When did the quality of transformer toys started to decline?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by starquantumstratos85, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    Transformer quality has fluxuated over the years, from really good (the RoTF line and Beast Wars) to total junk (FoC).

• Like Like x 2
  2. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I'm ok with just about any and all changes that have been made recently/over the years.....

EXCEPT.....

These %*#(@@( clip on wheels!!!!!! In fact, I don't even mind the clip on so much, but rather when they mix and match the two different types on ONE toy.

for example:

...one kind has the post on the wheel itself, and plugs into the body of the figure. Fine.

...the other kind has the post on the body of the vehicle and the wheel plugs onto that. Fine.

But when they start mixing the two for the front and back wheels DRIVES ME CRAZY! ...and add to that sometimes some wheels are pinned on. Ugh!!!!!

In my opinion, the best are the ones that have the post on the wheels and plug directly into the vehicle body; they are easy to remove for painting, and don't have a terrible mis-colored post sticking out the middle.

End rant.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheGrognard

TheGrognard Well-Known Member

250,000 years ago they stopped carving Transformers toys out of stone by hand and moved to carbon based materials. A dark day for True Transformers Fans.

• Like Like x 1
  4. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Undersea Warrior

News Credits:
    Within Beast Wars, though, you can argue that was a reflection of it's success. They invested X into design, the line took off, and they responded by expanding into more sublines (Transmetal, Fuzor, TM2, etc) and improved the Basic class figures from 1-Steps to more complex transformations.

Prime Wars could very well be the same thing. CW was the test, based on how that went they tried a few things in regards to cross-compatibility with Titans, and with info from both of those mashed it together into PotP.

5. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    classics 2.0 first time i noticed a change to what felt like a weaker plastic this was on hotshot and on ratchet.
    this plastic seemed to keep going into the first edition line, after dotm is where the first major down size happened and i would say the first time most the fandom noticed it, transformers prime toy line had roughly the same size toys but without the big guns that dotm came with so the core figures stayed the same i didnt mind this as i never did like the huge weapons.
    aoe, the trend from transformers prime kept on going, except this time there was a price rise in most places around the world for a short bit it seemed to return to normal though with competitive prices between stores, combiner wars there was a drop take a cw toy place it next to a toy made from the prime line or even aoe arms legs seemed to have sufferd a majour thining, the torsos looked bigger for it but they really were not, voyagers though seemed to stay the same, we also seen alot of repaints in this line, we have had this though tr and now in potp if they stay in this area i have no issues
    Transformer r.i.d 2015 a huge drop in what the toys are for the deluxe price point even going as far as calling it warroir class to try hide it, which falled no one, my fears is this here will be what we see for our chug/classics/generations line after potp, but lets not forget the price increase with the last knight and the new packaging which has not changed where i am, might of for some of you but here it hasnt...

so where to for transformers next well hopefully no more downgrades, if they start making new bots with the issues the starwars line has at the moment i think ill just go out and buy my missing characters as g1 toys.

MP, this is going to get on some people nerves the argument has always been that 3rd party items cost more and cater to the fans more but here we have toys now being pumped out by 3rd party compaines that are better then what hasbro pumps out, but the 3rd party items are now cheaper, just have a look at all the options for shockwave.

but besides that mp toys have sufferd from shrinking and price increasing just look at the price of dinobot and sure where going to get the engineering argument here but just look at that shocking price, though im still going to get him hes my favorite beast wars character how could i not but still

• Like Like x 1
  6. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh come on. We can't have a thread based on the premise that Transformers now are of poor quality due to onerous budget constraints, and also talk up the great expense of producing a Sunbow cartoon. Pick one.

7. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    (New Rodimus Prime figure transforms into four modes and integrates line-wide matrix gimmick) "Uch, look at this cheap shit. Guess they really had to scrimp on quality here, huh."
    (Animation error from sweatshop workers results in Optimus Prime randomly growing five extra hands, all of which have Megatron's face in the palm) "Don't underestimate the expenses they had to deal with in the '80s, people."

8. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Can't say when there it decline but, for me, I can when it reached a pinnacle - Generations Thrilling 30's SPRINGER.

9. JomasterII

JomasterII Nobody interesting

'86.

10. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I think it is a mistake to conflate technological efficiencies with cost savings. I'm sure most of us are aware that computer advancements just raise expectations and allow us the potential to do more elaborate tasks (and possibly take on more work with similar resources). Take for example the complexity of modern engineering.

We may subjectively value hand drawn animation above digital animation, but I doubt Korean tweeners in the eighties were paid comparatively well. The animated movie, as much as I personally love it, was very much considered a bad gamble by Hasbro, which cost them dearly. I guess the main point I was making wasn't that associated costs were new, but were increasing each year, independent of oil/plastic costs. A lot of this is just accrued from ancillary expenses affected by living standards and industry growth.

Having more retail chains in the eighties was a blessing for Hasbro. The fewer alternatives to Walmart left in the game means the greater leverage it has to screw Hasbro over on price and services.

However, I think your final comment certainly hits the nail on the head regarding raised prices and to an extent the cost-cutting exercises used to soften price rises. While every attempt is made to desperately grow the consumer base with apps, movies, etc, the overall market for toys in general has apparently diminished. It follows that expenses can't be as widely distributed between items due to permanent changes regarding economies of scale.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  11. TheIronBot

TheIronBot Well-Known Member

Every since the first G1 figure, TFs have been crap. There has been ONE good TF figure ever. So, if your figure isn't G1 Wideload, I don't care.

r_wideload013.jpg

12. timcourtois

timcourtois Well-Known Member

There have definitely been lots of different high and low points over the years. And it's perfectly legitimate to discuss that without the conversation necessarily being about how "Transformers are ruined", or "Hasblow is cheap."

A significant milestone in my mind was right at the beginning of the TF: Prime toy line. The First Edition toys were bigger, heavier, and more complex. Then the FE line was suddenly cancelled. Some of them were even redone for the PRID line (i.e., FE Prime vs. PRID Prime; FE Bulkhead vs. PRID Bulkhead; FE Vehicon vs. PRID Vehicon).

That moment stands out to me because it gives a clearer "apples to apples" comparison between two different design philosophies. The latter clearly had a lower budget. (I'm not saying the PRID toys were bad. I loved that line. And the PRID Vehicon was clearly superior to the FE version. But it still seemed to have a lower budget.)

All of that was happening in the midst of a major worldwide economic downturn. Shortly after that, we saw an even more marked dip in quality and budget with the Fall of Cybertron line. (Again, WFC Optimus vs. FOC Optimus gives us a clear "apples to apples" comparison, though with a greater time gap between them.) Quality and budget seems to have rebounded significantly from those times.

But over the course of the last 10 years, I'd call the end of FE and the beginning of PRID the most significant turning point.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Current quality ain't that bad as FoC... But it's kinda bad in a different way. These days it's not quality of the design and mostly not the plastic... But the assembly errors. Missing or misassembled parts, misaligned paint apps and stickers. It's like the current manufacturer isn't always up to the task.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  14. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I think the decline started when Hasbro concocted and started using a certain type of gold colored plastic. Quality has had some highs and lows since but GPS is a pretty low point.

15. starquantumstratos85

starquantumstratos85 Well-Known Member

Honestly I think there is some good figures a made by hasbro at this current time but they just feel kind of cheap

• Like Like x 1
  16. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    to be fair, the first edition line was not originally envisioned as a line of its own, the figures were supposed to be part of the generations line, much in the same way the war for cybertron figures were (not its own subline like fall of cybertron) so that is the reason for the budgetary differences between first edition and prid and why first edition seemed to be very short lived. it wasnt originally planned to be released as its own line

17. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speaking for myself, I still love the hell out of this brand and the toys it represents. Certainly, there are disappointments (I really like all the FoC figures, I just wish some of them, like Prime and Shockwave were bigger, for example or the majority of the TLK line) and the changing economic environment carries its own issues (such as a Legends figure with a minicon one year and that same figure's remold the next year going without)

But on the whole? I'm still happy. I'm being occasionally more selective, but there's characters getting toys for the first time in decades. I don't need them to be hefty or have sixty-eight points of articulation, I don't even need them to look complete from every angle (they're gonna be posed on my shelves so that I'd be looking at them head on. If the back of their legs are open, it makes no difference), I just need them to be something that I, personally, enjoy.

For me, that's enough.

• Like Like x 3
  18. halfaway

halfaway Did you think you were cool?

If you want quality and durability buy a gobot

19. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    When did the quality of Transformers discourse start to decline?

• Like Like x 1
  20. gustodd76

gustodd76 Active Member

Without question it was right before DOTM movie. ROTF figures were strong, sturdy and relatively cheap compared to today’s prices. But FOC were absolute garbage, .99 cent store crap. Bruticus looks ridiculous, made of 5 deluxe size bits.