when did you expect to hate something but ended up loving it and vice versa?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gregles, Mar 3, 2012.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

its pretty simple what did you expect to hate something but ended up loving it and vice versa.

personally I wasn't really that expecting to like transformers prime as at the time I wasnt too keen on the movie-alike visuals and I had really mixed feelings about the movies so the prospect of a new seriese didnt exactly excite me but now I am pleased to say I would happily say its my favourite transformers fiction yet. I also wasnt expecting to find any merit in masterforce after headmasters was a little slow to put it politely but I found masterforce to be a real pleasent surprise. As for the other way round I had really high expectations for stormbringer and I couldn't help but feel rally let down with what little they did with all those potential story-lines they could have explored.

When have you had your expectations changed?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Apon seeing the first piece of full cast artwork for Animated I knew I was gonna despise it.

Then the first episode back hand slapped me, kicked me in the junk, stole my wallet and shaved the word "wrong" into my head before dumping me off in the middle of China town.

When I first saw the most brief of brief glimpses of Energon and it's CGI cel-shaded robots I wa slike "Oh man, this is where it's at!"

Then the first episode stabbed me in the buttcheeks, farted on my chest, stole my clothes, stuffed me into a garbage bag and tossed me in the river.

3. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    Beast Wars. I watched part of Code of Hero and kicked myself for not looking at it earlier (mostly due to the advanced-in-1990s CGI animation).

4. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Hated then liked:

Beast Wars, definatly.
    Movie comic books
    Prime Bumblebee

Vise-Versa:
    Prime Arcee (And Airachnid)
    Rerunning G1 episodes on the HUB.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    This.

I also immediately hated Beast Wars just from hearing the concept, only to later find out how great it was.

6. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    every series i've done that, didnt like it or had doubts about it at first then wound up liking it, kinda see a pattern there

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember my earliest exposure to Beast Wars was a TV commercial for the program. I saw some CGI dinosaur that sounded vaguely like William F. Buckley or Tracks and thought "This'll be terrible and stupid." Quite wrong about that, thankfully.

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Without a doubt, Animated gets top spot here.

I'm no fan of the movies and so I was hoping that the cartoon would be somewhere else to go. Then I saw the initial artwork and read the initial press release and was crestfallen. They spin like the Tazmanian Devil to transform? Simplistic art style and bright colors to make it kid friendly to an even younger audience? Big chins and weird proportions?

Even the sneak peak at the opening credits sequence failed to win me over.

Somehow I completely missed that the series had started, it wasn't until Along Came a Spider had just aired that I realized the series was out and gave the series a chance, expecting it to be the first Transformer series I just drop.

In a single sitting (which is rare for me), I had watched the entire series up to that point and after Thrill of the Hunt I was a fan and had already highly rated Animated.

My love for Animated was nothing then compared to where it is even now. Best. Transformers. Show and Toyline. Ever.

Second place would probably be Cybertron/Galaxy Force. I didn't watch it until recently and didn't really think that highly of it beforehand, but in working my way through TF media I started this series fresh and really enjoyed my way through it.

On the flip side, it's a tough call.

Outside of the movies and Armada, there isn't much that I "hate", but I didn't go into either with any sort of high expectations.

I suppose the closest would be Headmasters. On paper it should be a great series. In terms of execution, pretty far from it. It was a series I was watching once a day and dropped down to once a week just because it got so hard to watch in the middle of the series.

I knew absolutely nothing about Transformers: Zone. I had recently finished Transformers Victory and really enjoyed that, so in making my way through Japanese G1 I had hoped the branding ended on a high note. It did not.

9. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously. I thought Animated was going to be crap when I saw one of those first teaser images for it. Also I thought I was going to hate Beast Machines, and I did for the first few episodes, but it actually turned out to be pretty decent in the long run.

As for the other way around, I thought First Edition Prime Arcee was going to be my favorite TFP figure, but she ended up being my least favorite upon getting her in hand.

10. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Thought I'd love Energon.... it ended up being a bore.

Had high hopes for Galaxy Force from the first test footage we got.... but that turned out to be a bore as well.

I was pretty iffy about the '07 movie, but freaken loved it. From everything I saw up until actually watching the film, I hated. The biggest kick in the balls was Starscreams design being so different, but I even ended up likeing that as well.

ROTF- After the first one, I thought I'd love the second one as well. BIG disapointment. The first half was pretty good, but then it fell apart. That long ass dull desert battle is still going on, it was that freaken long.

Prime- I was pleased enough with the first five eps, but then it got kind of lame for a long while. I was all most sure for a time that it would all end up being a huge waste of potential. But, it's turned it's self around in my eyes and gotten onto a good track.

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

For sure, it was both Animated and Beast Wars that I thought I was going to hate. Animated I ended up loving, and I'm still working on watching the first season of Beast Wars, but so far what I've watched isn't as bad as I initially thought it would be.

I thought I might like Energon, but... yeah... I ended up hating it. Gave up on watching it before I got roughly half-way through the series.

12. TheMrmaster21

TheMrmaster21 I will swallow your soul.

i didn't think that I would like Animated or Prime, but now they are 2 of my favorite shows. Same thing with Beast Wars.

13. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Animated: was Weary (was burned by BM and Armada), loved it and miss it

Beast Wars: Had no opinion when started, loved it and wish it didn't end so soon

Beat Machines: had high expectations, hated it after a while (Nightscream, learning to Transform, Organic Cybertron) though maybe I was too harsh on it, one day may revisit

Armada: Was excited, by gave up after a while (the need to title every episode Transformers: Base or whatever, annoying kids, animation issues, no voices for Minicons)

2007 movie: Hated the designs, but was pleasantly surprised going into it

ROTF: Was pumped, hated it (for obvious reasons, like dogs humping twice, too much time spent on human jokes, racist twins, no other Autobots, beginning of Bloodthirsty Prime) for not havings plot points from novel. Almost walked out a couple times

Prime: went in with caution, wound up liking it

14. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I expected to hate pretty much every TF toy that came after Beast Wars, but that was obviously a miscalculation. :) 

15. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

DOTM (the movie). Thought ROTF was a big disappointment, was sick to death of the movie aesthetic and the panel forming of most of the toys. Was also dreading two more hours of Shia Ledouche. Was not expecting to like it and only went to see it because my wife and kids wanted to. Boy was I glad to be proven dead wrong . Fantastic flick and I consider it the best of the three, mostly due to Sentinel Prime. Fantastic character and casting.

16. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Expected to hate but ended up loving
    - Animated

Expected to like but ended up loathing
    - Beast Wars
    - Movie-verse (though I did enjoy DOTM for the most part)

Expected to love but ended up feeling just "take it or leave it" indifferent towards
    - Prime

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I thought ROTF and DOTM would be awesome. Boy I was a dissapointed.

18. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    Expected to Hate: The War for Cybertron Toyline. Watched a few reviews, saw the images and just thought they were terrible. However, after playing the game, I began to think I might like them and bought them.

Ugh.

I hated Prime for being dull, and Bumblebee was SUCH a disappointment. First time I transformed him a part of his inner foot broke off and then I couldn't get him to transform into alt mode properly. Was pissed and decided no more.

Then I got Megatron and Soudnwave on a whim and LOVED them...which made me decide to give Optimus and Bee another chance. I paid attention while transforming Bee, noticed what I was screwing up (not pegging the legs in right) and was able to get him perfect. Overjoyed. Then did some paint apps on Optimus' gun...his freaking gun!...and suddenly he looks so much better, standing ready to do battle.

Now I love the Cybertron figure like and plan to get all the new figures (even the second Optimus...plan to make him my Ultra Magnus).

19. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

I never thought I'd like animated because the designs seemed too cartoony but after seeing the first episode of it, I couldn't wait to see the next. I acctually saw all the episodes (from ep 1 to ep 42) for the first time over the last couple of days and I was thoroughly entertained an I must say impressed and I was sad when it ended and prowl died :( 

20. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I was eleven when TF1 came out, and I thought "Who's gonna pay to see that? It looks stupid." Flash forward two years, my mom was flipping through channels and I made her go back because i saw something cool. It was Transformers. Then I was the one that looked stupid, because I'd missed out on two years of loving the ever-loving shit out of Transformers.

Yup.

EDIT: Oh, there's a vice versa as well.
    uh...

Nope.