When Did You Start?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by javaco, Aug 27, 2011.

1. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    i was just thinking about when i first got into transformers.

and for me it was back when beast wars came out. i was around 7 when it came out and got a few toys from that line. then from there until armada i didn't buy too many. i started buying more and more from armada then stopped for a while until the movie. i started getting a ton of movie figures. but then i got on this site and saw all the old classics figures that i passed on when they hit the shelves. so i started collecting a little bit of those and then after collecting a bunch of ROTF figures, i realized i don't like these too much. so i started to get back into only collecting Classics and i started customizing more.

so my questions are:

when did you first take interest in transformers?

when did you start seriously collecting?

2. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

i had maybe 3-4 TFs as a kid back in the 80's.

bought my first TF as an adult back in 2004 or 2005. alternator silverstreak

i started collecting in 2007. right after the movie, my co-worker got me into it. funny i didn't collect movie toys back then. the first movie toys were a huge disappointment but it is partially the reason why i collected. mostly alternators then turned my attention to classics then binaltech.

3. blur3479

blur3479 Movie Prime Apologist

News Credits:
    After I got those playskool go bot things my first was mirage bot then it all started

4. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I was around five when I first took an interest. I had been watching and loving Armada. (Bless my young, naive self). So my parents went out and bought me a few transformers. The first one was a set of minicons. The drill, and the buzzaw. And Dualor or whatever. Anyways, I loved them all. Then we moved, and we were way out in the boondocks. Didn't get to a grocery store but once a month. So I didn't get to many new toys around that time. And so my parents started getting me cheaper toys. Like G.I.Joes or maybe a TF knock off.
    So I forgot about Transformers for a while. I only played with my Transformers every once in a blue moon.
    Then I saw the 07' movie.
    And I gotta say, I was hooked, I bought more Transformers, brought my old ones out from the shed. And I was still young, so yeah, I played with them. But then we moved back into the center of our town, so we spent less gas, and I got more Transformers. And more. Loved them. So I joined this site. And that's when I really-really got into it.
    I stopped playing with toys around 12. And when I got to be 13, I got serious about collecting. Havn't looked back since. I now have 200 hundred Transformers on shelves as opposed to fifty in a sterlite container in my closet.

5. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    A close friend of my dad had an Armada Red Alert(he was a peramedic by the way) and I started messing with it... Afew days later, we went to walmart and he bought me a minicon 3-pack(the 1 with the drill, tank, and saw) and I've been hookedever since!

6. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    I think my collection got serious when I got Buster Prime. I realised I didn't want this thing to get damaged. So I stopped playing with transformers shortly after that.

My first TF however was 2007 Swindle. Sadly he is in pretty bad shape. Really scraped paint on the doors, and one his door's hinges that connect to the ball joint is in terrible shape. It is likely I will have to get a replacement. Which is sad since he was my first TF and I have such found memories with him.

7. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I bought a few Movie 1 figs when I was younger,but my serious collecting didn't start until Mid Rotf

8. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

1984-1987 is when I started unfortunately my original figures were all given away when I got older around twelve. I started to collect in 1996-97 during BeastWars and I havent stopped yet.

9. brittap

brittap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was in from the start, Prowl was my first, followed by Cliffjumper. I droped out when G2 started and got back in around the end of season 2 of Beast Wars and been on ever since.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    1984 with G1 Thundercracker.

11. jono83

jono83 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When I was 4 back in 1986 my first figure was a G1 prime and a hotrod.

12. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I had a bunch when I was a kid, but didn't collect them. I merely had them to play with them. As I got older, they got sold, lost, or given away. I really picked back up on the hobby during RiD. I didn't have much money as a teenager, but I was able to buy what I wanted.

13. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine started in 1984 with Optimus Prime, Prowl, Megatron, and Skywarp. It was rekindled in 1997 with Beast Wars (collected the entire line), hit a little lul in collecting during the AEC generation (college), then got majorly serious again with the 07 movie.

14. Primewave

Primewave amiinterrupting

News Credits:
    It was back during RID but I collected those small figures though. Armada is where I collected a lot and have most of the Autobots and a handful of Cons including Megatron, Galvatron and Tidal Wave

15. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I originally got into them when I was a kid back in the 80's.I got back into collecting them when the first movie came out,but I really got back into seriously collecting them a couple years ago.

16. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    when did you first take interest in transformers?

1987 Powermaster Optimus Prime, Darkwing and the autobot Micromaster battle patrol. (Flak, Sunrunner, Big shot, Sidetrack)

durable and really special Action figures. Without seeing the cartoon, Optimus Primes Bio somehow still got across the Herioc qualities that made him a young fan favorite.

when did you start seriously collecting?

In 2000 I was collecting bandai of America's MSIA gundams. But picking up the Armada deluxe Wheeljack I found a lot in common between him and my G1 toys. The durable plastic, powermaster like Transformation, and Sylish detail got me Back into collecting Transformers.

Though it was Finding a VHS of Transformers the Movie soon after that made me truly dedicated.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Back in '84 I watched the debut of G1. After that, my Christmas lists were dotted with transformers for the next 6 or 7 years.

I stopped buying or asking for toys around 1991, when I was about 12. Years later, when I saw some RID figures, I got a couple and bought a couple here and there. Finally, around the time Cybertron was ending and Classics were coming out, I became a bigger collector and have been since.

18. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    April 1984, G1 Megatron.

My giant robot craze started way before that in the 1970's though with Shogun Warriors and Micronauts.

19. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    :lolol  that was the first one my parents gave me for Christmas that year. However the first one I got that year was G1 Gears in the second grade secret santa.

20. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

I got my first transformer when I was five & I've been collecting to this day.