When is sony releasing transformers season one?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gamer, Sep 6, 2007.

1. gamer

gamer Well-Known Member

I thought it was supposed to come out around the time of the movie.

2. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

i pretty sure the project was canceled when sony shutdown the dept. that re-did the tf movie...the first one.

3. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

it got canceled, which sucks.

4. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

Your best bet (for right now), is the overseas set.

5. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Or finding the G1 Rhino sets on eBay.

6. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    My apologies for the shameless plug :)  I've got the Metrodome UK PAL Boxsets for Season 1 and Season 2 Part 1 listed in the Junkion exchange just now, just click on the link in my sig.

Mods: If this is inappropriate, please delete this post.

7. joshtheninja

joshtheninja Well-Known Member

Get the China sets. Get them from Amazon. TFSource is ridiculous selling them for 100 plus shipping. Ebay people are freeking tools and selling them for to much. Then + shipping. Amazon I got mine for a total of 73 dollars. They are freeking nice too. The packaging is A++++. The original Rhino's are ridiculously WAY over priced for a complete set. The China's are just as good. Read people's feedback about them on Amazon.

8. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait a sec....

Are the Rhino DVD sets unavailable in stores now?

And are they still making Transformer box sets? I'm still hoping for Energon and Cybertron Season sets from them.

9. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The rhino dvd's havent been available for a while, didn't they end up out of business somehow anyway?

edit: or maybe they just lost the rights to TF or something, I dunno.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Rhino lost the rights to G1 and G.I. Joe, they still have the rights to Beast Wars, Machines and Armada. They don't have the rights to Energon or Cybertron either.

11. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well that's a bit relieving. I own all the DVD sets from Rhino except Armada Season 1 part 2 and Beast Machines. Comforting that I'll still be able to pick those up. (Which I should do soon, just in case)

Its a suckfest that Energon and Cybertron won't get released.

How do they lose the rights to one Transformer series and not the others? Wouldn't they all fall under the same umbrella?

12. MicroCracker

MicroCracker Well-Known Member

No, because the shows are made by different companies. They lost the rights to Sunbow stuff.

13. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Yeah, Sony is just sitting on the license now for G1, even went so far as to pull the movie remaining stock from shelves. Your best bet outside of the imported ones, is second hand used stores. Pisses me off though, I sold my rhino sets to gamestop for cash thinking I'd just pick up the remastered G1 series from Sony. Now I can't even get the 20th annie movie.

How much you want to bet later on down the line, they'll do a bluray only remastered version?

14. joshtheninja

Oh dear gawd.. I mentioned that before and some dude jumped all over me saying it wasn't filmed in HD so how could be released in HD.

15. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Your statement is completely and utterly false in every sense.

Sony is not "sitting" on any license. When Sony Wonder was closed by Sony BMG, any rights they had to any properties reverted to the original license holders and not to the parent company. Meaning G1 cartoon rights reverted back to Hasbro and not to the Sony or Sony BMG. Now, where the rights sit is unknown. Sony Wonder is being relaunched by a completely different division of Sony (Sony Home Entertainment), but as of right now, it's in name only.

And I can find the 20th Movie in stores without any trouble. Circuit City and FYE had it in stock this past week. If stores pulled them, then it was a mandate by their corporate offices. But be aware, the original run of the DVD was fairly small (in comparison to major DVD releases), so in all likelihood, most locations sold out and were unable to restock.

16. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    There are tons of movies available in HD formats that were never filmed in HD. Transformers is no different. In fact, there is a Blu-Ray version of the animated film coming out in the UK.

17. joshtheninja

Very true. It's to bad they wouldn't do the G1 run in it either. Thing is blu-ray won't last the way things are going.

18. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    The Chinese Tin box is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. All 98 episodes plus the Movie with bright, cleaned up picture and 5.1 Stereo sound.
    Getting hard to find now at a decent price, I bought mine several months back for $40 with free shipping.

19. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I'm counting on the original transformers dvds to be released in nice stateside boxes next year when the classics universe toys are out.

That's what they did with the first classics out simultaneously with the movie 20th anniversary dvd last year. Even if sony does'nt do the discs, that would be the strategic point for hasbro as classics universe entirely contains characters from that series.
    So the episodes being made available again will push toy sales. That's a proven fact.
    whether or not they'll release it yet is'nt.

20. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    It'd be better if you had a link to back up your own false statements.
    Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (Sony) owns all sunbow rights still. And it was this very site that the press release about the shelf pull, including several stores of which who are aware of it, graced. Walmart and Best Buy both complied and were confirmed several times over. As for other stores I am not aware. But around here, it didn't sell as well as you think, and many still had overstock until the shelf pull notice from Sony. Now if stores in your area didn't comply, no clue, but here and many other places, they did.

Fact:
    On June 21, 2007 it was announced that Sony Wonder had been absorbed into Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, which currently owns the US right to the Sunbow catalogue. However, it is unknown when or if any of the shows in the library will be re-released by the company in the future.

Further proof http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7539

Also can be confirmed through Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

Please tell me, what is also included in that Sunbow Catalogue if I may be so forward?

So please tell me, how is Sony *not* sitting on the license again?

Oh, I'm sorry, they aren't sitting on 'just' the G1 license, they are on the ENTIRE Sunbow Catalogue. Which includes Inhumanoids, Jem, GI Joe, Visionaries, and more. :lol 

My original statement still stands. I'm sorry you were ill-informed.