When is it too late to open a figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LadyStarscream, Nov 27, 2006.

1. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

Yeah I know, I guess it's never too late, but really, if you found a stock pile of G1 toys in your closet that were MISB, would you open them? Well, I'm not talking about G1 but it's something to think about! What I am talking about are toys that I have that are still MISB from the various lines from the past few years, I'm talking RID, Armada, Beast Wars, Energon, Universe, Cybertron, hell I havent even opened many Alternators yet. It's not that I'm trying to be a MISB collector, it's just sometimes I buy more than I have time for and some figures get pushed aside and not found or looked at until later, sometimes years later. The boxes do take up so much space and sometimes I'm tempted to just go into a TFing frenzy and open everything, but then the paranoid side of me is thinking, should I really be opening these, now? What do you guys think?

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

It's never too late, to free your toys from their cardboard and plastic prisons.

3. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I would say open the newer stuff. Set them free, I say!

4. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

:lol 

Also I'm afraid some of the toys will really suck, then I'll regret opening them, like Battle Unicorn! I opened that one awhile back and wished I hadnt!

I've heard a lot of horror stories about the 6inch Titaniums as well, makes me afraid to cut the tape on those!

5. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I'd sell them, pocket the thousands that they bring and buy the loose ones. :D 

6. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Most of the stuff I've gotten from RID, A, E, and C are still sealed...and yeah...sometimes I do get the bug to go on a blister-box-tape-twisty-ripping orgy in my toyroom...but I know I'll regret it. I don't play with my TFs very often, and opening one just to TF it a couple times and then watch it collect dust after that isn't worth "sacrificing" a sealed item. I make an exception for Alts and some of the Classics...I get two of each!

7. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I agree wholeheartedly :D 

8. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Leave them in the box and sell them on EBAY.

9. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Do some research on the ones you have sealed like.. read the reviews.. then open the ones that got high marks. Or you can list your MISB collection and we can give you our opinion on which ones are good and you can decide if you want to open them or not.

10. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The coolest of the cool, like RiD Scourge, Alt Nemy Prime, G1 reissues, etc. they stay sealed...I open other stuff.........

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    1. After it gets hit by a car
    2. After being hit with a giant hammer
    3. After being incinerated

12. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" (this goes for those that are sentient in our minds as well). Freeeeeedom!!

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, it best to open up the toy before I lose interest in it...if I lose interest in the toy while its MISB, it means that I shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

14. Octane

Octane Soul Crusher

Good point!

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gee, I was just thinking if the 'Transmetal' chrome started cracking or flaking before anyone got to touch the thing.

16. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Set them free. If its old leave it in the box.

17. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I would say it's too late to open a toy after, eeh, about midnight. Should really be in bed by then.

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Opening G1 and G2 is off limits.

Anything from BW onwards is fair game.

There is a simple logic to this - for most G1 and G2 toys there exists very very few sealed versions. Opening them is almost criminal as you're taking another sealed specimen and putting it down. Thankfully by the time BW came around there were enough collectors to hoard sealed versions of the toys so now they are (relatively) abundant and there's no real damage done in opening another BW or onwards.

19. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Basically, once the box and its contents have crumbled to dust, unappreciated and unloved, then it's too late :p 

Seriously, you didn't buy these things to keep them in boxes, did you? There are really only three kinds of MISB collectors in my humble opinion: Those that derive joy from perserving a piece of toy history in as close to perfect, pristine condition as possible; those that collect toys knowing that they represent a financial investment and will eventually be worth a great deal more than they paid; And those that just like knowing that they have something no one else has, with the actual item itself being unimportant.

If you're not one of those types, then sort through your MISB items, decide which ones you want to open and display. Those that don't interest you any more donate to charity or sell on eBay or give to a younger family member.

Now, for G1 and G2 stuff... well, that's edging into Historical Artifact range. Anything that's THAT rare you really should sell to an MISB collector who will preserve it (So that in the future there will still be examples of it) and use the money to get a loose, complete one.

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't believe in MIB. I don't plan to sell, and I'm not getting younger, so I might as well enjoy my Transformers now. I too have a back log of items I haven't opened yet, mostly BT's and a few Alts. I also still don't have shelf space for the SWTFs yet . I'll get around to everything eventually though.