When is it too late to open a figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LadyStarscream, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I say keep the G1's and early G2's sealed.

2. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Like someone said, leave G1 and G2 sealed, the rest is fair game. Check out reviews and galleries of a figure if you're not s ure if you want to open it.

3. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When is it too late, about .01 seconds after you sold it on ebay MISB or MOSC.

4. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!

I don’t have any MISB G1 or G2 stuff, just the later items. I’m not a MISB collector, although I do like how some figures look in the boxes better than loose. I didn’t get into this hobby to resell them, in fact, I regret selling my entire G1 collection as a kid, I think I only got around 100.00 bucks for it, but this was before the internet, or at least before the internet was common. I remember me and my dad laughing, thinking we ripped the guy off, because he paid 100.00 for a bunch of junky old toys, little did we know that he had ripped us off, as he later had ridiculous price tags on all of it, don’t know if any of it ever sold, if it was already worth money back then (late 80s early 90s) but it’s still something that bugs me to this day, so I don’t plan on selling anything by choice. It seems like way too much work to deal with ebay, sell my MISB figures and then try to obtain loose ones in their place, as I do like to collect the entire series, even the bad figures. And I do like everything to be complete, including all weapons, paperwork, and tech specs (even the Armada stickers) I also like knowing that the figure hasn’t been played with by anyone but me! I guess I really just want to open everything, but I wanted a few opinions first, as I was expecting an overwhelming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, YOU CAN’T DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!

But what about repaints? Does it make sense to open those as well? I still have most of the Armada Powerlinx stuff sealed, do I really need that orange and white Red Alert on my shelf? :lol  Or yet another version of Cyclonus? I’ve got like 5 different repaints of this figure!

And how about Energon, most of the last few waves of 20.00 and 30.00 figures I never opened, Landquake, Beachcomber, Cliffjumper, Alpha Q, Dinobot 2 pack, Bulkhead and Bulkhead’s repaint (forget his name)and the Jetfire repaint, among others.

Aaaaaaaaaand Universe, I’ve only opened a handful of those figures, less than 5, the rest are still sealed. Some of them I’d like to open, especially the beast ones, but should I open something like Universe Swerve? I already have Armada and Cybertron Blurr loose.

I know everyone should do what they want to do and there is no right or wrong way to collect, but I appreciate everyone’s input!

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    When you're dead. Other than that, it's all good.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    LS:
    For the past 2 years I have been in the transition of moving and as such haven't opened anything since middle of Energon, but have bought everything since.

In MISB, I still have a RID stormjet and the Bluntman and Cronic- Jay and Silent Bob figs from the movie and I am not a MISB collector!!

Here is a pic of most of the stuff I need to open

[​IMG]

It doesn't show half of energon that I had in boxes, some Cybertron and some GI JOE figs. I think the last toy I opened was Energon Cliffjumper. At any rate I am looking forward to opening these toys, but on the other hand I may be disappointed with them. I figure I will do one or two a week so I can continue to enjoy them all through out the next year while waiting for the movie figs...

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Anything newer than G1 is completely worthless MISB. And if I had MISB G1 toys, I would open them all, including Grand Maximus. Unless you're a scalper, there is no reason to keep toys MISB.

8. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

Save 'em for a bad day, then open a few to play with! :D 

9. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I have a couple of things sealed, but for the most part, I open everything. Never too late to open something, unless it was G1. I'd feel bad opening something that I know a MISB collector would love, so I'd probably just sell it to someone on tfw, or ebay, and buy an opened one.

~X

10. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Much like baseball cards, the glut of the new toys availabe has greatly diminished their value.

G1 and G2.....Keep MISB, the fact that they are a rare find in MISB makes them valuable.

Anything else.....Everybody now buys two of everything.... In 100 years MISB Armada will not be as valuable as MISB G1 because there will be a lot more availabe.

Set your toys free. Can a toy that is not played with really be considered a toy?

11. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Never to late... and here is my example. Yes, it was sealed... and yes I opened it!

[​IMG]

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I open everything. I'm currently after a MISB metroplex. I like being the first one to open a transformer.

13. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

Yes. Very satisfying. :D 

14. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

I open everything, and if i were to every strike it rich, i would buy the most expensive old minty mint boxed items and open them in front of a digi camcorder and post the videos on all the fan boards...G1, con exclusive lucky draw i dont care... i dont believe any toy should stay in a box

ummm as for my answer to the thread...nevah evah... open them

yeah like that

and backpack you are a hero to imprisoned toys everywhere

15. LadyStarscream

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one, I'm looking at 3 piles of THAT right now! :lol 

16. LadyStarscream

You guys convinced me, I'm going to open them, atleast most of them. ;) 

Another thing I thought of, the MISB G1 stuff doesnt even appeal to me much at all. If I dont care about those boxes, then why should I care about the newer stuff.

Now, this is not to say that I wouldnt LIKE to have some MISB G1 stuff, but in that case (unless it was Starscream or Prime) I'd most likely sell it so I could buy more loose toys!

17. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I open most everything within an hour of getting it home. I have a MISB Starscream collection going and that is all I plan on having. Other than a double Starscream I don't buy a toy with the intention of keeping it in the package.

18. LadyStarscream

I try to do that with Screamer as well!

19. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I opened a BW Mega Cybershark a year or so ago after owning it for over 5 years MISB. While I liked the toy, I regretted opening it after I did it.

20. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Always good to see another Starscream collector. If you haven't yet, post your collection.