When is it worth replacing?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DrTraveler, Aug 6, 2012.

1. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Discussion question of the night:

When a 'bot in your collection breaks, how do you decide whether or not to replace it?

This was prompted by my discovery tonight that my RtS Perceptor has a broken tab. He was fine when he was on display at work, but after a fire at work he must have broke when I packed him up to head home along with the rest of my office. He's now floppy as all get out and his arms and shoulders won't stay in place at all. All from one freaking tab that held the backpack assembly in place.

I was looking on line to replace him and found myself deciding it wasn't actually worth it, despite having bought the Wreckers kit to outfit him with weapons. I'll probably sell him and his weapons as a junker to some modder.

So what's the criteria for you? What toys would you absolutely replace?

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it's a Classics/Universe toy, I replace it with the Henkei version. Other than that I try to stick with what I have. If the toy is like utterly destroyed then yeah I'll buy another one.

3. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

I replace as soon as the figure is damaged... I can not stand flaws, to include factory. I'm way too anal I know.

4. typev3

typev3 @VinceSanchez

Yeah, just today I noticed that my Generations Skullgrin has a cracked ankle joint. Now I'm on a rapid toy hunt to look for a replacement.

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    My rule: nothing incomplete, nothing broken. Anything that moves into that category goes to the sale list.

That said, about 2 weeks ago I broke a missile for BW Cicadacon and opted to replace that because Tripredacus was growing on me.

6. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Depends. I have had Leader ROTF Megatron that has had his left engine piece broken for quite a while. But it doesn't really bother me that much since he really only needs for vehicle mode and it can probably stay on if you try hard enough.

I would say you replace something when the all around performance of the figure is lost. For example: one of my deluxe class Swindle's doors has been really scratched up and the door no longer sticks to the ball joint. Since the over performance of Swindle has been compromised, I am seeking a replacement. But he hasn't been a priority right now.

7. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 MTMTE Sucks Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    when it's not reparable. my DOTM Shockwave's neck pin broke in two. thankfully i can still keep his head on his shoulders

8. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

MOST of my Transformers (Except Mindset, Most of the Movie figures and Maybe Astrotrain)
    Though Shackwave and Jetfire are currently damaged, I have no plans to replace either figure because that would not be Financially Feasible at this point in time.

9. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    I just ruined my third Cyberfire bee trying to rub out the paint. I'd replace, since it's dirt cheap.

Depending on the 2ndary market prices, I would think of replacing

10. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Replacing vintages ain't as easy, so that's why I barely touch mine, but transformed once or twice still, of course. Also explains why there are MIB/MISB collectors.

The new stuff is easier, but if I broke something when it was new and knowing how I carefully transform all my figures, I would say that figure was made of scrap parts and probably not even replace it. However, since I only buy figures I like, I'd probably end up replacing it :lol .

11. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

if something major is wrong ya replace it minoir um.............

12. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I love junkers!
    I love battle damage, war wounds and play wear. Every chip, crack and chuck is another personalization of my toy.
    I have doubles .... expecially of classics characters. But whatever happens, happens.

13. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

I've only replaced one figure -- and still have the original on display, so it isn't even really replacing.

My G1 Prowl hadn't survived my younger years intact. The roof had broken, the rearwindows were broken (thanks to a friend who assured me the feet could fold further), the gun was broken, the sliding upperlegs were extremely loose, and there was a lot of paintdamage.

Bought a cheap Mexican Smokescreen during the Mexican invastion and my father subsequently used parts from this Smokescreen to repair my Prowl and repainted many parts. (BTW, if anyone claims that enamel paint eats plastic, this was in the late 80's and the plastic is still hard as a rock.) Of course, a year later we had the euro classics that included Prowl :( 

Although my father did a pretty good job (and especially the steel for the upper legs looks really good -- better than the flat gray), the figure does show its age and history. So when Takara reissued G1 figures I eventually gave in and bought one of those book reissues.

That's the only replacing I ever did. A few modern figures have some issues but either I managed to repair them, or I simply discarded them for parts. (Only problem right now is MP Thundercracker that I want to sell, but everything that can go wrong with that mold, has gone wrong.)

14. anikenvader

anikenvader Stuff & Things

News Credits:
    I normally try to fix flaws, like Animated Arcee, tried giving her lipstick and messed up, so just painted her whole face. Doesn't bother me. Thought some breaks are too annoying, like ROTF Leader Prime's shoulder panel. Also my Prime Megatron is beginning to literally deteriorate. I'll have to replace that sometime soon.
    So if it's retail, I fix it, if not, catch it on sale, if it's older I normally stalk around for a good price for a replacement. And some figures, like ROTF Megatron that have some flaws, I don't feel like putting that much effort into the toy. So, it varys toy to toy.

15. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

I'm seeking a replacement to my Revenge of the Fallen Sideways. One of his little shoulder mirror thingies broke off, just clean off. So I threw 'im away.

It's just a damn shame he's so expensive on eBay...

16. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    If I mod it and I like it less afterwards, I'll probably pick up a new one. If it's a minor break and it still displays alright, I'll keep it on display, but I'll be extremely careful when handling it. If it's just destroyed, I'll either sell it and not bother to get a new one, or I'll sell it and try to replace it.

17. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

It all depends. I have a few custom TF's, those would be a bit harder to replace if they broke. Which is why mine get handled lightly and are mainly on display and that is it.

I have a bust and statue that I bought broken, I knew they were broken too. Didn't bother me none. I'm good with super glue and they look like new.

Really, it depends on how easy it is to get it, how much the figure costs at the time of the breaking and how you feel. Some breaks might cause you to replace but give you an idea to do for a custom using the broken figure. Some times a broken toy isn't all bad.

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I have a junker. PM me.

19. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just dunk in isopropyl alcohol and leave for a day, it should all just wipe off nice and cleanly.

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Careful with that. The iso could fog up the clear parts.