When did the quality of transformer toys started to decline?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by starquantumstratos85, Feb 12, 2018.

1. valisihaud

valisihaud Inquiry before honor

How many smartasses are going to use a variation of "well the engineering has improved since G1" before it becomes tiring?

• Like Like x 1
  2. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How many people are going to complain about how has/tak sucks and hates fans before it becomes tiring?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Could you explaine further?

4. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I noticed the difference when they began reducing the amount of parts in the figures... the thinning of plastic, reduced articulation... I look back at my old CHUG collection. I think we've had awesome designs from an engineering stand point... but I also imagine how things would be with these designs currently with the build quality and sensibilities from say 2006 - 2007...

- Gregg

5. valisihaud

valisihaud Inquiry before honor

Because while your example is very hyperbolized it none the less has some merit. Mainline transformers have gotten simpler, hollower, and less articulate. That's not to say Hasbro and TakaraTomy hates it's consumers, it's simply an observation to made. Saying how much things have improved since G1, thus how could the quality have decreased if all we got were technicolor bricks back 1984 is missing the point of the point entirely. This thread was meant to address the decline that has happened as of late.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Transformers quality has gone downhill ever since Hasbro introduced the original G.I. Joe figure!

• Like Like x 2
  7. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

For me it was Dark of the Moon. You could see the sizes of the cars be almost half that of what Revenge of the Fallen were. And you could see the use of skinner limbs and thinner pivot joints during the transformation. That scared me away because of possible breakage points. Even though the cars were so much smaller than before they still managed to lengthen out the bot modes.

Lately, along with the decline in quality, is the decline in engineering. So many figures these days are arms to the sides that untab and then unfold the legs. There are obviously exceptions, but it's such a lack of effort that it is really turning me off of the brand.

The height of quality was during the Animated / Revenge of the Fallen years. Beefy plastics, Electronics and some bulk to the figures. Animated Leader Magnus and Bulkhead. ROTF Leader Strascream and Prime.

8. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I am in the middle of adding a G1 Cloudburst face plate to the Cloudburst Primemaster. Hopefully I'll get it to work and attach it to the ko Classics Jetfire I repainted as Cloudburst a couple of years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I do get what you're saying. What you're saying is true, I just prefer the Titanmasters.

We'll just agree to differ.

10. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally I’d say we saw a bit of a decline around fall of cybertron, however at the time they did try a few new things. People give foc bruticus a lot of crap, but it was the first combiner with entirely unique molds we had gotten in years and was honestly better than the energon combiners. That also probably helped pave the way for cw and Potp.

The actual qc started declining a bit when takara decided to move factories but even then that’s a case by case basis, only actual qc error I’ve gotten (and I got cw and tr nearly in their entirety) was a kup who’s titanmaster had two left arms

• Like Like x 2
  11. dirtmodeler

dirtmodeler Well-Known Member

The sad thing is, it's EASIER TODAY to design the products and make the molds (which is the largest expense).

manufacturing of injection molded products is SUPER cheap, the plastic cost pennies...

so they are saving parts of pennies by using lower quality plastics and giving us less of it...

especially considering how monumental the design and moldmaking tasks and costs were back in the 1980's compared to today..

you can almost make your own Injection Molded Transformer in your garage now with a computer, block of aluminum, and a CNC Mill.

12. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Undersea Warrior

News Credits:
    But the complaint is made in a vacuum that doesn't take what's happening around Transformers/Hasbro that would impact design. Costs, sales, competition, changing markets....you can't just look at the changes to design/price in a vacuum.

And yet people do, multiple times a day. Though whoever was supposed to make the new thread apparently missed their appointment this morning.

13. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    What's your point? Sure, "anyone" can build their own Transformer if they have that stuff. Provided they've got the know-how, time, and resources to produce anything more than their own personal figure.

We have people who make their own Transformers. They're called Third Parties. They usually cost about $100 for a Voyager scale figure.

14. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2012 when the FOC part of Generations started.

15. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

It's true, but what of the other expenses such as: Growing the market by continuously developing your own IP, using various expensive media platforms (Some cheap like machinima, some expensive like the movies); Maintaining a supply train and partnerships with major retail chains, involving bulk scale world-wide logistics and warehousing; Paying the wages of thousands of employees across the world as well as factory labour costs. All the while dealing with continual inflation affecting every expense, be it tangible materials or non-tangible services.

We'd probably be shocked at how proportionately low the production costs dedicated to materials are within a line budget.

• Like Like x 3
  16. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Listen to this person. This person is smarter than many of you here.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It comes in waves, I think, as designers rotate in. BW started off simple and got progressively better. Armada was mostly simple, and got progressively better until it peaked out around ROTF and War for cybertron.(where I thought it got too complex but most people loved it). Then things went back to mostly simple again with FOC and DOTM. This is around the time where Generations became the main line instead of a side line. We’ve had a steady climb back which seemed to peak with Titans Return. Now they’re stepping back again, it seems.

I still haven’t fallen “out of love” with the figures though.

18. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Last good line was animated. After that everything started to fall apart on me.

19. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

I'd say decline is a matter of opinion, but the beginning of smaller figures with more basic paint apps and simpler transformations started as early as the DOTM line, and came in full force during the Prime Robots in Disguise and Generations Fall of Cybertron lines.
    That said, as someone who came into the hobby 2007/2008, I am perfectly happy with the easier transformations we have these days. I remember breaking some of the earlier Deluxe figures from the Movie and Animated lines from trying to transform them. These days, I can transform a movie tot without even looking at the instructions. It's a lot more fun playing with a toy that I can change from robot to vehicle/dinosaur in under a minute than one I throw against the wall in frustration because I can't Transform it in under thirty minutes.
    Who knows, maybe I was just less careful back in the day, but you have to keep in mind that the average kid has to be able to play with an official Transformers toy. Speaking from my own experience, a kid is going to either lose interest or grow frustrated with a toy as complex as ROTF's offerings.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dirtmodeler

dirtmodeler Well-Known Member

This is undoubtedly true.. but they did have that back in the 80's too..

a hand drawn weekly cartoon series.
    a hand drawn feature film.

There were more retail chains in the 1980's than there are now.. hasbro sells more direct-to-customer in 2017 then they have in their lifetime.

wages have definitely increased, but so has efficiency...

almost nothing was computerized in 1984, almost everything is today...

all that aside? kids don't play with toys the way we all did when Transformers G1 was on the shelves....