When G1 ended

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

We all had toys and collecting TF toys during the G1 era, but what happened when G1 ended, what were you collecting? where you still into Transformers even though the series ended?

When the series ended I started a Hockey cards collection, which I'm proud of having now, I currently have 15,000$ worth of cards

2. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    I wasn't around so......

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I was into G.I.Joes just a little while longer than Transformers, but I quickly moved on to TMNT and then Batman things. Batman and TMNT were my gateway into comics, and I was heavily into comics for about a decade. Now, I've made a full circle back to TFs, and have been into them since 1999.

4. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Moderator

News Credits:
    Too bad that was the golden era to me. Meaning less stories, poor art work, the same character appering twice in the same screen shot... A simpler time ahhh. Anyway back to the OP's question. Baseball cards was huge and some sort of transforming toy that turned into a base with little pastic military guys not sure what they were called. Also Boneage and dino-riders. I didn't get back into collecting untill Beast Wars.

5. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

When the SHOW ended I still collected the figures till about the 2 run of micro masters.

after that it was mostly super hero figures.

6. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

And also TMTN aswell

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

are you asking or stating?

8. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Moderator

News Credits:
    I beleave the OP's intention was to state that he collected TMNT as well.

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

ahhh

10. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    I wasn't around.

Sometimes I wish though.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I was kinda phasing out toys altogether by that age and I started really getting into watching and playing football (soccer).
    Unfortunately this meant I wasn't even 1% aware of Beast Wars when it was around and had to play catch up on almost 10 years of TF fiction once I had 'grown up' a little :D 

12. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bailed somewhere around mid S3 of the show and around the Pretenders era of the toy line. Didn't get into other toy lines or franchises - just got bored of Transformers once it went all "neon in space" and found other priorities/interests. Growing up, if you will.

13. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    I got into TMNT for a year or two after the Transformers cartoon went off the air (or at least was no longer on my 80's basic cable package!). Around '91, I got into sports card collecting pretty serious (baseball and then basketball cards).

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    When G1 ended, MY LIFE ENDED.

I couldn't eat or sleep, where would I get a fix of Transforming robots? A brief Gobots back catalog hunt could only last me so long, after all they ended years before G1 did, and in the back of my mind Leader-1 could never convincingly covert into a red truck.

Beast Wars came and went, and while Optimal Optimus almost raised my pulse, he's still a technoorganic monkey. Chromed yes, but still a monkey.

By the end of the 90's I was a washed out dried up husk, barely able to sustain myself on a diet of Gundam and Happy meals. When would the pain end?

Then 2000 came and Car Robots was announced. Convoy was back! I could feel myself being rejuvenated right then and there. Spychangers, Ninja Robots! Autobot Cars! I was so ecstatic I could even put up with the Beasty bad guys.

Throughout the drought, not once did I waver, not once did I go astray from giant robots. And that is how I know I am a TRUE fan, not like the rest of you alloy traitors.

Nah I'm only joking. I got well into TMNT.

15. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I stayed with Transformers thru Micromasters, but lost interest when Actionmasters came out. I traded them all for video games. Then I discovered girls. This led to a job, car and a house. At this point, I took a second look at Transformers and discovered that they could now be collectibles. 1615 figures later we reach today.

16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

I collected Warhammer and WH40K armies. Still do, just more obsessed with TFs now. Sold off all of my comic figures, though I have been thinking of chasing down the Ultraforce figs again.

17. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ended? IT NEVER ENDS!

But seriously, I pretty much stopped collecting toys (Except some G2 figures) until the late 90's when I started collecting Star Wars again. I liked watching TMNT, Batman, and a few other things, but never collected the toys and was never into anything as much as I was Transformers.
    The Dreamwave comics and the G1 reissues are what brought me back in.

18. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I moved on to Robotech, which lead me to Anime.

19. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i was a teen so grew out of transformers! music,raving and girls is all that was on my mind! only when i hit my mid 30's that i started getting back into them lol

20. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    By the time the show ended I was still watching reruns and reading the Marvel comics, so I kept collecting toys. Anyone else catch up on episodes of Transformers by watching Bozo the Clown out of Chicago where they would break up one episode into pieces and play it during the show?

Never did own many toys as a kid, but just going by the release dates of the toys that I owned when they were new I still bought 3 to 5 Transformers a year all the way through the end of G2, and read the Marvel comics till G2 ended.

I only saw a few episodes of Beast Wars on TV when it was new, and didn't buy any of the toys at the time, same with Beast Machines. I saw the toys in stores, and would occasionally say "hey look, some of these guys have classic names, like Prowl!"

Never even saw RiD on TV, nor Armada. Started collecting toys again with Energon, but never watched the show. Reading Dreamwave comics started the fiction for me again. From there started collecting everything I missed on ebay and online.