When I Say I Want A New G1 Cartoon...

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by orangeitis, May 24, 2018.

1. orangeitis

orangeitis Sick Kiss Players Lover

Ebay:
    Exactly. You know precisely what my thought process was when conceptualizing this.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That also makes me really want a BW remaster. Not a retelling, literally the exact audio from the original show set to new visuals ala video game remasters. Super high-def models and backgrounds, super fluid animation, etc, all to the original dialogue and performances.

• Like Like x 3
  3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I wouldn’t turn that down

4. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

To me, a G1 reboot cartoon would be similar to what IDW did with their comics. Similar alt modes, but updated. All the main G1 characters (some right off the bat, but they all show up eventually). A lot of the same character beats and story themes, but not beat-for-beat story retreads of what came before. (Like Dreamwave tried doing). And, of course, new characters woven into the story (Drift, Windblade, etc...) - fitting not just the story requirements, but the requests of the toy producers that really run TF-related stuff. If the did proper world building along the way, youd have a longer story for Hot Rod/Rodimus and a connection to how those small beast-formers came to be.

Personally, I'd like something that basically takes the g1 cartoons big ideas/stories and delivers them in a more mature way, while adding to and further developing what has been around. Again, like the IDW stuff. Lots of cartoons have been successful at making more mature stories that are still kid accessible (the Batman/Superman/Justice League shows, Avengers Assemble, etc...). Its doable - a show shouldnt need to depend cheap humor or trying to be a mini Michael Bay film. Theres a pleasant middle ground lots of shows have found.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy MAXIMUM CARNAGE!!!

I want a new G1 cartoon. I miss seeing 30 characters interact with each other. One thing I loved about the original series was that each character was given a fair amount of screentime and dialogue. Yeah it had too many characters, but they were charming and unique.

I want a Transformers show with 30 something Transformers coming to earth. And more being added later on.

6. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I really wish we could get a cartoon that functions as a proper G1 throwback. I don't expect (or even want) a direct remake or continuation, I just want something that tastefully calls back to it. Something made by people who clearly grew up with and loved G1.

Over the years, Hasbro has done quite a few G1 throwbacks. The Prime Wars trilogy, Cyberverse, even Prime to an extent. Most of the time the G1 throwback elements just feel kind of lazy, and sometimes even downright insulting (Combiner Wars). A lot of times it feels like it wasn't really made by people who care about it.

Out of all the G1 throwbacks, I can think of two that have really worked for me...the Bumblebee movie and War for Cybertron. Both were made by people who truly loved the source material. I'm sure there have been other examples, but these are two that really stand out to me (the creators' passion is clear in behind-the-scenes videos). I'd also consider something like Classics/Generations/Masterpeice, but I'm more referring to fiction here.

I don't need a full animated series, maybe just a web series or something.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

That's exactly why I don't want one, because every recent attempt has come off feeling "lazy" and half assed. Honestly, the only recent version of that that left me with the G1 Feels was Highmoon's WFC and FOC games. For me, THAT is my modern update.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 1:19 PM
    • Like Like x 1