When is too far too far?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by wheeljaxx, Jul 21, 2008.

1. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

not to really offend anyone, but i've kept my peace long enough, and am lunging out at no body in particular here, but....

i can't believe some of the questions that have been coming up the past few months. i mean, some of the stuff some people come up with, i can't believe people lose sleep over this stuff.

OK, we all love collecting Transformers and watching the tv shows, and reading the comics, and it's fun to dive into some of the underlying story and history, but c'mon people. its a CARTOON, and a TOY LINE.

sometimes alot of stuff talked about on these boards really scares me and i thank god that i don't lose sleep over any of this stuff. Some of you guys are way extreme fan boys i tell ya what.

I know there is extremes in every aspect of life, but it baffles my mind to know that i know people who put off paying bills and child support to buy toys, or spend all their time thinking about why a transformer appeared in a few season 3 episodes when he dies in the movie. Some people sit and try and figure out an end all form of physics to explain a CARTOON. i mean, sexual reproduction among transformers? wireless communications instead of speaking? size changes, scale, and the molecular makeup of the metal they are made of? WOW!

Just enjoy what we have, and don't lose sleep over this stuff people. There is a REAL life to live out there.

End rant.

2. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

Maybe you spent to long thinking about this. I mean if your not the one doing this kind of stuff what does it matter to you? What do you expect pepole to talk about on tfw?

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'm not really convinced that a Transformers forum is the place to say you think people obsess over Transformers too much, not least because the obvious response is "So what the hell are you doing here?"

4. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Is all I agree with.

5. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    chill guys, you can love the toys and shows without having to delve so far into the 'mythology' (as it were).

and to be honest, some guys DO take it too far. ever been on the movie boards?

6. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

I find some of the stuff pretty amusing and ridiculous also just from browsing for a long time now. But theres no reason to put anyone down over being a little silly. This is the place to do it. Plus you don't always know how old the person posting is. Were not all adults here.

7. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

LOL... there is always a line... and with anything, always some that cross that line.

Like video games, drugs, racing, baseball, cigars, gambling, sex... whatever hobbies that you can think of... there are extremes. :drunk 

And with that, I find it ironic to talk about it on a TF forum... coming from one of the staff member, with 2700+ posts and 1500+ figures... :thumb 

-edit-
    And to be honest... I think most of the people that do those type of theories and stuff, are doing it at work anyways... and not losing any sleep.
    It's just a bunch of people at work, bored and with an internet connection. :ev: 

8. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i'm not trying to put down, or offend ANYONE, i'm just putting this out there as a wake up call to anyone who wants to pay attention, that there is more to life than worrying about stuff that shouldn't be worried about.

Some people, without a reality check, may not realize how far in they've gotten (applies TO ANY SITUATION) and sometimes it takes a poke to come to.

Really, i'm not trying to stop conversation about transformers, and it is fun to read some of the stuff people think about, but every now and then, i see a heated debate on something that should just be in fun, and some people on here are clearly in this way too far (remember mazes and monsters?... good movie)

9. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I can see were Wheeljaxx is comimg from, there are some thread that do catch me by suprise and i'm just wow that someone has actually thought of that. But I understand that sometimes people have that question that they just need a answer too.

10. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know what you mean, but who knows...this (or any message board) might be a place for those people to act like obsessed fanboys for a limited time of the day, just to chill or muck around, then they just go back to their life and carry on? At least I hope that's the case for most of the people.

Like I went on cussing about BT-22 release was postponed, it's not that my day had been totally ruined or anything because of it, but if someone who doesn't know me just read the comment he'd think I'm a rabid toy collector who has nothing else to look forward to in life :p 

11. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

yes, i find it Ironic as well, lol, but in my defense, post count really doesn't matter, as posts can be made in any forum, and no posts are in said heated debates about transformer cartoon physics and such...

and for my collection count, well, i currently have disposable income, and, i myself may have crossed a line or two in the past. This is the reason i bring up such a topic. I myself know first hand what it's like to be down a certain path, and come to the realization that i've gone too far. 10 years ago when i started collecting again, i had quantity on my mind, and got lost in it. i'd spend more per month on toys than my rent and car payment (i was STILL making good money, and could afford it. Never missed a payment yet.) but when i realized that they are just toys, that having so many won't get me ahead in life, i had a wake up call. I STILL enjoy the hobby, i still buy figures, i LOVE watching the cartoons, and i like knowing that the geek in me knows so much about them, but i caught myself.

12. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Don't take this the wrong way, but... is there something you'd like to tell us?

13. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Spending too much time thinking about about other people spending too much time to think about Transformers? What scares you exactly? Whether Transformers fantasy/fiction is an idle daydream or a sleepless night, it's a choice of the fan. If it makes them happy, I see no worry. I for one am always slightly amazed at some of the off the wall questions that make me think about things I may have never considered before. Transformers have entertained me for years, enriched my life which would been much more dull otherwise. Yep I'm a TF Geek, and happy about it. Fans, question away!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  14. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Like that girl who wrote about Megatron raping her self-created (and representing) character. *shudder* ugh...

15. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. Some people do take this hobby a little too seriously, when people start discussing transformers sexual reproduction, sending death threats to people associated with the show/comics/films and claims that their childhoods have been raped, it's a bit too much.

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I see your point, but even though ridiculous, some of the questions are a little fun. For me it only gets annoying when someone takes things to far and kills a thread by being way to fan boy-ish.

17. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

haha, I guess it's just another crazy and kooky TFGD question then.

When is to far, to far?

is it when someone misses a payment to buy toys, or when when someone resorts to theft to get the toy they want, or stays in front of the computer all day(see southpark, world or warcraft episode) fan-boying over the hobby to much, passing up human interaction?

Call me curious. Tell me your limits.what has to happen before you say too far?

18. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:

Did you ever think that many of the people who post on this board may have real good jobs andbust their butts at work 40-60 hours a week. How some may be firemen, police, doctors etc., and they simply use this as way to escape the stress of their lives. Maybe it is just a way to relax and suspend reality for a while like millions of people do when they go see movies. I fear in your attempt to be deep, that you have shown a very narrow mind.

19. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

:sly2: 

dude, you quoted something that has NOTHING to do with what you have in your reply.
    the thread is a simple question, don't turn it around.

WHAT IS TOO FAR??? thats all i want to know....

20. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

He never called out people that worked hard, he was wondering about people that take this very seriously to the point that it becomes their entire life

I would say when you lose all your friends