store is suppose to return it for credit but i've seen it before where its not even worth their time and effort to waste on doing it.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    So....if I buy a CD and the CD booklet is missing several pages...it's ok if I return the book and case but keep the CD...

Yeah, thats stealing. It's not like the store is going to notice, but still.